Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oceanic White Tip in Cornish waters.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
They do this ever single Summer.

Although this time it looks like they've gone for a slightly more believable option as the "Great White in English Waters" story is getting a bit obvious.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
A tip I learned in the Navy that has stood me well through the years. Sharks only attack you if youre wet.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
We're going to need a bigger boat! :fishing:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I had a face to face encounter with a White Tip Reef Shark... but that was last year... and in the Maldives... and it was decidedly disinterested in biting chunks out of me.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Almost certainly a basking shark - totally harmless (unless you are plankton)

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I had shark for dinner in thailand.....it was abit bland.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I had a face to face encounter with a White Tip Reef Shark... but that was last year... and in the Maldives... and it was decidedly disinterested in biting chunks out of me.

Yeah I did that in the Galapagosd, with 3 of them. They gave me this look of "Oh here come the f***ing humans staring at us again, lets sod off to deeper water where they'll stop bothering us".

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Oceanic white tips probably kill more people than any other shark, including the bull shark. They normally swim in groups and are the sharks responsible for polishing off the victims of capsized boats or plane crashes because they are quite abundant in open water, and are rarely seen anywhere near land. They were the sharks that scoffed about 1,000 American soldiers off the coast of Egypt after some famous naval battle in WW2 - when USS Indianapolis was sunk.

It must be a concern that a OWT has been spotted so close to land, as presumably this points to a lack of food in the open water?

Oceanic white tips probably kill more people than any other shark, including the bull shark. They normally swim in groups and are the sharks responsible for polishing off the victims of capsized boats or plane crashes because they are quite abundant in open water, and are rarely seen anywhere near land. They were the sharks that scoffed about 1,000 American soldiers off the coast of Egypt after some famous naval battle in WW2 - when USS Indianapolis was sunk.

It must be a concern that a OWT has been spotted so close to land, as presumably this points to a lack of food in the open water?

I thought the Indianapolis was the ship that delivered the A Bomb to Guam, so secret that no-one knew where it was so when it didn't arrive back in port no-one bothered.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Yeah I did that in the Galapagosd, with 3 of them. They gave me this look of "Oh here come the f***ing humans staring at us again, lets sod off to deeper water where they'll stop bothering us".

Ah, well I wasn't actually looking for sharks... its a bit of a shock when you look around and a shark that is pretty much the same length as you just meanders past a few feet away on whatever journey its on. I'm just glad that I'm not prone to panicking.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
" smile! you bastard! "

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
' twas only a li'l puuddie cat really

Attachments

• shark.bmp
    147.8 KB · Views: 291

nomoremithras4me