Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oatway

Brighton Bloke said:
Anyone notice that he didn't hang around to milk the ecstacy from us and trooped off to the changing room early?

If you look at his comments in the Argus last week, I reckon he was badly hurt by the fans' criticism at the Norwich game.

Who wouldn't feel like him? He's knocked his pipe out season after season, has come back stronger, fitter and better each time when a more classier player has put him out of the team, he is the first and last word in professionalism at Brighton and Hove Albion.

Yet the "fans" still kick him first chance they get, every time. He must be f***ing gutted.

Last edited:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
London Irish said:
If you look at his comments in the Argus last week, I reckon he was badly hurt by the fans' criticism at the Norwich game.

Who wouldn't feel like him? He's knocked his pipe out season after season, has come back stronger, fitter and better each time when a more classier player has put him out of the team, he is the first and last world in professionalism at Brighton and Hove Albion.

Yet the "fans" still kick him first chance they get, every time. He must be f***ing gutted.

Strange how Kerry was saying that the fans had the right to have a go at players if they're not performing and that he'd accept it and just try to work harder. That sounds like professionalism to me. Understanding the situation as it is.

Now please stop being BRIGADIER BIGHEAD and his MIND-READING GORILLA.

Meade's_Ball said:
Strange how Kerry was saying that the fans had the right to have a go at players if they're not performing and that he'd accept it and just try to work harder. That sounds like professionalism to me. Understanding the situation as it is.

Now please stop being BRIGADIER BIGHEAD and his MIND-READING GORILLA.

That's actually the complete opposite of what Kerry said. Do you want me to look it up moody Meady? :)

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
That's actually the complete opposite of what Kerry said. Do you want me to look it up moody Meady? :)

He seemed to say both sides of the argument, now that i look at it again. Now that's PROFESSIONALISM. :)

"Supporters have their opinions and if they want to criticise me they can," said Mayo. "I'm not bothered about it, I'll take it on the chin, because they are the first to praise you when you do something well."

And:

"I'm not having a go at the supporters, they are fantastic. It's just that a very few have short memories if you think back to six or seven years ago and where we are now."

Let's have the full quote, Meade's Ball, you're being a bit "professional" yourself :)

"It's only a very few that are doubters. It's a shame really when you consider what we have given the club and supporters over the last five or six years. It's as if they are getting a little bit greedy and expecting too much.

"I'm not having a go at the supporters, they are fantastic. It's just that a very few have short memories if you think back to six or seven years ago and where we are now."

If Charlie labelled the fans "greedy and expecting too much" - what do you think the reaction on here would be, Meade's Ball?
:jester:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To be honest, I don't care if Oatway was in a mood. We all get in moods from time to time. When the team comes out in Sheffield and Oatway's name is roundly cheered by the travelling contingent - and it will be - then he'll forget about the fan's past misgivings and indiscretions, just as we have done for his.
I remember in division 3, Oatway was always getting praise ahead of Rogers who was, in my opinion, a far better player most of the time. Football and fans opinion have always been like this.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Well, i'm not happy with all he said. You can't dine out on past glories. If they want to be sung and clapped for for things they did in previous seasons, then retire and walk onto the pitch at half-time for a ROUSING reception. In the meantime, we'll get players who are consistently performing well.

He's completely right that the players have to take the criticism along with the plaudits though. That's what they're there for. Highs and lows. No inbetweens. That's why they love it.

Why do you believe that people do not rate Oatway? Is it socio-economic?

You are winding me up a little bit today LI. 1-0 to you.

:)

Meade's_Ball said:
You are winding me up a little bit today LI. 1-0 to you.

:)

Dunno about that but dragging you into a FOOTBALL discussion I regard as a much finer achievement :)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Simster said:
To be honest, I don't care if Oatway was in a mood. We all get in moods from time to time. When the team comes out in Sheffield and Oatway's name is roundly cheered by the travelling contingent - and it will be - then he'll forget about the fan's past misgivings and indiscretions, just as we have done for his.
I remember in division 3, Oatway was always getting praise ahead of Rogers who was, in my opinion, a far better player most of the time. Football and fans opinion have always been like this.

Rogers was always the better palyer - complete box to box player who had a knack of scoring important goals.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Actually its easy to fall in to the trap of thinking that because he put himself about everything he did was excellent, it was NOT, he gave the ball away on 2 occasions very nearly resulting in Palace goals.

I know its critical, but Oatway now needs to take this and turn it into real consistency against the teams we should be beating, lets face it, if you cant play well in that atmospher with the adrenilin pumping, there isnt much hope for you

That said I would give him 8 out of 10, but he needs to keep it going.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Rougvie said:
Actually its easy to fall in to the trap of thinking that because he put himself about everything he did was excellent, it was NOT, he gave the ball away on 2 occasions very nearly resulting in Palace goals.

I know its critical, but Oatway now needs to take this and turn it into real consistency against the teams we should be beating, lets face it, if you cant play well in that atmospher with the adrenilin pumping, there isnt much hope for you

That said I would give him 8 out of 10, but he needs to keep it going.

I didnt want to be the one to say it....
Henderson saved his ass

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
1129667952_spt_ai04_palacevbrighton.jpg

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Oatway was as good as anyone last night............i just hope we can repeat that level of determination and effort in our upcoming games.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Charlie had an outstanding game last night and fully deserves the plaudits. If he played as well as that all the time, his place in the line-up would be assured.

In fact, for Charlie last night it was a case of "tonight matthew, i'm going to be Glen Hoddle" - some of his passing was great.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
He won some good tackles

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Just watched an interview with Charlie on seagulls world and he was sporting huge bump to the side of his eye. Looked nasty.

BUTTERBALL said:
In fact, for Charlie last night it was a case of "tonight matthew, i'm going to be Glen Hoddle" - some of his passing was great.

He's been doing that for a while now, for me his game changed after the play-off final, but you won't ever see his critics credit him for that - they will always pigeonhole him as a stopper.

Last edited:

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Charlie was an irritating, niggly, pain in the arse for the Palace players last night, what he does best. Thoroughly deserves the credit on this thread

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
London Irish said:
He's been doing that for a while now, for me his game changed after the play-off final, but you won't ever see his critics credit him for that - they will always pigeonhole him as a stopper.

I concur with that 100%. Charlie, on form, can be a very effective passer of the ball.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
y2dave said:
Just watched an interview with Charlie on seagulls world and he was sporting huge bump to the side of his eye. Looked nasty.

Yeah just saw that.. hell of a whack...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here