Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Simple Explanations For Complex Subjects

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Quite a few good examples recently of the challenge involved in covering complex subjects in a short period of time, in a way that ordinary people can grasp, without dumbing the whole thing down to such an extant as to make it meaningless.

Worst Case - BBC News last night soon we will all be able to use 4G on our mobile phones. Apparently that includes the 90% plus of mobile phones we own that don't and can't support a 4G signal.

Instead try this one - Just what does BT have planned for its 4G licence: We drill into UK LTE • The Register It is way more complicated but it still provides some useful pointers, with explanations. Who will likely provide the best service in metropolitan areas ? who will likely provide the best coverage in rural areas ? How will the services offered differ from company to company ?

Driving back from Cardiff yesterday, I was hopping between radio channels and picked up an interesting piece on Radio4 about the link between anti-inflammatory drugs and heart attacks. I have no specific interest in the subject, but the information was presented so clearly, I just absorbed the key points.

We have so many discussions on here around politics and economics, especially which party is to blame. I really enjoyed this analysis The Great Moderation - Economics Blog

It covers the period 1993 - to present. Such a long term view covers a wide range of governments and policies. It seems politicians have little or no means of influencing key global trends, that truly impact the financial well being of all of us and yet it is the main criteria on which they are judged. Is it any wonder so many people are dismissive of the entire breed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Radio 4 is brilliant for giving a decent background on a subject.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
64514_4633163065900_1886503122_n.jpg

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

HE can be a bit obsequious, and he sometimes sounds like he's shoving jam dougnuts into his gob whilst doing the show, but I find that Melvyn Bragg on "In Our Time" delivers a solid amount of information in a really manageable way - about seemingly random subjects that ordinarily I wouldn't give a flying Glenn about. Like the 1812 war or something.

- - - Updated - - -

HE can be a bit obsequious, and he sometimes sounds like he's shoving jam dougnuts into his gob whilst doing the show, but I find that Melvyn Bragg on "In Our Time" delivers a solid amount of information in a really manageable way - about seemingly random subjects that ordinarily I wouldn't give a flying Glenn about. Like the 1812 war or something.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Just reminded of another epic fail. A few years back South Today interviewed a Brighton tour guide, who had been giving guided tours of the city for 20 years and loved the place. Asked what one thing would improve Brighton she said

A sandy beach - It is such a shame that Brighton naturally has a pebbly beach

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Worst Case - BBC News last night soon we will all be able to use 4G on our mobile phones. Apparently that includes the 90% plus of mobile phones we own that don't and can't support a 4G signal.

Might not be the case, but they could well have taken into account the rate at which people turnover phone handsets and so they are really saying something like... "in 18m there will a 4G network available for most the country and most of us will have changed handsets to something compatible"

...or I am just defending idiots who know sh*t?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Might not be the case, but they could well have taken into account the rate at which people turnover phone handsets and so they are really saying something like... "in 18m there will a 4G network available for most the country and most of us will have changed handsets to something compatible"

...or I am just defending idiots who know sh*t?

You are right of course, but I just thought the dumbed down version was misleading.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I love In Our Time.... and all the back-issues are podcast. The best ones are where Bragg trolls his own guests.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here