Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - Visiting the US and Visas

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I know there are a lot of NSC'ers who regularly visit the US, so can I check my understanding of the visa situation. As I read it:

UK citizens with a valid passport do not need to have a visa to visit the US on holiday. But the passport must be machine readable.

Is there ANYTHING I need to sort out before I actually jump on the plane at Gatwick (apart from ticket, baggage etc etc) to allow me to enter the US or is having a UK passport enough?

Many thanks

scooter1

How soon is now?
I know there are a lot of NSC'ers who regularly visit the US, so can I check my understanding of the visa situation. As I read it:

UK citizens with a valid passport do not need to have a visa to visit the US on holiday. But the passport must be machine readable.

Is there ANYTHING I need to sort out before I actually jump on the plane at Gatwick (apart from ticket, baggage etc etc) to allow me to enter the US or is having a UK passport enough?

Many thanks

You'll be given to a card to fill out on the plane. In addition to this you will also need to fill out another card(which they don't tell you about) when you land. They don't tell you this until you get to the angry immigration men, by which time you've queued for a while. At JFK there is a couple of women who stand to thr right side of immigration by the window holding out this 2nd card. Its a pain in the arse, but without it they'll not let you in - even for a weekend. My missus got a right grilling and we only went for 3 days... Oh and its also worth having the address of the hotel with you as they will ask for it and expect you to know it

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not really. Just make sure you do fill out the green visa waiver form on the plane out there, and when they staple it to the inside of your passport, DON'T take it out! Let US customs do that when you leave.

One other thing - you can't take much liquid on the plane as hand luggage any more. So don't buy loads of duty free on your way out expecting to carry it on board.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You'll be given to a card to fill out on the plane. In addition to this you will also need to fill out another card(which they don't tell you about) when you land. They don't tell you this until you get to the angry immigration men, by which time you've queued for a while. At JFK there is a couple of women who stand to thr right side of immigration by the window holding out this 2nd card. Its a pain in the arse, but without it they'll not let you in - even for a weekend. My missus got a right grilling and we only went for 3 days... Oh and its also worth having the address of the hotel with you as they will ask for it and expect you to know it
Is JFK the wankiest airport in the Western World? I can't think of a single British Airport anywhere near as crap as JFK.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Is JFK the wankiest airport in the Western World? I can't think of a single British Airport anywhere near as crap as JFK.

Its miles away from anywhere, It took us 2 hours to get to by subway and tran from central New York.

I have to go to London to have a Visa interview in March - fun.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
And have a pen - there seems to be a shortage of them at US airports, and despite the belief that americans are "happy to help", those with access to pens tend to miserable c*nts

And get ready to wait hours to get thourgh, in fact dont bother going.

I have to go to London to have a Visa interview in March - fun.

But remember ...

"A visa allows a foreign citizen to travel to the United States port-of entry, and request permission of the U.S. immigration inspector to enter the U.S. A visa does not guarantee entry into the U.S".

That is from the US Department of State website that explains the visa / visa waiver system, in about 50 million words.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_1750.html

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as i understand it, get a visa in advance and more or less walk straight through.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think you will find that you can only get a Visa in advance if you have something to declare ie. criminal convictions or want a working/business visa

For a simple tourist visa, you have to fill the cards out.

Yeah I need the working one, I have to prove Im going to come back!

And have a pen - there seems to be a shortage of them at US airports, and despite the belief that americans are "happy to help", those with access to pens tend to miserable c*nts

That's RIGHT! It's unbelievable how Americans have a phobia against pens or something!

You go to a bank and they often have a pen attached on a wire in the line for the teller.... and the bastard thing is out of ink for months or the refill has been nicked (and won't get replaced for several weeks). Thus the people wait longer while EVERY person has to screw around at the teller's station to fill out multiple forms, cheques and deposit slips.

Wankers. No wonder a moron like Bush can run the country

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Is JFK the wankiest airport in the Western World?

Most definitely, although it does vary a bit from terminal to terminal. The Delta terminal was pretty good on my last visit -- although of course the airline itself is terrible once you get on board. All my worst experiences have been in the dire "International Terminal" (Terminal 4). Last time I went that way it took two hours to get through passport control, then over two hours to check-in when leaving because the airport authorities had kindly issued KLM with ONE check-in desk to deal with 400 passengers.

Mind you, ground transport has got a lot better since the AirTrain opened a few years ago. At least you are no longer faced with the 45-minute ride through EVERY long-term car park just to reach dismal Howard Beach subway station, and then at least another hour train ride into the city.

And I do have one positive memory of JFK. I went to New York for Xmas about 10 years ago, and was stamped through passport control in 5 minutes with a smile and a hearty "Ho! Ho! Ho!" by none other than Santa himself. :xmas:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Many thanks

It rather depends on what could be called 'Regular'. If you visit the US more than twice a year using a Visa Waiver they are almost certain to detain you and search your luggage as you will be suspected of being a drug smuggler. Regular vists are a lot easier if you get a Visa which save a whole lot of hassle. I do speak from personal experience.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
One other thing - you can't take much liquid on the plane as hand luggage any more. So don't buy loads of duty free on your way out expecting to carry it on board.

Thats not true, you are limited to how much liquid you can take through the security check but you are not limited to what purchases you can make from the shops once you are through security. Most US Airports will now give you whatever you've purchased in the shops as you board the aircraft rather than you carry it around the depature lounge with you.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Not really. Just make sure you do fill out the green visa waiver form on the plane out there, and when they staple it to the inside of your passport, DON'T take it out! Let US customs do that when you leave.

I guess if they don't remove it they still believe you are in the states.

We went to Canada last year and spent a day in America popping across the bridge at Niagara. We had the usual delay going through customs however on the way back into Canada we were just waved through and it wasn't until we got back to the UK I realised we still had the green visa stapled to our passports.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here