Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oatway - Pulled Hamstring

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Yes, and MM apparently said that he would not play players out of position when explaining why OGH was not even on the bench...

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
London Irish said:
Well, the Oatway carpers got their wish today - and what happened? We lost the midfield battle. While he was on, the gameplan went perfectly and Sidwell/Harper were nullified.

This is a blow for Albion because neither Reid nor Nicolas have his tackling agression nor his footballing brain in herding the opposition away from the danger areas.

LI, unless I'm taking your post completely out of context, are you saying that we need Oatway in the midfield otherwise we will lose the "midfield battle"?

Because unless my eyes were shot to pieces last season, we were constantly over-run in midfield when your star man Oatway was playing and we very rarely dominated/won any "midfield battle(s)"

And don't make me laugh about Charlie having a footballing brain

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
London Irish said:
It is no accident that he is a more effective tackler than Reid and Nicolas. It is about anticipation and reading the opposition play.
The strength of NSC is that it is all about opinions.
Sorry but I can't accept that Charlie is a better tackler than Reid. Charlie is very determined but Reid is a more clinical tackler. Oatway is inclined to be late. In the last home match against NottsC he was lucky not to be red carded and our performance improved as soon as MM subbed him.
Thought Charlie's positional sense served him well on Saturday so I agree with the point about him having a football brain.

Where's Uncle Buck?

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Charlie does do his job well to a point, he wins some tackles and breaks the play up occasionally but then when he's done that he passes the ball straight back to the other team or overhits it off the pitch giving possesion straight back to them so we're back to square one and the pressure stays on anyway...

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Trigger said:
Charlie does do his job well to a point, he wins some tackles and breaks the play up occasionally but then when he's done that he passes the ball straight back to the other team or overhits it off the pitch giving possesion straight back to them so we're back to square one and the pressure stays on anyway...

It seems Oatway is one of those topics not worth going round in circles on it. There are those that think he is better than he is and those that view him as a limited player.

My view on Saturday was he did his job to an extent, but when him and Virgo went off and we went to 4-4-2 we had a lot more shape.

I did feel him, Reid and Nicholas were getting in each others way at times.

Ted

May 26, 2004
Craggy Island
Totally agree with Uncle Buck on this one, Reid and Nicholas were more cohesive whan Charlie had gone off. Any news on Roberts? Thought FDM looked woefully short of confidence on Saturday.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Hang on a minute. This means we need a Central Midfielder!!

THATS WHAT EVERYONE HAS BEEN SAYING FOR AGES NOW!!!!

bhaforever said:
Oatway's injury not as bad as first thought could be back by Wigan if not sooner

Excellent, so we may have Charlie, Leon and maybe even Chippy all back at close to the same time - that'll be the real start to our season I reckon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here