Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oatway

Loft23

Dec 11, 2004
Burgess Hill
Hammond and Nicolas should be in the centre of midfield with Reid on the Right and Leon on the left so there is more creativity for our strikers.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's only one game, anyone's capable of playing badly for the odd game, but Oatway and Carpenter were poor last night.

I can't shake off this nagging feeling that for one or two players in the team, this one might just be a season too far. Not necessarily just the two mentioned above.

Its not because of any specific errors or poor performances, I just think a combination of various things- principally age, lack of pace, and the high level of opponents we're likely to face as the season goes on- are going to catch up with a few individuals.

It's not meant to be a criticism really, just something that's starting to worry me (and has done prior to last night, before anyone suggests a knee-jerk reaction).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree with Yorkie, where has all this 'Nicolas is Wonderful' stuff come from?

As a goal threat he is non-existant, even more so than Oatway who has at least scored a few goals for this club albeit 1 per season.

He is also worse in the air than my gran, and she's 90.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The main problem with Oatway and Chippy as a central midfield pairing is that neither is creative enough. Charlie tried to be last night but can't do it. He is at his best when pointed in the direction of the opposition's best midfielder and told to keep him out of the game. In the past he's done that very effectively against the likes of Merson, McAllister and David Frio. We need something more going forward. Perhaps we might be better off trying CKR or Hammond playing in front of either Oatway or Chippy.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Oatway's never going to be Gary McAllister ( God how we need a player like that) but actually he's done pretty well in the two games so far. He hasn't been giving the ball away ( unlike some eh Mr Carpenter?) and to be fair, was up against one of the best midfield units in the Championship last night. Yes, he's not the quickest but you could say that about several other of our players ( Mayo, Dodd, Butters, Turienzo et al ). The problem is we don't have any natural wide players or someone to put their foot on the ball. Hammond is not a wide player and should, at some stage, be given a chance to play in the middle. Nicolas is not the answer - he played well at Reading last year and then faded and was dropped. He doesn't look like getting his place back as Hammond is now above him in the pecking order . In the meantime, we better hope that Chippie re-discovers some form and that MM signs a wide player/creative midfielder.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Nicolas is a good player. He had a dip of form last season after an injury but he is better than Oatway.

The problem is Oatway gives a lot in terms of organisation ect and won't get droped.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Chippy had his poorest game for a long time last night. Oatway wasn't too bad but wasted the ball far to often. Neither of them seem to have any desire or confidence to run with the ball. There were several occasions when a direct run at a the defence would have left us on 4 on 4 but instead they over pass and usually give it away.

Reid and Hammond are the future in the middle. Both can mix it and Reid can actually pass a ball forward or into space.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Chippyu was the second top goal scorer last year.

If you look at when jr lewis was here chippy was at his best as he didnt have to cover for oatway.

Incredigull

In Cervesio Felicitas
Nov 28, 2003
Mile Oak
Mr Albion said:
Sorry to go on about it, love Charlie and all that, but he's had his day. So out of his depth tonight.
Surely everyone can see that. Its only being kind.
Let him be a squad/sub but get him off.

Thought Charlie gave his all,certainly more that Knighty.

Some of the team don't seem to like playing at Withdean anymore,or is it me ??

KinkyGoebels said:
If you look at when jr lewis was here chippy was at his best as he didnt have to cover for oatway.

I think personally that you were at your best last season when losing bets to me about Oatway ensuring that Brighton would stay up :smokin:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Yorkie said:
I don't know where all this 'Nicolas is wonderful' is coming from.
People who didn't see him against Plymouth last season. He was worse than Oatway or Chippy was tonight.

Sake. Possibly from all the games he actually played well in? You can't keep harping on about one game when he was one of many who were sub-par, and far from the worst - Mayo was twice as bad!

Nicolas is a talented player, and should probably be in our starting line-up, although I can understand the difficulties in fitting in five central midfielders who can all lay claim to a place.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Oatway and Chippy at White Hart Lane

superb

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If we could find a decent left winger the team would sort itself out. Carpenter had his worst game ever in my opinion.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
dougdeep said:
If we could find a decent left winger the team would sort itself out. Carpenter had his worst game ever in my opinion.

I would tend to agree - four central midfielders together may give you decent defensive shape, but offers so little going forward, and really makes the attacks rather predictable. Even one winger gives you so much more of a threat.

Repugnant Toad said:
Sake. Possibly from all the games he actually played well in? You can't keep harping on about one game when he was one of many who were sub-par, and far from the worst - Mayo was twice as bad!

Nicolas is a talented player, and should probably be in our starting line-up, although I can understand the difficulties in fitting in five central midfielders who can all lay claim to a place.

Nicolas will take over from Charlie or Chippy - he has all the skills and, in giving up his international U21 place, the commitment too - but he must, MUST start looking to play with more ambition further up the pitch. I thought there were some signs of that at Bournemouth when he played as part of a 5-man midfield. I reckon that pass for Oatway's goal was his first assist while at the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here