Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O'Callaghan let go

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I have no problem with O'Callaghan moaning about his own contract, that's entirely up to him. He's clearly not short of an opinion or two, which possibly explains why a player of his undoubted ability has never made much of an impact on English football.

But I do think it's something of a liberty for a player who isn't even a permanent employee of the Albion to stick his oar in and go whining to the press about contracts which were signed long before he even came to the club, which are absolutely nothing to do with him. If the players in question weren't happy (and frankly there are still players at the Albion who were damned lucky to get contracts at all during the summer) they shouldn't have signed. And they were free to speak out about any perceived injustices themselves.

They don't need some shit-stirring office temp to do the job for them, unless they're completely weak. Worry about your deal, George, and leave the rest of the team to think about their own.

I don't think that he was ever "shit-stirring" as you phrase it, it came out in the heat of the moment in trying to explain a terrible performance. I don't believe was trying to meddle in club affairs. Not necessarily an excuse, but as I said earlier in this thread, people are making way too much of O'Callaghan's so-called "outburst". Its not the reason he moved on.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I agree that if the club cannot afford the demands of a player then end of argument irrespective of any perceived success that player might contribute to.

But I beleive that the funds which weren't extortionate could of been met and therefore it was a great shame that deals werent met.

True the funds may have been there but it was the player who threw the hissy fit and when only on loan is not best practice.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
True the funds may have been there but it was the player who threw the hissy fit and when only on loan is not best practice.

Maybe true, but managing a squad of young sportsman and especially some of the talented ones does take some patience.

By all accounts O'Callaghan was a good pro who would stick up for himself when he feels the need, not a bad trait.

I am assuming that when he aimed his thinly veiled swipe at Knight he already knew that was leaving as a deal had not looked close and that initiated this telling 'outburst'.

If we want to progress I really feel that there needs just a little bit more understanding by DK that agents are here and every player you deal with will have one and that demands are just posturing most of the time and a little tweaking here and there might enhance our future progress.

So while we congratulate our club for dismissing another talented player and his agent with a flea in his ear, I see another missed opportunity.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Maybe true, but managing a squad of young sportsman and especially some of the talented ones does take some patience.

By all accounts O'Callaghan was a good pro who would stick up for himself when he feels the need, not a bad trait.

I am assuming that when he aimed his thinly veiled swipe at Knight he already knew that was leaving as a deal had not looked close and that initiated this telling 'outburst'.

If we want to progress I really feel that there needs just a little bit more understanding by DK that agents are here and every player you deal with will have one and that demands are just posturing most of the time and a little tweaking here and there might enhance our future progress.

So while we congratulate our club for dismissing another talented player and his agent with a flea in his ear, I see another missed opportunity.

A couple of things there. One, you've contradicted yourself. While it's right to stick up for yourself, swiping publicly at the chairman is not the way to do it, it's very UNprofessional. Similarly, Ipswich don't seem too enamoured with him.

Secondly, and this is always opinion and conjecture, I don't think O'Callaghan was really the player some cracked him up to be. Granted, he was excellent for the first two or three games, but there were far too many incidents of petulence, schoolboy errors, lapses of concentration, and then of course there was that brainless 'stamp'.

The missed opportunity, I feel, is on George's part.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Without getting too deep in the backroom side of things, I wouldn't be too dissapointed not to see O'Callghan back. I think he's quite overrated on these boards, only because whilst he did start very promising by the end of his loan spell he was playing poorly. I don't think we really need him now either, with Steve Thomson coming in and looking like a good signing for us. Whilst it seems loads of people here will disagree, I wouldn't drop Hammond anytime soon, so where would O'Callaghan fit anyway?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
A couple of things there. One, you've contradicted yourself. While it's right to stick up for yourself, swiping publicly at the chairman is not the way to do it, it's very UNprofessional. Similarly, Ipswich don't seem too enamoured with him.

Secondly, and this is always opinion and conjecture, I don't think O'Callaghan was really the player some cracked him up to be. Granted, he was excellent for the first two or three games, but there were far too many incidents of petulence, schoolboy errors, lapses of concentration, and then of course there was that brainless 'stamp'.

The missed opportunity, I feel, is on George's part.

No, cant see a contridiction by me on this one.

I am saying that professional sportsman and sometimes the more talented ones can at times 'stick up for themselves' if they feel an injustice has been done to either themselves or their colleagues.

Having a swipe of at the chairman is never really a good idea for future career progress, accepted.

But I said that he made his comments at a time when I would presume that he was leaving anyway. I dont think it was part of his ongoing negotiations !!

Your second point in many ways is the problem, you see our opinions on his ability is irrelevant, it was Wilkins that wanted O'Callaghan to stay and asked for the support of the Chairman.

The funds were likely to be available but DK didnt support him and I think thats a shame and must of been extremely frustrating to Wilkins at a time when there was a chance of some real success.

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
O'Callaghan heads home

George is returning to Ireland after being released by Ipswich. What a waste - surely someone here would sign him, shame we could not forgive and forget, specially with Hammonds departure on the cards

(Source - Argus Website)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He had his chance.

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
George is returning to Ireland after being released by Ipswich. What a waste - surely someone here would sign him, shame we could not forgive and forget, specially with Hammonds departure on the cards

(Source - Argus Website)

League One standard playing going to play for a League One standard team, who happen to be playing in Europe (UEFA Cup) next season... how precisely is that a waste?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
what o'callaghan said looks truer and truer by the day - no matter how stupid it may have been to say it

what o'callaghan said looks truer and truer by the day - no matter how stupid it may have been to say it

And maybe the poking and stirring of O'C might be partly to blame for Hammond wanting up or out.

He wasn't good enough to worry about losing, yet he had the audacity to go around making demands and accusations! We are WELL rid of that ponce.

I recall us trying to sign Branch from Oxford years ago, and him being quite rude about The Albion then. Whatever happened to HIS great career?! :tosser:

Now we hear rumour that o'callaghan is soaring back to the Mighty Cork! :bigwave::bla:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
And maybe the poking and stirring of O'C might be partly to blame for Hammond wanting up or out.

He wasn't good enough to worry about losing, yet he had the audacity to go around making demands and accusations! We are WELL rid of that ponce

what demands and accusations did he make? as far as i remember, he came out and said the board needed to buck their ideas up and sort out the contracts as players didnt know whether they were here or there

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here