Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - Thinking of getting a MacBook Pro.

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Interesting thread. I am considering buying an imac, too, for pretty much the same reasons as Sergei: itunes, photos, internet, word and excel. I have only ever used a PC but my windows vista Fujitsu desktop is really slowing down and is really rather ugly. The imac looks so sleek and there is not much clutter but would appreciate it if anyone could point out the real down sides of making the switch

JCF

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Mac Versions of Excel/Word ? they are fine for most things but unless there has been a recent update completely useless for me.

Office for Mac 2011 came out 5 or 6 weeks ago. Never used it though because, unlike you it seems, Google Docs is perfectly adequate for all my home spreadsheet purposes where I really don't need anything beyond basic functions.

two thing about macs - downloading from torrents etc is hard / impossible (would LOVE to be corrected here)

Never had any problems at all. Currently, http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/mac is my client of choice but there's loads.

Works very well with ted: torrent episode downloader - downloads new episodes for your favorite TV Shows if, for example, you don't have Sky but like US TV shows.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Interesting thread. I am considering buying an imac, too, for pretty much the same reasons as Sergei: itunes, photos, internet, word and excel. I have only ever used a PC but my windows vista Fujitsu desktop is really slowing down and is really rather ugly. The imac looks so sleek and there is not much clutter but would appreciate it if anyone could point out the real down sides of making the switch

JCF

Like others, I made the PC -> Mac switch a few years back and initially hated the experience. No real idea why but my guess would be c20 years of PC using foibles engrained into me. Now, I wouldn't have anything else for home use.

If you've already got some investment in the Mac ecosystem, for music/iTunes you're on the way already. You'll most likely find iPhoto fantastic to use and the new version of iMovie, which you'll get with a new Mac, looks brilliant.

Apple injected a little bit of magic into Saturday morning's Christmas tree decorating session: we were streaming a Christmas music playlist from the Mac to the TV via Apple TV, which was all nice and lovely. Then, after a few minutes, the currently default screensaver kicked in, which was the last 12 months photos from iPhoto complete with Ken Burns effects. There was something that just seemed quite right, as the end of the year approached, to have highlights from the last year being played back on the TV.

I'm sure there are other, possibly cheaper, solutions to have a photo slideshow on your lounge TV, but I doubt there are many that are as painless, seamless and just so damned nice.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Office for Mac 2011 came out 5 or 6 weeks ago. Never used it though because, unlike you it seems, Google Docs is perfectly adequate for all my home spreadsheet purposes where I really don't need anything beyond basic functions.

Never had any problems at all. Currently, http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/mac is my client of choice but there's loads.

Works very well with ted: torrent episode downloader - downloads new episodes for your favorite TV Shows if, for example, you don't have Sky but like US TV shows.

The latest very of Office for Macs now has Outlook rather than the less than brilliant Entourage so in for all intents and purposes fully compatible with Windows servers (Exchange). Makes life a lot easier for people like me. Torrents I can't say but I doubt that it's a serious issue as I'm sure there are alternatives. I am going to have to up my Mac game as shortly I will be looking after two belonging to two very computer illiterate relatives. Why do they want them ? Simple. viruses on their PCs, end of.

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Like others, I made the PC -> Mac switch a few years back and initially hated the experience. No real idea why but my guess would be c20 years of PC using foibles engrained into me. Now, I wouldn't have anything else for home use.

If you've already got some investment in the Mac ecosystem, for music/iTunes you're on the way already. You'll most likely find iPhoto fantastic to use and the new version of iMovie, which you'll get with a new Mac, looks brilliant.

Apple injected a little bit of magic into Saturday morning's Christmas tree decorating session: we were streaming a Christmas music playlist from the Mac to the TV via Apple TV, which was all nice and lovely. Then, after a few minutes, the currently default screensaver kicked in, which was the last 12 months photos from iPhoto complete with Ken Burns effects. There was something that just seemed quite right, as the end of the year approached, to have highlights from the last year being played back on the TV.

I'm sure there are other, possibly cheaper, solutions to have a photo slideshow on your lounge TV, but I doubt there are many that are as painless, seamless and just so damned nice.

Cheers, Boz, my mind was already on the way to being made up. Having an iphone ipod etc...it seems to make sense to have the mac

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I'm thinking of getting a mac. I used both a PC and Mac for work but would like a Mac Book Pro for home. I have thousands of itunes tracks on my old PC (XP) how easy is it to get it all off and on a new mac if I decide to go for one?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Cheers, Boz, my mind was already on the way to being made up. Having an iphone ipod etc...it seems to make sense to have the mac

I bought an IMac last November (09) my first foray into the Mac World. What convinced me was that you could still run all your windows software (Win XP/7 plus whatever) by Bootcamp or Virtualisation software (in my case, I purchased Parallels). Can't say I have regretted it for one minute. I even purchased a 13" MacBook Air a couple of weeks back as I like the Mac OS so much!

Also you have a 14 day money back guarantee, no questions asked either instore or over the Internet. So if you can't get on with it, just return it! But you won't!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Before spending any money, download and try linux.
Have a look at Kubuntu

I don't believe Linux supports iTunes, which is one of his requirements. Would be my choice though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
After years of being a PC user and with my current Vaio finally being too painfully slow to use it is time for an upgrade. I'm being drawn to the 2.4GHz 13" MacBook Pro. I will mainly use it for browsing, music, video, photos, downloading and general "Office" type applications. Is this he right machine for me? Having never owned a Mac before i am a little nervous about making the switch. Are there any pitfalls that I should consider or is it nothing to worry about? Is it easy to move your iTunes library from PC to Mac? Have done a bit of research on the web but am hoping the good sages of NSC can give an additional perspective.

(don't want to start another anti-apple tirade so genuine and sensible advice only please)

A bit like asking yourself if you want a punch in the face or a million pounds.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Don't forget, Apple Mac's run Windows or other operating systems through either Boot Camp (requires restart to begin using alternative OS), or 3rd party software like Parallels (which I use) or VM Fusion which allows you to switch between Windows and Mac without restarting. I do a lot of RAM hungry CAD work between AutoCAD on Windows XP, and Vectorworks on the Mac, and Parallels handles the switching between absolutely fine. Both Parallels and VM are under £100.

http://www.apple.com/uk/findouthow/mac/#windowsmac

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Got my first Mac in 2006 and would never change back. I'm still using the same iMac and, unlike any PC I've ever had, it starts up quickly four years on and since I installed a Snow Leopard upgrade (which was a doddle) can handle everything I ask it to do. It is slightly slower than it used to be but I'm going to try adding some extra RAM for about £60 - which is said to be straightforward - before I even consider getting a new machine.

The other thing that always sticks in my mind was getting my first Macbook (also 2006) and being amazed that I could literally stick an ethernet cable in the slot, open the web browser and it just worked. Nothing to set up at all.

When the hard drive failed on my old Macbook after almsot three years, the Apple store was great. It was well out of warranty so I expected a big bill or to just have to buy a new machine. In fact, they checked the serial number, told me Apple had extended the cover (presumably because a fault had come to light with that HDD) and replaced the drive within four hours. In fact, it was an upgrade - the same size HDD was out of stock, so they just put a bigger one instead at no cost or delay.

The downside: occasional compatibility issues with the rest of the world who use PCs - but I've never come across anything insurmountable - and the lack, as far as I know, of an equivalent to ALT-F on MS, allowing you to navigate the menu bar without first using the mouse (useful when you don't know the keyboard shortcuts by heart). They're small negatives though.

Incidentally, it's well worth looking at the refurbished section on the Apple store - the only real way to get a decent discount. I bought my Macbook Pro like that, saved quite a bit and it appeared to be brand new. The only difference is it comes in a plain cardboard box rather than a pretty printed one. Have a root around on the web and you'll find loads of similar stories. There are even people who say they got more than they bargained for as, if a machine was originally ordered with extra spec (increased RAM etc), Apple don't remove that, just refurb and re-sell.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I loved my Mac but changes back because I fancied a bit of PC gaming ocasionally and bought a beefy windows laptop, still have my Mac for lightweight web browsing.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I moved over tail end of 2006 and won't move back. On my second MBP and considering getting a new one (not that there is anything wrong with this one, just fancy an upgrade and they hold their value pretty well so reckon I'll be able to flog this one for £800ish). Also bought a 2nd hand MacBook from Bozza which is more than adequate for using for work (I took it to SA with me for a month during the WC).

They are well built, use decent hardware, awesome OS and they retain their value second hand. Yes they are expensive for what they are but if you've got the cash to spend (and if you've had a Vaio before hand they aren't cheap) then I'd say go for it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I moved over tail end of 2006 and won't move back. On my second MBP and considering getting a new one (not that there is anything wrong with this one, just fancy an upgrade and they hold their value pretty well so reckon I'll be able to flog this one for £800ish). Also bought a 2nd hand MacBook from Bozza which is more than adequate for using for work (I took it to SA with me for a month during the WC).

They are well built, use decent hardware, awesome OS and they retain their value second hand. Yes they are expensive for what they are but if you've got the cash to spend (and if you've had a Vaio before hand they aren't cheap) then I'd say go for it.

It's a good point you raise about them holding their value. However I've been toying with the idea of buying a second hand one. However because of the cost I am not that interested as frankly I'm perfectly happy with my PCs. Oh, if you find that your PC is going slow I suggest downloading the free version of Advanced System Care. I have used to to clean up and tune a lot of PCs and the effect is quite dramatic. It's a suite of programs that get rid of Spyware, clean up the registry, defrag the hard drive(s) and tune an internet connection amongst other things.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I don't believe Linux supports iTunes, which is one of his requirements. Would be my choice though.

Its good to read about another linux user. What distro are you running? I have been running Ubuntu for the few years on my machine, not had one single issue and every release gets better and better.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Oh, if you find that your PC is going slow I suggest downloading the free version of Advanced System Care. I have used to to clean up and tune a lot of PCs and the effect is quite dramatic. It's a suite of programs that get rid of Spyware, clean up the registry, defrag the hard drive(s) and tune an internet connection amongst other things.

I don't have to do any of that on my Mac !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here