Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Observations from a Birmingham fan

Brum fan in peace

Apr 23, 2012
My second time visiting the Amex, and I was just as impressed as the first time. Beautiful stadium. The only recently built stadium that stands out as having a bit of character and a good atmosphere for me.

It's rare these days to see great home crowds, but Brighton have one of the best. Couldn't hear you much in the first half but seeing how mental your fans were going over every whistle that went against you in the 2nd half (and seeing you actually have 25,000 fans in attendance) reminded me of the Blues crowd from the early 2000s, when St Andrews was actually an intimidating place to play.

I never got to go to your old ground, but I remember you having much lower attendances than this. Where did all your fans come from? Did the new stadium and promotion convert a load of glory supporters into BHA fans? Or did you always have the fanbase? I'm a little jealous walking around the town and seeing so many blue and white shirts - wish this was the case in Birmingham, where Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool shirts are so prevalent.

As for the match itself, for the first time this season we didn't crumble under pressure and the players showed a bit of determination. Curtis Davies and Chris Burke actually turned up to play, which was nice. You seemed to really be trying to take advantage of our young RB (Packwood, playing his 3rd ever game) down your left flank, and caused us a lot of problems there but despite all your pressure never created any golden opportunities.

Probably one of your worst performances of the season I'd imagine, and definitely our best. So I wouldn't read too much into it. Fully expect you to be promoted, and fully expect us to languish around midtable. You seem to have a Premier League operation from top to bottom.

For what it's worth, here's the view from the away end by video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yJ6hOsleA4

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
Very complimentary.

It seemed to me that Birmingham had a gameplan that worked perfectly. Once you got the goal you were expert in defending it. Due to the differences in style we were made to seem toothless by a team that closed us down well and sent us out to the wings most of the time, from which we were frankly inept at producing any kind of threat. This was also down to personnel. Birmingham's game-plan ultimately forced us to try to compete with their strengths, which we were not able to do to any meaningful effect.

Congratulations on the win and thanks for taking the time with a positive review. Anything you weren't as impressed with though? All the best for the rest of the season except at your gaff where we will turn you over etc etc you mug etc

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Cheers, nice to get a balanced view from a football fan and not abuse and hate. You will see a lot of Brighton shirts in the area, despite our poor performance on Saturday the locals have fallen in love with the club after some difficult years in the wilderness and we are in a good place at the moment. Nice to see good football in a nice venue and the locals coming out in force!

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Well it would actually have been impossible to fit 25,000 into Withdean, so that is a part of the reason we didn't get those crowds before :lolol:

Brum fan in peace

Apr 23, 2012
Congratulations on the win and thanks for taking the time with a positive review. Anything you weren't as impressed with though? All the best for the rest of the season except at your gaff where we will turn you over etc etc you mug etc

:D

The floodlights could've been better. ;)

Also waiting for the train back to the town centre for 30+ mins after the match isn't ideal - thank god it wasn't a night game in December or January. But your fans are a friendly lot and we had a nice chat with a couple of them.

Also forgot to mention: very positive reviews on the halftime pies and burgers.

As for your team, looks like you could do with a better target man up front. But with that much possession you will win a lot more games than you lose. Final product just wasn't there.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
...and has been mentioned a few times, you have a very attractive young lady!!!

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
:D

The floodlights could've been better. ;)

Also waiting for the train back to the town centre for 30+ mins after the match isn't ideal - thank god it wasn't a night game in December or January. But your fans are a friendly lot and we had a nice chat with a couple of them.

Also forgot to mention: very positive reviews on the halftime pies and burgers.

As for your team, looks like you could do with a better target man up front. But with that much possession you will win a lot more games than you lose. Final product just wasn't there.

Cannot disagree with anything there, we are still looking for that target man!

Our final ball was awful but you defended very well. Impressed with Burke and obviously was a cracking strike. best of luck for the rest of the season.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
The transport is not ideal but certainly no worse than a lot of other clubs and our hands were tied by the authorities when getting the planning permission, hence the idea of opening bars after the game to control the flow of people out of the ground.
We have the same problem as most of the country with the "big (in marketing terms) teams" and their plastic supporters in Sussex but over the last 18 months there has been a real resurgence in Albion support made up of new, converted and returning fans, Sussex is again become our own.
Yes you are right our worse home performance of the season missing some key players and still lack a quality finisher but we trying to play football without resorting to the long ball which makes life tough at times.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Ta very much for the kind comments. FWIW I thought Birmingham defended superbly and did not allow us a sniff. I thought showed some character after your defeat against barnsley. We'll just have to take this one on the chin and move on and give your guys credit for a hardworking performance.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
2mmzu46.jpg

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Can we stop collectively knocking one out over this bloke's bird?! She's decent enough looking, but seriously it's as if some of you have never get to see attractive women.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Can we stop collectively knocking one out over this bloke's bird?! She's decent enough looking, but seriously it's as if some of you have never get to see attractive women.
To be honest where I live this is as good as it gets.....
sbfwppfs.jpg

:(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here