Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Obsession with Palace

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
What did we do before this artificial rivalry started?.....oh I remember...we enjoyed our natural neutrality. London clubs were London clubs and quite a long way away. Palace, Millwall and Charlton...we felt the same about all of them...they had their rivalries borne out of geography and it was none of our business. As previous posters have said, our only concern was who we were playing that season.
Most of the people who post BHA/Palace stuff on here are less than 40 years old and to be fair, know nothing different. Because they know nothing different they haven't stopped to think through the basis for this rivalry and whether there is any real justification for it. If you are from an older generation and followed football before the mid 70's you know what you grew up with. You feel slightly cheated and aggrieved that history has been falsely rewritten. You saw the early indications and signs but underestimated the angst and desire for teens and twentysomethings to have a focus for their aggression. Before we all knew it, a combination of Venables, Mullery and a whole host of bored and pretty unintelligent youths had fanned the flames of rivalry.
Young BHA fans fancied a rival closer to home. Pompey had Saints. Reading had Swindon/Oxford. Watford had Luton. Palace had Millwall. They weren't content with neutrality, they wanted action.
...and now, younger followers, with no history to look back on, to talk and write about, keep fanning the flames because they haven't got anything else to draw on. No real experience of watching and analysing football over time. It was much later in life that I started to really understand football. I thought I knew all about it when I was younger but I didn't. I was a boy enjoying the ride. I couldn't talk or write about it with any depth.
Like a lot of others I am bored with this tiresome tirade of banter/abuse between followers of both clubs. I wouldn't mind if some of it had a bit of substance to it but most of it is mindless drivel. Just a succession of cheap shots. Some of the stuff on here would embarrass schoolchildren.
On second thoughts...make that nursery schoolchildren.
There is simply too much time and space taken up on this site by this nonsense.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What did we do before this artificial rivalry started?.....oh I remember...we enjoyed our natural neutrality. London clubs were London clubs and quite a long way away. Palace, Millwall and Charlton...we felt the same about all of them...they had their rivalries borne out of geography and it was none of our business. As previous posters have said, our only concern was who we were playing that season.
Most of the people who post BHA/Palace stuff on here are less than 40 years old and to be fair, know nothing different. Because they know nothing different they haven't stopped to think through the basis for this rivalry and whether there is any real justification for it. If you are from an older generation and followed football before the mid 70's you know what you grew up with. You feel slightly cheated and aggrieved that history has been falsely rewritten. You saw the early indications and signs but underestimated the angst and desire for teens and twentysomethings to have a focus for their aggression. Before we all knew it, a combination of Venables, Mullery and a whole host of bored and pretty unintelligent youths had fanned the flames of rivalry.
Young BHA fans fancied a rival closer to home. Pompey had Saints. Reading had Swindon/Oxford. Watford had Luton. Palace had Millwall. They weren't content with neutrality, they wanted action.
...and now, younger followers, with no history to look back on, to talk and write about, keep fanning the flames because they haven't got anything else to draw on. No real experience of watching and analysing football over time. It was much later in life that I started to really understand football. I thought I knew all about it when I was younger but I didn't. I was a boy enjoying the ride. I couldn't talk or write about it with any depth.
Like a lot of others I am bored with this tiresome tirade of banter/abuse between followers of both clubs. I wouldn't mind if some of it had a bit of substance to it but most of it is mindless drivel. Just a succession of cheap shots. Some of the stuff on here would embarrass schoolchildren.
On second thoughts...make that nursery schoolchildren.
There is simply too much time and space taken up on this site by this nonsense.

Great post. Someone earlier referred to "silver surfers" reviving the rivalry, totally missing the point that silver surfers (those in their 50s, 60s and 70s) have no problem with Palace at all. As you say, it's an artificial rivalry that didn't exist 40 years ago. I do find this obsession with Palace rather tedious and wish it would stop

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Great post. Someone earlier referred to "silver surfers" reviving the rivalry, totally missing the point that silver surfers (those in their 50s, 60s and 70s) have no problem with Palace at all. As you say, it's an artificial rivalry that didn't exist 40 years ago. I do find this obsession with Palace rather tedious and wish it would stop
I agree to an extent, but you're the same age as me and you must admit that for those few years in the late 1970s the rivalry was very real and absolutely white hot. (Unless you missed it all by being at Uni!) I agree that it was kept alive, artificially, on a life support system for most of the last thirty years simply by the memory of those few seasons (and we may well need something similar again unless we reach the Prem or Palace implode), but it's an accepted fact that Brighton and Palace are rivals. We've had temporary dalliances with the likes of Orient, but the fans always dreamt of playing Palace again. However like you I can't really get that worked up about it, and especially with the joint work we've both done for REMF. And as Bozza pointed out on the other thread we've got more in common with Palace fans that we have with Premiership glory-hunters.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I agree to an extent, but you're the same age as me and you must admit that for those few years in the late 1970s the rivalry was very real and absolutely white hot. (Unless you missed it all by being at Uni!) I agree that it was kept alive, artificially, on a life support system for most of the last thirty years simply by the memory of those few seasons (and we may well need something similar again unless we reach the Prem or Palace implode), but it's an accepted fact that Brighton and Palace are rivals. We've had temporary dalliances with the likes of Orient, but the fans always dreamt of playing Palace again. However like you I can't really get that worked up about it, and especially with the joint work we've both done for REMF. And as Bozza pointed out on the other thread we've got more in common with Palace fans that we have with Premiership glory-hunters.

I remember it was very much alive after that second replay in 1976 but even then, I think there was more anger with Challis than Palace. Yes, I'd agree there was a very real rivalry around about then but I think that was as much to do with the managers. And you're right, I was away at uni in the late 70s so may have been a bit detached from the action - although we always seemed to play Palace at Christmas.

But since those days, I have got the impression that it's slightly fake rivalry. And Bozza's right, we have much more in Palace than the Premiership glory hunters. I remember being disappointed when Palace lost to Man U in the cup final - if there was a real rivalry, I'd have been celebrating all evening. I didn't lose sight of who the real enemy were

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I remember it was very much alive after that second replay in 1976 but even then, I think there was more anger with Challis than Palace. Yes, I'd agree there was a very real rivalry around about then but I think that was as much to do with the managers. And you're right, I was away at uni in the late 70s so may have been a bit detached from the action - although we always seemed to play Palace at Christmas.

But since those days, I have got the impression that it's slightly fake rivalry. And Bozza's right, we have much more in Palace than the Premiership glory hunters. I remember being disappointed when Palace lost to Man U in the cup final - if there was a real rivalry, I'd have been celebrating all evening. I didn't lose sight of who the real enemy were
Blimey, I wasn't, I was cheering for Man U like a lunatic! Ditto Liverpool in the semi-final. Being in the Cup Final was the one thing we had over them, I suppose I should be happy that our superiority in that area lasted seven years as opposed to a matter of months - which is what usually happens when we gain the upper hand on them. I'd have hated it if they'd gone one better and actually won the thing, especially as it was also against Man U.

But I agree in the decades that have elapsed since that last flicker, and because it originally came from nowhere and wasn't nurtured by regular meetings, it has always seemed slightly forced, something we've kept going just to be able to say "yeah, we've got a rival". But I also accept that we're very much in the minority!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here