Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O'Callaghan should NEVER have been sent off

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Fraser has done well for us, but he's a different type of player.
Carving out a point or three away at the likes of Hartlepool, his tenacity and discipline (positionally) is ideal.

At home against half the crud in this division we need that extra creativity that O'Callaghan brings. That said, games away at Torquay and Donnie, with a home against Forest, I'm sure Fraser will step up to the plate and do a job for us.

But whatever way you slice it, O'Callaghans moment of idiocy has cut down our options.

Possibly. You could also have Butters alongside Lynch in defence, in order for El-Abd to play in midfield. I still think he can do a job there. Really.

Or if you REALLY want to push your luck, you can put El-Abd at right-back, and stick Whing in midfield. Actually, no, on second thoughts - perhaps not on El-Abd's account.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
At least we were spared the embarrassment of him being applauded from the field - which is something I honestly, truley cannot begin to FATHOm from away fans when one of their players is subject to a stupid sending off. I've seen it so many times.

"Yes well done xxxxx, we're losing and you've left us in the lurch, bloody well played old chap"

:rolleyes:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
As did I, it was stupid. The Carlisle player probably grabbed his leg trying to avoid getting stamped on again. I lost a lot of respect for O'Callaghan yesterday.
I can't believe how biased (or blind) some Albion fans are.

:shootself

The clip on the telly this morning simply showed him having his leg eaten by a Carlisle player. Nothing before that.

Thank you, everyone, for setting the matter straight

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Possibly. You could also have Butters alongside Lynch in defence, in order for El-Abd to play in midfield. I still think he can do a job there. Really.

Or if you REALLY want to push your luck, you can put El-Abd at right-back, and stick Whing in midfield. Actually, no, on second thoughts - perhaps not on El-Abd's account.

Perhaps.

But the fact we're having to fanny about with these "Plan B's" - totally unnecessarily - is the reason I'm somewhat irked.The team has been ticking over superbly, and Callaghan is (in my opinion) a big part of that. Now he has gone and ruled himself out,and as a direct result. has ended up disrupting the team. I would think (hope) that Wilkins is LIVID with him.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Perhaps.

But the fact we're having to fanny about with these "Plan B's" - totally unnecessarily - is the reason I'm somewhat irked.The team has been ticking over superbly, and Callaghan is (in my opinion) a big part of that. Now he has gone and ruled himself out,and as a direct result. has ended up disrupting the team. I would think (hope) that Wilkins is LIVID with him.

True. But you ALWAYS need a Plan B. It's usually comes about in the form of substitutions.

But spot this for an irony - he wasn't having a particularly good game yesterday, and I thought we played BETTER after his sending-off...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Perhaps.

Agreed, If he was sent off for two tackles you could take it however not for what he did, Im sure sure anyone can say it was not a red?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
From where I was sitting, George stamped on the Carlisle player as he went past him.....and then he grabbed George,s foot. Clear sending off in my eyes.

Definitely a red I am afraid.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
True. But you ALWAYS need a Plan B. It's usually comes about in the form of substitutions.

But spot this for an irony - he wasn't having a particularly good game yesterday, and I thought we played BETTER after his sending-off...

The team upped their game for a spell perhaps at their perceived "injustice" of it (O'Callaghans ridiculous protestations were frankly embarrassing). But the point was achieved through Forsters brilliance DESPITE O'Callaghans dickheadedness, not because of it.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
cant believe what im about to say here,but id like to see loft given a go in there at torquay, providing he is fit. his last few subs appearances should have earnt him the chance

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
How FEEBLE would a midfield of Loft, Robinson, and Cox be though? Christ, I'd rather have El Abd there.

did you miss lofts CRUNCHING tackle to set up our goal at hartlepool?

he packs an INCREDIBLE punch for someone with such lovely hair

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He had had a couple of digs in the first half in front of us in H Block. An attempt to trip one of there players walking away from him and then an eyeball to eyeball incident. I thought he was especially wound up yesterday.

Silly boy. Wonder if thats one of the reasons Magilton doesn`t fancy him.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
I have (done both!). And the TV coverage makes it look like he's simply shaking his foot to get it out of the Carlisle bloke's hand!

If there was a big build-up to the rumble that wasn't shown on the telly, then fairplay. But I wasn't there yesterday and from the TV I thought it looked harsh.

What this fine gentleman says is also my 'umble view o' the matter. (Oooah, shiver me timbers etc etc an' all that bollax.)

(hic)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Surely the ideal replacment is Paul Reid who is just coming back to full fitness at the perfect time.

No, it's definitely Frazer.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Couldn't work out what had happened at the time.

But watching it on TV, George quite clearly treads on the bloke as he goes past him. Those alert enough will remember him getting wound up by Garner in the first half (Garner admittedly was utterly annoying, taking the rules of the game to the absolute limit at all times), and I remember saying to someone at the time that he looked like he was losing his rag somewhat.

But if a Carlisle player had trodden on, say, Cox, in that manner, we'd all be screaming for a red card, and it's totally one eyed to suggest otherwise.

I'm actually quite annoyed at George for letting that little sod get to him, and leaving us without our most creative midfielder for three games. Time for Tommy Fraser to fill his boots.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
He had had a couple of digs in the first half in front of us in H Block. An attempt to trip one of there players walking away from him and then an eyeball to eyeball incident. I thought he was especially wound up yesterday.

Throughout the game he was niggling away at people - a few minutes before the sending off he kicked out at someone on the ground after a tackle but missed. If we humble fans can see this, surely someone on the bench should have had a word with him before he did something stupid.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The ref missed an awful challenge by Lynch in the first half, a diving lunge and ended up 'scissoring' the right wingers(?) legs. I was amazed that Cox didn't get a yellow, as he seemed intent on winding up the ref early on.

I thought the sending off was harsh at the time, but having seen the replay on TV, he clearly trampled on the player. Whether there was inent or not is anyones guess, but it did look at though it wasn't an accident.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here