Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Oasis - 2025

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not forgetting The Cure and Harry Styles
Then you get weird anomalies like Hurts (who you might ask?) being huge over here. The Editors had a really strong following in Belguim as well.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I'm also intrigued how they never really broke big in mainland europe or the US.
It’s not like they were unknowns outside the UK though.

What’s The Story? chart placings…

IMG_0794.jpeg

IMG_0795.jpeg

IMG_0796.jpeg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Blimey. Didn't realise this would be taken quite so badly.

Think I've been misunderstood here a little. Obviously it was a poor choice of words. There are plenty of white bands who play with swagger, style, swing etc.

I mean more than I find a certain type of rock to be very bland and boring when you have a lot of it together. That's all.
That made me think who it is that Oasis reminds me of, in terms of that 'flavour' you have identified, which would become a oppressively monophonic were it the only flavour of a bill.

Bad Company. Followed by Mott the Hoople. With Oasis headlining.

I suspect that after the first few bars of 'Can't get enough' I'd have left :lolol:

(To those going, I hope it is emotional. I look forward to watching Oasis play on the telly when it is broadcast).

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’d guess not. No reason for them to play an (almost) free gig ahead of their own huge tour.

They even said (joked) in the tour announcement that the comeback “would not be televised”.
This, don’t think they’d give it away for free at this stage. MAYBE 2026 though.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Then you get weird anomalies like Hurts (who you might ask?) being huge over here. The Editors had a really strong following in Belguim as well.
I can see why Hurts would be big in Germany. If you told me they were German I'd believe you.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I guess so. A couple of brothers in windercheaters and feather cuts maybe doesnt resonate as much on the med?
It's interesting* looking at the sales certifications for What's The Story Morning Glory across Europe, because there's no obvious pattern to it.

It went Gold in Germany and Austria, but 6x platinum in Denmark, and various numbers of platinum in Italy and Spain.

Obviously apart from Be Here Now none of their later records were particularly big overseas. Apparently Be Here Now didn't even go Gold in Denmark, so all those people who bought What's the Story Morning Glory over there must have hated it (or nobody's bothered to include it in the table on the Wikipedia page). :lolol:

* compared to whatever it is I'm meant to be doing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Fair enough. Looking at the sales figures it was 4 times platinum in the US as well, which is huge. Every day is a school day!
America was mad fer it, they just completely f**ked up when they went over there, played some horrible gigs messed up on LSD and came home pretty much in disgrace.

There was the infamous MTV Unplugged debacle, just f*** up after f*** up really

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
America was mad fer it, they just completely f**ked up when they went over there, played some horrible gigs messed up on LSD and came home pretty much in disgrace.

I think I'm right in saying that for one reason or another they didn't complete their first three tours of the US. It's not exactly following the Beatles Guide To Breaking America to the letter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Ah yes, I went to this panel thing with Alan McGhee and Anton Newcombe a few years ago...that gig came up in conversation.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I’d guess not. No reason for them to play an (almost) free gig ahead of their own huge tour.

They even said (joked) in the tour announcement that the comeback “would not be televised”.
They would have sold all their tickets several times over before Glastonbury even goes on sale.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I can see why Hurts would be big in Germany. If you told me they were German I'd believe you.
yes, almost slightly surprised that they're english to be honest

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Ah yes, I went to this panel thing with Alan McGhee and Anton Newcombe a few years ago...that gig came up in conversation.
Thing is, it’s a bloody good gig - Noel is superb. But it wasn’t Oasis, when they should’ve been at their absolute peak and with Liam’s voice generally in good nick at that time. Instead he fucks off for a three day bender, heckles Noel during the show. Just a disaster. doesn’t matter how good the show is when your lead singer is being that much of a dick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here