Buffalo Springfield
Crosby, Stills, Hash & Young
Creedence Clearwater Revival
That band who share their name with a sarf london comedy store
Talking Heads
Television
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
REM
Some solo artists better than Oasis (no longer necessarily comparing like with like)

Bowie
Jimi Hendrix
Kate Bush
Bob Dylan
Paul Simon
Joni Mitchell
Marvin Gaye
Stevie Wonder
Elvis Presley
Jerry Lee Lewis
Ray Charles
Jackie Wilson
Sam Cooke
Carl Perkins
Buddy Holly

Some blues artists better than Oasis

B B King
John Lee Hooker
Robert Johnson
Howlin Wolf

Some Soul/Funk bands better than Oasis

Sly & The Family Stone
Parliament/Funkadelic
The Isley Brothers
The Jackson 5/The Jacksons (and, for the record, we'll include Michael's ouevre here, as well)

Some reggae bands better than Oasis

Bob Marley & The Wailers (natch)
Misty In Roots

Looks like Oasis are going to be struggling to get anywhere near any sensibly compiled Top 100 popular music artists of all time list, never mind a straight comparison with unarguably the best and most influential popular recording artists of all time.

More bands and solo artists better than Oasis later.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Some American rock bands better than Oasis

The Beach Boys
The Byrds
The Band
Buffalo Springfield
Crosby, Stills, Hash & Young
Creedence Clearwater Revival
That band who share their name with a sarf london comedy store
Talking Heads
Television
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
REM
Some solo artists better than Oasis (no longer necessarily comparing like with like)

Bowie
Jimi Hendrix
Kate Bush
Bob Dylan
Paul Simon
Joni Mitchell
Marvin Gaye
Stevie Wonder
Elvis Presley
Jerry Lee Lewis
Ray Charles
Jackie Wilson
Sam Cooke
Carl Perkins
Buddy Holly

Some blues artists better than Oasis

B B King
John Lee Hooker
Robert Johnson
Howlin Wolf

Some Soul/Funk bands better than Oasis

Sly & The Family Stone
Parliament/Funkadelic
The Isley Brothers
The Jackson 5/The Jacksons (and, for the record, we'll include Michael's ouevre here, as well)

Some reggae bands better than Oasis

Bob Marley & The Wailers (natch)
Misty In Roots

Looks like Oasis are going to be struggling to get anywhere near any sensibly compiled Top 100 popular music artists of all time list, never mind a straight comparison with unarguably the best and most influential popular recording artists of all time.

More bands and solo artists better than Oasis later.

I can't argue with any of that but I'd also include Jefferson Airplane and Frank Zappa in the American list as well as Jackson Browne if we're gonna consider solo artists

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
The Beatles couldn't play live because the adoration for them was dangerous and so loud that there wasn't any point in them playing their instruments and exposing themselves and others to that. People were climbing fences to get to them before, after, and during their appearances. Their minders, theatre security, roadies, and police were getting hurt!

It wasn't anything to do with Lennon and McCartney going up their own arses finding the best way to mike up alarm clocks then?

That, you poor deluded person, is a FACT.

Nope, it's conjecture at best.

oasis were liked in America, but - mostly by the exiled British people.
If they played Los Angeles, the majority of the audience were local Brits.
It's a bit like England playing in World Cup games - much of the audience would be English. The Beatles played for The Whole Wide World squad, at that time EVERYONE was their fan!

You can think the audiences OASIS sell out to worldwide are all expats but you are wrong. That IS a FACT.

You will have to come to terms with it johnny, oasis are relatively insignificant to music, and if they hadn't existed no-one would be any the worse-off for that (the argument might be that we'd be better off, in actuality).

Not really. George Harrison misguidingly said no-one would acre about OASIS in ten years time..........

Ten years later OASIS were performing over a hundred sold out shows in 26 different countries.

You might not like them but they've been pretty significant to a lot of people for a fairly long time.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Go on Youtube and search for Oasis in Brazil, Japan, Spain etc and watch the videos of people singing at the top of their voices to every lyric.

Then do the same for the Beatles and..... oh yes...... that's right there's NOTHING, because they COULDN'T play 90% of their stuff live.

The Beatles are an overcomplicated recipe in a book, OASIS are a meal laid out in front of you.

What utter rubbish, perhaps you should listen to the Beatles music a bit more and look in to the reasons why they stopped playing live rather than making stupid statements about things you obviously know nothing about.

I am afraid that you are taking your own preference over reasoned argument. I would rather listen to Supergrass than Led Zeppelin but I would never consider that they are a better or bigger band as that would be ridiculous and make me look a prat.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
What utter rubbish, perhaps you should listen to the Beatles music a bit more and look in to the reasons why they stopped playing live rather than making stupid statements about things you obviously know nothing about.

I am afraid that you are taking your own preference over reasoned argument. I would rather listen to Supergrass than Led Zeppelin but I would never consider that they are a better or bigger band as that would be ridiculous and make me look a prat.

As I have already mentioned I have every Beatles album and know all their songs. I have also read a hell of a lot of books about them.

I have seen no reasoned argument, just a lot of Oasis trashing with the same age old snipes.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
As I have already mentioned I have every Beatles album and know all their songs. I have also read a hell of a lot of books about them.

I have seen no reasoned argument, just a lot of Oasis trashing with the same age old snipes.

This whole thread must have passed you by then! Just to recap here is some reasoned argument for you:

In terms of worldwide appeal The Beatles have sold more albums that any other artist in the history of music 500 million + which puts them above Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson. Oasis are 170th in that list sandwiched between Olivier Newton John and N Synch! List of best-selling music artists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Noel Gallagher openly admits that Oasis are not even in the same league as the Beatles both in terms of innovation and musical ability, that they are his biggest inspiration and that he rips off their songs.

Case Closed.....Surely?!

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008

The poll thread is Oasis v Beatles. It is no contest. Oasis, or rather Noel Gallagher, has written some good songs and they are presumably impressive live (I have to admit to never having seen them live), but to put them in the same league as The Beatles is just ridiculous. I love Slade, in my mind a roughly equivalent band to Oasis in terms of stature, but I appreciate that they (Slade that is) come nowhere near the likes of The Beatles, Dylan, Bowie, The Who (all of whom I equally like) or The Smiths, REM or The Rolling Stones for whom I could probably be said to have a grudging admiration.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Another reason listening to The Beatles is great is that you can see the relationship between Lennon and McCartney changing as the albums progress. You can imagine Lennon, who was moving into heavier more psychodelic song writing, getting the hump at McCartney's Rocky Raccoons and Honey Pies! Sublime stuff.

Oh, amd I LOVED Oasis in the 90's.

Final score

Beatles 6 Oasis 1
(Oasis' consolation goal scored when Ono came on for The Beatles in the 88th minute)

Skidmarks

Feb 12, 2008
Woolworths
Whats with all this Oasis copying Beatles talk?, If anyone knew anything about music you would surly know that The stone roses were Oasis's big inspiration.
I to be honest think Oasis and The beatles are both very poor bands who wrote music to please a certain type of listener, this shows a lack of creativity and the control the record label must of had over both bands.
If you want to compare great bands based on talent not popularity then bands such as Led Zepplin, The Hendrix Experience,Peter Greens Fleetwood mac , Free, Pink Floyd and even The Who were all bands respected a lot more when playing live than the 2 boy bands with guitars.
Stupid thread its like comparing George Michael with Elton John who ironically played Rangers in the cup yesterday.

Skidmarks

Feb 12, 2008
Woolworths
Erm? Oasis did, they readily admit it.

Eeeerm no they didn't, watch familer to millions the DVD, in between one of the songs they mention The stone roses being their main inspiration.
The beatles are their favourite band maybe but does that mean you have to copy them?, type stone roses into youtube and you'll see what I mean.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
If he had lived I reckon Buddy Holly would have been bigger than the Beatles, everyone goes on about how the Beatles influenced and changed music, which they did but initially they were as influenced by Holly as Oasis were by the Beatles. Without Buddy Holly we may never even of heard of the Beatles

Now you're talking. Buddy Holly was ace. :clap:

Eeeerm no they didn't, watch familer to millions the DVD, in between one of the songs they mention The stone roses being their main inspiration.
The beatles are their favourite band maybe but does that mean you have to copy them?, type stone roses into youtube and you'll see what I mean.

Er....yes they did. I clearly remember one of the Gallaghers comparing oasis favourably against the Beatles. I rolled my eyes bigstyle, and it made it that much easier to dislike them for even trying it on.

Yes, oasis made the ridiculous comparison, to try to gob off more and get attention, no doubt.

Oasis.

Defined a GENERATION and made Britain COOL again.

Since who defined a generation and had "made Britain cool" beforehand?

Beyond punk and UK progressive, it was The Beatles actually.

So, since three decades pass and a later band come out, and it's still a question as to who is better, what does that say?

Oh, and oasis "made Britain cool" mostly with Brits. In North America and a lot of other places, it was Nirvana, and no-one gave a thought to oasis aside from a few exiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here