Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T trouble in Brighton

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Preston Park station underpass is getting a bit rough, two little cockers tried it on with me on Sunday night the little scroat wanted £10 to let me walk through, I kicked one of them VERY had in the bollocks and the other one just ran, when I started acting a bit deranged.

Yeah, PP and the area just behind the station is getting bad, an OB that drinks in The Station told me that it was a group that used to piss about on Dyke Road behind Tesco express that are moving up in the world, some kind of gang territory thing.

Last edited:

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
I moved just over a year ago & fancied Brighton, but because of the trouble I decided to stay in 'safe' Crowborough.

The flat is still covered by CCTV & an entry system though ???

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I hate storie like this, I now live in London and only think of
Brighton with rose tinted glasses.
I thought it was always sunny and full of pretty girls....

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
I live in Crawley and what Maffew described is sadly a bit common place here. In the past 2 years, I have

* Been assulted twice by chavs though not seriously

* Been followed or chased by chavs

I am now seriously considering moving to the H.Heath/ B.Hill or Lewes area.

I'm going to tire of saying this to people;

CARRY MACE OR PEPPER SPRAY

I don't care if it is 'illegal', your attackers have the job of sorting that out if they can even track you down long after you have left the scene. Anyway, it will discourage these scum from having a go, if they have to worry about normal potential victims being armed with protection.

Every person should carry some 'insurance', or regret the consequences ever after.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I was mugged about 6 years ago on my way to a very early shift at the station. Three blokes who were quite obviously on drugs twatted me a few times, and stole the four pounds I was carrying.

I was also held up at "knifepoint" in Manchester (ie the bloke said he had a knife and would stab me if I didn't hand over my phone... for some reason I said "let's see the knife then" and then flagged down a passing bus and got onto it. Never saw the knife)

I've never been seriously hurt, thank f***. But then I am 6'4" and 16 stone.

Rougvie said:
Preston Park station underpass is getting a bit rough, two little cockers tried it on with me on Sunday night the little scroat wanted £10 to let me walk through, I kicked one of them VERY had in the bollocks and the other one just ran, when I started acting a bit deranged.

Yeah, PP and the area just behind the station is getting bad, an OB that drinks in The Station told me that it was a group that used to piss about on Dyke Road behind Tesco express that are moving up in the world, some kind of gang territory thing.

Know what you mean. A couple of little scrotes advanced on me quite aggresively outside Unwins the other night. But once I gave them 50p for their Guy they seemed quite pleased and said "fanks mate".

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
A bloke I playe rugby with broke his foot and when he came off crutches he was still in plaster with one of those club foot things.

He was walking home and five scally kids told him to give them his money. He told them to f*** off and they then said theyd knife him and got their knives out.

Normally he would have twatted them but there was no way he could get away because of his ankle.

He showed them he had no money so they threw his wallet over the wall after taking his cash card out and frogmarched him to the nearest cash machine.

They demanded £200, he bartered them to £20. Handed over the cash. They marched him back to the alleyway they had thrown his wallet away in. Found it, cleaned it off and said 'Wed better walk you home, there are some right arseholes around here'.

He chinned one and hobbled off.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Having been mugged at knifepoint in 1971 when I was doing my paper round in Moulsecoomb, I honestly can't say that things are getting worse.

I feel sorry for the people who have been attacked lately, but every town has its share of morons and I know that Brighton is no exception.

NMH said:

I don't care if it is 'illegal', your attackers have the job of sorting that out if they can even track you down long after you have left the scene. Anyway, it will discourage these scum from having a go, if they have to worry about normal potential victims being armed with protection.

Every person should carry some 'insurance', or regret the consequences ever after.

Not a bad idea but you're most likely to get done over after a night out, if you get snared by the bouncers random searching you on the door to a club and they find mace spray on ya you'll most probably get banned for life.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Well Ive been going out for 13 years now into Brighton on average about once a week and Ive got into trouble twice in that time (1993 &1995). When I first started going out in 1990 violence was commonplace in West St etc. but from about 1995 uptil maybe a year ago I think it has been relativley trouble free. Seems a shame that it is getting violent again (and these days its not just fists people are threatened with).

Maybe people aren't taking as much ecstacy as they used to. :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think its safe to conclude that things are no different to 10, 15, 20 or more years ago. At the end of the day there's pond life and chavs everywhere you go.

I think its interesting though that some people want to go to "quite" places like Lewes. I remember Lewes being very dodgy on a Friday and Saturday night, with dozens of wankers beered up and looking for a fight.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
beorhthelm said:
I think its safe to conclude that things are no different to 10, 15, 20 or more years ago. At the end of the day there's pond life and chavs everywhere you go.

In the 50's it was teddy boy gangs (Brighton was notorious for gangs) then mods and rockers fighting, then skinheads etc. etc.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yorkie said:
In the 50's it was teddy boy gangs (Brighton was notorious for gangs) then mods and rockers fighting, then skinheads etc. etc.

And in the 30s and 40s it was the racecourse gangs (see Brighton Rock).

Sadly, violence has always been with us.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Richie Morris said:
You should try living in Hull.

no thanks. I'm not saying theres not worse places than Brighton. Of course there are, and I'm not saying theres there not worse places in Brighton than PP, it just seems to be a bit more common place now when I moved here just 4 years ago. I know you get sh1t everywhere. I like Brighton a lot still, and pay over the odds on a nice flat on Preston Park cos I like the area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by NMH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah tempting, however believe me I wouldnt have had chance to use it. The first punch came from the side and was strong enough to break my glasses and knock me down, being a tad short sighted and dark when I did get eventually get up I couldnt see who my girlfriend was 3 feet away from me

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Yorkie said:

yeah but did they randomly kick the shit out of innocent couples walking passed?

Incidentally, a few of the group seemed disgusted and tried to help by giving my keys back and telling me to run

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Cycle and use a D-lock. The cycle itself is a useful defensive weapon (only useful against stationery cars) and the D-lock can be used as a pro-active assault blunt stabbing style atttack weapon on the stomach of the victim, or bash them on the shoulder but it has limited usefulness as a missile. Some people prefer the long chains with a whirring heavy padlock at the end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here