• no

Votes: 26 50.0%

• Total voters

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
perseus said:
What the Telegraph readers think

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...g=yourview&xml=/news/2006/10/12/ublview12.xml

The BBC is the British establishment news and culture media. Should it be centralised in Manchester or have news stations all around the UK?

If they are determined to become the Government centralised voice, why should it be a Quango and not answerable through the democratic electorate?

Brighton and Sussex should have its own TV station.

I'm not interested in what Telegraph readers think :lolol:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The licence fee will eventually be "reformed"

The current thinking is to introduce one on PC OWNERSHIP :p

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
clapham_gull said:
The government are now longer the BBC's "paymasters" by the way. Since 1991, they've collected their own licence fee.

The only part of the BBC that is funded directly by the government is the World Service.

How you think the BBC will become more "politically independent" by paying for it through direct taxation is right up there with your stadium plans.

The Politicians endorse the payment method and the amount of the fee (which is effectively a poll tax on property). They will also enforce the licence evaders through their Courts.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
clapham_gull said:
The licence fee will eventually be "reformed"

The current thinking is to introduce one on PC OWNERSHIP :p

Do they plan to tax books and writing paper next?

Will they have computer detector vans, or will they have another method of electronic snooping?

Dandyman

In London village.
clapham_gull said:
I rather pay the BBC to do things properly than send a teenager out onto the street with a camera he had a couple of days training to use.

As soon as the licence fee goes you'll see the quality of programming fall through the floor across the board.

The BBC won't feel the need to live up to its Public Service remit, and other channels won't feel the need to produce quality programming to compete with the BBC.

Compared to the cost of SKY (and the quality you get for your money) the BBC represents excellent value.

We honestly don't know how lucky we are to have it.

:clap:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I can see Major Bufton Tufton (Wingnut on Thames) in his armchair reading his Sunday Telegraph.

Just settling down to watch Songs of Praise followed by Antiques Roadshow, he finds out that his letter asking for those bloody lefties at the BBC to be wiped off the airways has set the wheels in motion.

Not to worry...

Songs of Praise has been replaced by the JAY'SUS LOVES YOU SHOW (they use teams of script writers out there don't you know..) on the God Channel.

Whilst good old QVC are selling some remarkable replica antique look diamonique earings, that whilst worth jack shit in the current market are advisable to be insured for pratically f*ck all.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
From the Telegraph article above, here are a couple of views from readers (Viz would be proud..)

The best way for the BBC to cut costs would be for them to close. Then the public would be cutting costs as well. A win-win situation!

I'm sure that this would be supported in a referendum.

:lol:

The BBC has a very strong political agenda. I don't see why every English person has to pay to promote it just because they own a television. The BBC is so out of touch with reality, as proven by the number of Brits moving abroad.

:lolol: :lolol:

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'd introduce legislation banning Noel Edmonds though.

(even though he's currently on Channel Four)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here