Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - Teachers/Teaching

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Very few jobs around and lots of graduates coming out of Universities mean that a significant number of qualified teachers are ending up without a job in teaching.

I am sure there was something related to this in the news the other day to back this up.

With government cut backs only just beginning to bite, it is only going to get more difficult to get a job.

That's the thing that's putting me off most of all. On the other hand, I don't want to be on nursery low pay forever!

If you could find the link, I'd be very grateful.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
When as a young man I taught for the Jesuits -- we used to say over the odd pint 'It's a good thing teaching is a vital ministry and one of the spiritual works of mercy -- because it's a shit job.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Worked as a French teacher for 11 years in Portsmouth before moving abroad.

What do I miss about the job? I had some great colleagues - Friday after school pub was brilliant, the kids were for the most part nice and the top groups were a pleasure to teach.

I don't miss the bolshy parents, the 20% of kids who were gobby wind-up merchants.

If you're doing a PGCE, you'll know within weeks if it's right for you. Good luck!

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
I'm halfway through my third year of a 4 year teaching degree in norway, so i can at least tell you about the education. It's great, effing hard work, but very rewarding when your lessons start hitting the mark and the pupils are enjoying themselves. I've done a good deal of substitute teaching too and can say that placement periods during the course have little resemblance to actually working full time. I'd go for it if i were you, i get a real buzz from it on good days.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Blimey, how many primary teachers are on here? And are we all 12-16 years experienced? Strange coincidence.

I love the job, very rewarding and the holidays are great but, AND THIS IS TRUE, we do spend some of it working. I find the harder I work during term time the less I have to over the hols but it is a great career.

What is fantastic is the ability to teach in completely different age ranges and transfer jobs across the country. I was teaching year six (10/11 year olds) the basics of algebra in Weston-super-Mare one minute then two months later teaching year one the basic phonemes of the English language in Cambridge.

More than welcome to give you advice, I have a PGCE student in my class at the mo and can tell you the PGCE is hard work. I personally preferred the BEd 4 year course, but I'm possibly now in the minority - too old school.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
BOF, I'm (obviously) not a teacher, nor can I offer any advice as such, but I think it's great that you're thinking about it...schools in the primary sector in particular desperately need more male teachers. I'm sure it's potentially an incredibly rewarding job, emotionally if not so much financially. Go for it, and good luck :thumbsup:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
BoF!

Been involved in a variety of sectors of the education sector for pretty much 30 years. The info about no jobs is misleading. It depends what you are a teaching and to who. For example foreign languages is still horrendously understaffed. To give you more info I would need to know more about exactly what you were planning to do.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Be humble! Nothing pisses me off more than teachers who insist on starting sentences with 'Well I'm a teacher and....' as if they should get special privileges or their opinion should be more valued. Often heard on radio phone-ins, in doctors surgeries when demanding special appointment times etc.
Special request: Do stop kids saying 'Would of' and 'Haitch' from an early age. Thank you and good luck with your career choice.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
The truth is that anyone who has been in education think they know everything about education... and that is just about everyone. The truth is that as a teacher you have to remain true to your principles and learn to deal with the demands of parents and stakeholders who think they know better than you. As a parent and an educationalist I am the worst kind of brew and I often have to tell myself to hold back when I want to complain to teachers about why the kids arent talking properly and why this or that teacher wasnt as respectful as they should be. It is a tough job with occasional very high stress periods but in no other job can you go home very single day knowing you made a smidgeon (and sometimes it might be smaller but you will have made it) of difference. And for that I love it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Well I'm and teacher and...I say go for it. I teach here in Australia so i guess things are a little different. The money sucks but if you can afford it and you put more emphasis on making a difference in life then it is incredibly rewarding, not to mention bloody good fun sometimes ( I spent two weeks last year looking after kids while we all got surfing lessons). The work load over here is ever increasing and the holidays are a god send when they arrive.

I say give it a try.

You also get preferential treatment on radio phone ins and at the doctors surgery (well we would of if people didn't keep complaining)

Don't forget the golden rule and teach the kids to say 'haitch' to irritate Super Steve Earle, my mum and other people who don't understand that the English language is an ever evolving thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here