Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Is it after timing if you've said it before the event?

As a previous poster said, he wouldn't have been our top earner. Strikers inevitably are going to command a higher wage

I don't think there is an absolute rule of a wage we will not go above, but there is an overall budget that if we go over could result in a transfer embargo. My suspicion is that the large number of players that went out on loan this season was in part to make room in the wage budget for a new striker. My guess is that striker was Darwin Nunez, and that if we could have got Locadia off the books we might have had the budget to pay his wage demand.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
A few thoughts:

If we were in for him but couldn’t afford him then let’s stop talking about becoming an established top ten team because if we truly can’t afford the wages of a player like him from Celtic then until our financial structure changes it won’t happen.

If we weren’t in for him then it seems a missed opportunity. He is clearly a big upgrade on Connolly and is at a level with Welbeck but with a far better fitness record and is at an age where he can grow and develop.

Either way until we finally get the elusive additional forward option and while we only have two fit viable striker options then it will be frustrating for some of us to watch players like this scoring for our rivals. In a handful of games he has already scored more than Connolly managed all last season which grates.

Agree with all of this. The fella saying he was only a slight upgrade on Locadia is clueless. Edouard will make many appearances at PL level and will score a good number of goals. Palace have done well to get him

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don't think there is an absolute rule of a wage we will not go above, but there is an overall budget that if we go over could result in a transfer embargo. My suspicion is that the large number of players that went out on loan this season was in part to make room in the wage budget for a new striker. My guess is that striker was Darwin Nunez, and that if we could have got Locadia off the books we might have had the budget to pay his wage demand.

I don't think there is a suggestion that we may imminently breach FFP? But I get the point that we (ie Tony) might not want to spend that sort of money, which is fair enough. But PL quality strikers are going to command those high wages. £80k is actually far from the highest that mid table PL teams are paying for a striker

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Agree with all of this. The fella saying he was only a slight upgrade on Locadia is clueless. Edouard will make many appearances at PL level and will score a good number of goals. Palace have done well to get him

There's being facetious and then there's you being clueless chap.

Palace are welcome to him at the inflated wages they love to pay. Whilst we still have the quality of Locadia on the bench we can't be taking expensive gambles on want-away young strikers.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
A few thoughts:

If we were in for him but couldn’t afford him then let’s stop talking about becoming an established top ten team because if we truly can’t afford the wages of a player like him from Celtic then until our financial structure changes it won’t happen.

If we weren’t in for him then it seems a missed opportunity. He is clearly a big upgrade on Connolly and is at a level with Welbeck but with a far better fitness record and is at an age where he can grow and develop.

Either way until we finally get the elusive additional forward option and while we only have two fit viable striker options then it will be frustrating for some of us to watch players like this scoring for our rivals. In a handful of games he has already scored more than Connolly managed all last season which grates.

We could have bought Ivan Toney 2 seasons ago, but didn't. I bet he has a better season and future career in the Prem than Edouard, and is on less than a third the wage currently I would think. Edouard is decent, but not good value, I am happy the recruitment team has a better handle on the market than any of us and has better targets and will not panic buy which can ultimately be far more costly.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I don't think there is a suggestion that we may imminently breach FFP? But I get the point that we (ie Tony) might not want to spend that sort of money, which is fair enough. But PL quality strikers are going to command those high wages. £80k is actually far from the highest that mid table PL teams are paying for a striker

The sustainability rules allow for £105M total loss over 3 years, they take the last 2 years actual accounts and a predicted Profit and Loss account for the coming season. Losses were £88.4M over the last 2 seasons that there are published accounts for, we would likely already have above the normal permitted losses, without the sale of Ben White.
However, I am not sure what the deal with broadcasters was to show all games, or what the adjustment is that has been made to the rules to allow for Covid related losses.

But, there is another rule that you cannot increase the wage bill by more than £7M from the previous season, unless you can show that you have increased revenues other than broadcast revenues by at least the amount over £7M that you wish to go.
Eduoard would have added around £4M to the wage bill,
Nunez probably would have added £3M,
Cucurella I am guessing adds around £2M, Mwepu £2.5ish, Scherpen in, and Roberts, Richards coming onto the senior team wage bill probably adds £1M, Ben White is off it, but Duffy and Locadia being back sticks c£5M on it Propper, Jahanbakhsh, Izquierdo off it, probably puts £6M back in. So excluding any improved contracts to existing players, and if my estimates are close we have already increased the wage bill by c£3.5M on last season, meaning a £4M a season striker is outside of the increase we can make.

Edit: I am struggling to find the evidence for the Wage increase limit I have stated, it certainly did exist, but I am struggling to find what the current rules are.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The sustainability rules allow for £105M total loss over 3 years, they take the last 2 years actual accounts and a predicted Profit and Loss account for the coming season. Losses were £88.4M over the last 2 seasons that there are published accounts for, we would likely already have above the normal permitted losses, without the sale of Ben White.
However, I am not sure what the deal with broadcasters was to show all games, or what the adjustment is that has been made to the rules to allow for Covid related losses.

But, there is another rule that you cannot increase the wage bill by more than £7M from the previous season, unless you can show that you have increased revenues other than broadcast revenues by at least the amount over £7M that you wish to go.
Cucurella I am guessing adds around £2M, Mwepu £2.5ish, Scherpen in, and Roberts, Richards coming onto the senior team wage bill probably adds £1M, Ben White is off it, but Duffy and Locadia being back sticks c£5M on it Propper, Jahanbakhsh, Izquierdo off it, probably puts £6M back in. So excluding any improved contracts to existing players, and if my estimates are close we have already increased the wage bill by c£3.5M on last season, meaning a £4M a season striker is outside of the increase we can make.

I've got to say, i've never heard of that £7m rule. But I suppose Newcastle over the next year or so will provide some sort of measure about how strictly it's being enforced.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Is this "what could have been" thing going to go on for the 4 years of his contract? Oh dear..

Anyway, I was against signing him and I may or may not be wrong on how I percieved his ability. We'll see about that, its early yet and could still go very bad or he could do really well or anywhere in between. Too early.

What I do know however is that he didnt come and wont be coming either. Limited reason to cry over wasted milk.

On whether the club was interested or not, we'll probably never know. He might still have gone with CP due to money, French manager, London, whatever really. Even if Brighton wanted to sign him there are no guarantees it would have worked.

Hopefully he will be shit for them in the long run..

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I've got to say, i've never heard of that £7m rule. But I suppose Newcastle over the next year or so will provide some sort of measure about how strictly it's being enforced.

Trying to find the evidence for it, but I can't at the minute. There is a good chance the rules are tweaked and different this season, regarding PL sustainability, but the point remains, there will be some constraints on what Tony can do, not just what he is willing to do. I believe the UEFA rules are even tougher, so maybe it is those, can you imagine if we finished in a Europa League or CL spot but couldn't compete because we had slightly overdone it and busted the financial rules?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Edit: I am struggling to find the evidence for the Wage increase limit I have stated, it certainly did exist, but I am struggling to find what the current rules are.

The 88.4m losses will have included a significant chunk of costs that are exempt from P&S rules: Stadium and training ground depreciation, academy costs, women's football expenditure, AITC. Probably something in the region of 20m over the course of 2 seasons, so I doubt we were sailing that close to the wind with regard the 105m limit even before Arsenal donated 50m for our 3rd best defender.

I seem to remember something about maximum wage increase now you mention it, althoug I think it was a percentage. Can't find it on a Google search either though so maybe I'm imagining it.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The 88.4m losses will have included a significant chunk of costs that are exempt from P&S rules: Stadium and training ground depreciation, academy costs, women's football expenditure, AITC. Probably something in the region of 20m over the course of 2 seasons, so I doubt we were sailing that close to the wind with regard the 105m limit even before Arsenal donated 50m for our 3rd best defender.

I seem to remember something about maximum wage increase now you mention it, althoug I think it was a percentage. Can't find it on a Google search either though so maybe I'm imagining it.

Not so sure, £21M was the loss Potters first year, club stated it expected increased losses for the following year as it increased the playing budget, but then Covid hit and the loss was £67M in that year. No fans in the stadium last season would be a loss of c£20M in expected revenue, but I don't know how much, (if any?) additional Broadcast income from all games being shown live. You'd think advertising in empty stadiums might be a hard sell too, BW transfer fee is unlikely to be coming in all at once, maybe £30M up front, and I believe the 3 seasons that are taken into account are the last 2 and the next one, so the years will be the £67M loss season, last season (£30M?) and the coming year, I can't see how we are not breaking the £105M limit, but again, no idea if that limit is still valid.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Is this "what could have been" thing going to go on for the 4 years of his contract? Oh dear..

Anyway, I was against signing him and I may or may not be wrong on how I percieved his ability. We'll see about that, its early yet and could still go very bad or he could do really well or anywhere in between. Too early.

What I do know however is that he didnt come and wont be coming either. Limited reason to cry over wasted milk.

On whether the club was interested or not, we'll probably never know. He might still have gone with CP due to money, French manager, London, whatever really. Even if Brighton wanted to sign him there are no guarantees it would have worked.

Hopefully he will be shit for them in the long run..

Could not agree more Swanny

We were never interested,just agent talk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can I make a plea to either lock this thread or not bounce it. We were never in for this guy. It looks a bit silly and gives Nigel’s the usual any excuse to latch onto pure lies eh… bored of it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
About Edouard. I said at the time we were competing for his signature that he's someone who'll go on to have a very handy career in the PL and he would be a great addition for us. Also I advised to ignore this stuff about the Scottish leagues as we sign players from all sorts of poorer leagues and many of those go on to do well. I'm feeling there's fewer likely to shout me down now than then.

Vaga! Why the change in username? You weren’t banned permanently…!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here