Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oatway out for rest of the season

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Might as well pay up his contract and get someone half decent in for the longer term. Personally I would not offer him the one year extension which the club have put to him.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I'm glad the club is giving him a new contract. His winner against Hull was a great goal. He has been playing really well lately. Even some of the Oatway detractors were saying how well he was playing.

Get well soon Chas. We need you mate.

dave the gaffer said:
Rusco saw him hobbling round Tesco's at Holmbush and Charlie said the same thing to him.

I hope that was not the last we have seen of him in a blue and white shirt

He will get a new contract - he has been a key player under McGhee.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
All the more reason not to go running after Barry Hayles and instead go after a decent midfielder. It is no coincidence we've lost every game since Charlie Oatway got injured - it sounds like he was in great form.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
London Irish said:
He will get a new contract - he has been a key player under McGhee.

Official site says he will.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Will miss him. But lets hope hes still in the dressing room.

I have a feeling that we wouldnt have lost the Millwall game with him playing.

Absolutely, with Dodd also out, the team has a shortage of leaders at the moment.

D

Deleted member 2719

Gutted for him he is one of the few players you can say has Blue + white in his bloody but not sure if even Charlie can make a comeback from this.

:down:

wish him a speedy recovery and hope to see him playing again.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Shame, but he is not a very good footballer. A blessing in discuise.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
This will increase the chance of Wise signing til the end of the season...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Please provide me with a list of his qualities on the pitch then. I agree, he might have been playing a bit better recently but it is all relative and he had a very easy baseline to rise above.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Tubthumper said:
Please provide me with a list of his qualities on the pitch then. I agree, he might have been playing a bit better recently but it is all relative and he had a very easy baseline to rise above.

Poor response.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not at all. I simply want someone to go beyond the usual 'bleeds blue and white', 'great in the dressing room' guff.

only1robbiereinalt

Oct 7, 2005
Oatway misses remainder of season
Brighton have been rocked by news that skipper Charlie Oatway will miss the rest of the season because of injury.

The midfielder was stretchered off against QPR on Boxing Day and has had metal pins inserted in his ankle.

Seagulls manager Mark McGhee told BBC Southern Counties: "It's a huge blow. You can tell from the games we've played since he got injured.

"He has such an influence both on the pitch and in the dressing room. Charlie will be a big miss for us."

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Tubthumper said:
Not at all. I simply want someone to go beyond the usual 'bleeds blue and white', 'great in the dressing room' guff.

Ok you list all his bad qualities before you want someone to list all his good qualities.

I, for one, like his tackling (that's tackling not tackle :lolol: )

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Tubthumper said:
He's a ballwinner.

I'm not his biggest fan but he is a valuable member of the squad.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
1) Passing ability is very poor
2) Moves seem to break down when he is involved (mainly as he has a tendency to play the ball back to the person who just played it to him.)
3) Positional sense ins't great.
4) His ball control is diabolical at times (Reading's first goal).

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
1 and 2 could be classed as the same criticism and at least we keep possession which is sometimes invaluable in midfield particularly when the opposition midfield are trying to dispossess you.
Positional sense I will give you.
Anybody can be unfortunate enough to slip when trying to stop an own goal. If he had managed to clear it, he would have been a hero. It did look comical though (poor Charlie)

I love the way he is like a little terrier being a nuisance in midfield. His man to man marking can be good too. He sat on Merson when we last played Pompey at Withdean and kept him right out of the game.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Tubthumper said:

I probably agree with you if not hearing from players and coaches at fans club meetings what a major influence he has been in especially helping bring the younger players through - Kazim Richards being the last to sing his praises.

His pyschological influence off the pitch cannot be understated and has been identified and utilised by Adams, Coppell and Mcghee, even if he has not been an ever present name on the first team squad for all managers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here