Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Found the stats [MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] - it was Statsbomb - https://statsbomb.com/2021/08/brighton-hove-albion-season-preview-2021-22/ - it's a very interesting read.

"Only six teams reached the final third more often than Brighton last season. Only three completed more passes inside the penalty box. Only Leeds completed more cutbacks. Brighton controlled the territory effectively, but their slow build-up did come at the cost of some shot clarity: their opponents had an average of 3.6 defenders behind the location of the ball when Brighton shot from inside the box. That number was the highest in the league, as was the 39% rate of those shots being blocked".

Excellent, thanks. Top research.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Found the stats [MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] - it was Statsbomb - https://statsbomb.com/2021/08/brighton-hove-albion-season-preview-2021-22/ - it's a very interesting read.

"Only six teams reached the final third more often than Brighton last season. Only three completed more passes inside the penalty box. Only Leeds completed more cutbacks. Brighton controlled the territory effectively, but their slow build-up did come at the cost of some shot clarity: their opponents had an average of 3.6 defenders behind the location of the ball when Brighton shot from inside the box. That number was the highest in the league, as was the 39% rate of those shots being blocked".
Obvious viewing last season people raved about our play yet it was not effective in the final third which kind of makes it pointless.

We would huff and puff and then get caught out with a simple ball down the middle.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Have you really got 50 people on ignore :lol: ? I know you threatened me with it once.

Fifty one to be precise. I seem to recall that you had a surprising moment and I suspected wummery, but was mistaken. I find it a very useful tool, necessary for personal mental health reasons, which I have noted elsewhere, and without it I'd not be able to use NSC.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2

I knew we had an insane number of shots blocked last season as I remember becoming increasingly desperate watching on telly seeing the number of occasions we'd get the ball into a (seemingly) promising position only to hit it into a wall of defenders. It's re-assuring (sort of) to see that backed up by the numbers.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Aside from all the bickering on this post it seems there is some basis for the rumour.....according to Football Insider

https://www.footballinsider247.com/...n-move-to-sign-celtic-star-edouard-next-week/

TNBA

TTF

Yep. As stated way back earlier in the thread, there does seem to be a lot of smoke to this one. I remain open minded to this deal being attempted despite the Brighton ITKs saying otherwise.

And there are reports we’ve made a new 32m Euros bid for Nunez. I wonder if it’s possible we’re going for BOTH players?

Just like busses eh. Wait for one striker.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

This is really interesting.

What’s harder to gauge is our struggle against a low block. For me, that low defensive block just sits there with a lot of bottom half teams (see Palace at home) so however fast or slow the build up, our attack is going to hit the same wall because low blocks are predominantly zonal rather than man-to-man which makes it tough to move the players about (this tactic worked beautifully against Newcastle at home but was rare). There is just no space for us to play in with so many opposition players in the box who just predominantly stay there.

They are so hard to break down, when you watch a top six vs low block contest, it’s inevitably a piece of world class play that breaks the deadlock, that’s where we struggle because we are not a club like Man City who can resolve this by grabbing Kane & Grealish for £200m+.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

If you have quick players, you can attack with less numbers. With someone like Lamptey you can attack very quick because he got the pace to take on players one on one or even one vs two. Unfortunately there is not a lot of pace in this team and most players either need to turn around to retain the ball within the team or go for a 1on1 that they are most likely going to lose. Pace is also the most difficult thing to improve in a player, its difficult to solve it through training. What you can hope for and work with is the insight of the players however. The quicker they are able to read the game, the faster they will appear. But raw pace is obviously useful as well and there is not too much of it.

Every manager know however that you have the biggest chance of scoring within 10 seconds of winning the ball. After that, the chance of scoring decreases substantially with each second. It creates a difficult balance act for any team that dont really have great counter-attacking players because a poor counter-attack usually leaves the team a bit out of shape and gives the opponents a 10 second chance to score.

Hopefully some players can improve their pace and (more likely) insight and hopefully a few of the fairly quick fringe players (like Tau) could break into the team. I have no doubt GP and others want the team to attack quicker when there is a possibility and if we compare the not-so-quick team today with the team GP took over, there has definitely been some increase in pace in most areas of the pitch and I expect that to continue. On a sidenote it also highlights what a fantastic job Chris Hughton did because the squad he had is possibly the slowest one to stay up in the league for the last 20 years or so.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Fifty one to be precise. I seem to recall that you had a surprising moment and I suspected wummery, but was mistaken. I find it a very useful tool, necessary for personal mental health reasons, which I have noted elsewhere, and without it I'd not be able to use NSC.

57 here. And I bet our lists are 90% the same. I find the trick with the ignore list is to also learn the discipline of not peeking under the rocks for the pond life (also known as clicking that convenient "see post" button). It took me a while to master that but I've got it down pat now. I find that you can tell what they are saying based on the saner posters' replies anyway, so this way I can still keep the gist of a thread without having to read the opinions of chimpanzees.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
57 here. And I bet our lists are 90% the same. I find the trick with the ignore list is to also learn the discipline of not peeking under the rocks for the pond life (also known as clicking that convenient "see post" button). It took me a while to master that but I've got it down pat now. I find that you can tell what they are saying based on the saner posters' replies anyway, so this way I can still keep the gist of a thread without having to read the opinions of chimpanzees.

:lolol: indeed.

Yes, the nature of the reply (which always reminds me of Arkell v. Pressdram: https://prunescape.fandom.com/wiki/The_Reply_Given_in_Arkell_v_Pressdram_(1971)).

I have made the recent mistake of peeking in order to lend moral support to like minded folk in the bear pit, but am going back to golden silence for three reasons, and hope that my compadres will understand. ???

:thumbsup:

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
Benched in Celtic's Europa League qualification game vs Czech team. Celtic 2-1 up

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Why are we talking about a Celtic player. There is zero evidence that we are interested in the player. ZERO

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Why are we talking about a Celtic player. There is zero evidence that we are interested in the player. ZERO

Read up thread. Daily Record, Football Insider and multiple accounts in excess of 50-100k followers including Celtic sources.

It’s as good as info as you’ll get from any transfer rumour, so not sure why it bothers you so if people want to discuss it?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Thanks, that's great as I hadn't seen these stats before.

Makes sense on the XG stat too if every shot has 3.6 players between the ball and the goal. You'll get the odd deflection but 99%of the time it'll be blocked or saved.

I can't remember many 1 on 1s with the keeper. Welbz and Tross goals both cutting in from the right were scored before Citeh had set up properly.

With CH, we defended and hit them on the break with Knocky, Muzza, Solly Isquedo, Lua Lua and so on. We don't see that anymore. Andones goal vs Them being a good example.

Only goes to reinforce what Not Andy Naylor says about the ponderous midfield.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Read up thread. Daily Record, Football Insider and multiple accounts in excess of 50-100k followers including Celtic sources.

It’s as good as info as you’ll get from any transfer rumour, so not sure why it bothers you so if people want to discuss it?

Football Insider :lolol:

Throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Football Insider :lolol:

Throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks.

I’m hardly inventing anything. In fact many others have shared links. You need to get with the times a bit I think. Most transfer news breaks on socials long before they’re officially announced.

I suppose you’re also questioning The Daily Record and all other sources linked in this thread?

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
If you have quick players, you can attack with less numbers. With someone like Lamptey you can attack very quick because he got the pace to take on players one on one or even one vs two. Unfortunately there is not a lot of pace in this team and most players either need to turn around to retain the ball within the team or go for a 1on1 that they are most likely going to lose. Pace is also the most difficult thing to improve in a player, its difficult to solve it through training. What you can hope for and work with is the insight of the players however. The quicker they are able to read the game, the faster they will appear. But raw pace is obviously useful as well and there is not too much of it.

Every manager know however that you have the biggest chance of scoring within 10 seconds of winning the ball. After that, the chance of scoring decreases substantially with each second. It creates a difficult balance act for any team that dont really have great counter-attacking players because a poor counter-attack usually leaves the team a bit out of shape and gives the opponents a 10 second chance to score.

Hopefully some players can improve their pace and (more likely) insight and hopefully a few of the fairly quick fringe players (like Tau) could break into the team. I have no doubt GP and others want the team to attack quicker when there is a possibility and if we compare the not-so-quick team today with the team GP took over, there has definitely been some increase in pace in most areas of the pitch and I expect that to continue. On a sidenote it also highlights what a fantastic job Chris Hughton did because the squad he had is possibly the slowest one to stay up in the league for the last 20 years or so.

Great post regarding pace. Izquierdo was invalauble for us and as a outlet in the first year of the PL. We have very little pace in the starting 11 now. Makes the signings of AJ and Locadia look all the more galling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here