Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - Plumbing question

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I know there's at least 1 plumber on here, maybe more, so...

I have a couple of radiators in the new house which run hot water at the sides and at the top but are stone cold in the middle.

I've been advised that a flush may be necessary but also that it may be a problem with the thermostatic valves on the radiator.

How would I check that the valves are working correctly without flooding hot water everywhere?

Cheers

Barnet

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Barnet Seagull said:

I have a couple of radiators in the new house which run hot water at the sides and at the top but are stone cold in the middle.

I've been advised that a flush may be necessary but also that it may be a problem with the thermostatic valves on the radiator.

How would I check that the valves are working correctly without flooding hot water everywhere?

Cheers

Barnet

John Boy's company sorted a fecked radiator out for me and I was well impressed with the service. However I had the same problem with the system needing a flush but when they came to do it it seemed the boiler was a bit old and knackered (leaking very slightly) so they decided against doing it as the flush is apparently quite aggressive and would have fecked the boiler totally.

The above ramble is a round about way of suggesting that your boiler is in good nick before you let someone flush the system :eek:

Last edited:

John Boy

Paul McShane
Aug 15, 2004
'ove actually
seven stands said:
it can work out cheaper to replace all your radiators than have the system flushed

Depends how many radiators/ style of radiators you have etc. There can still be sludge in the pipework, even if you do replace the radiators, so not really gaining anything

Barnet- If you have a problem with more than one rad, it is normally that the system is sludgy and needs a power flush.

It sounds like your rad is full of sludge as it is cold in the middle.

Like Icy Gull says, make sure your boiler (and rads and valves) are leak and rust free as it could cause a nasty, sludgy leak everywhere!

Last edited:

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
John Boy said:
Depends how many radiators/ style of radiators you have etc. There can still be sludge in the pipework, even if you do replace the radiators, so not really gaining anything

Barnet- If you have a problem with more than one rad, it is normally that the system is sludgy and needs a power flush.

It sounds like your rad is full of sludge as it is cold in the middle.

Like Icy Gull says, make sure your boiler (and rads and valves) are leak and rust free as it could cause a nasty, sludgy leak everywhere!

im a plumber thinking about going out on my own now. The company i work for havent got a flushing machine do you have one and do you feel it gets rid of most the sludge as most plumbers say they are crap. Went on a Halstead training course and they suggest to just replace the radiators

John Boy

Paul McShane
Aug 15, 2004
'ove actually
seven stands said:
im a plumber thinking about going out on my own now. The company i work for havent got a flushing machine do you have one and do you feel it gets rid of most the sludge as most plumbers say they are crap. Went on a Halstead training course and they suggest to just replace the radiators

We have one, and IMO they do a great job at removing sludge from the system.

We had a job outside of Henfield the other month, in a massive house which the system was full of sludge. The pump was blocked solid so needed replacing, and the customer had nothing but problems with the system (only a few rads getting hot etc).

We powerflushed the system and added Sentinel x400 cleanser and left it flushing around for a couple of hours. Afterwards we added Sentinel x100 inhibitor and left the system working fine.

Last edited:

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
John Boy said:
We have one, and IMO they do a great job at removing sludge from the system.

We had a job outside of Henfield the other month, in a massive house which the system was full of sludge. The pump was blocked solid so needed replacing, and the customer had nothing but problems with the system (only a few rads getting hot etc).

We powerflushed the system and added Sentinel x400 cleanser and left it flushing around for a couple of hours. Afterwards we added Sentinel x100 inhibitor and left the system working fine.

cheers i may have to borrow one of someone i know and try one out before spend £`s to buy one. Magnetic boiler buddys are great for protecting the boiler

Last edited:

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
not cheap at £90 but stops a lot of sludge from going into the boiler, and looks good if/when boiler goes wrong during the warranty period :)

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Barnet Seagull said:

Cheers

Barnet

If it's cold at the bottom it is definately sludge.

You've got two options:

1) Powerflush: Can be good but expensive and doesn't always work well on badly sludged systems (which yours probably is if the radiators have big cold spots)

2) Remove the radiators and manually flush: Cheap as chips, will clear the offending rads no problem but will not cleanse the entire system. Basically shut the valves off, take the rad outside and flush it through with a hose, shake it about and beat it to f*** with a mallet. Works a treat. When all your rads are hot clean the rest of the system by putting sludge remover in and running it for a couple of weeks then drain and refill adding inhibitor. Jobs a goodun and all for the princely sum of about £20 (and a bit of manual work).

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Re: Re: O/T - Plumbing question

Rangdo said:
If it's cold at the bottom it is definately sludge.

You've got two options:

1) Powerflush: Can be good but expensive and doesn't always work well on badly sludged systems (which yours probably is if the radiators have big cold spots)

2) Remove the radiators and manually flush: Cheap as chips, will clear the offending rads no problem but will not cleanse the entire system. Basically shut the valves off, take the rad outside and flush it through with a hose, shake it about and beat it to f*** with a mallet. Works a treat. When all your rads are hot clean the rest of the system by putting sludge remover in and running it for a couple of weeks then drain and refill adding inhibitor. Jobs a goodun and all for the princely sum of about £20 (and a bit of manual work).

Thanks for the suggestion - after a bit of a go last night, I'm guessing it's 2) - sludge - certainly not clean when I bled the rad.

I think I'll change the rads as the boiler looks pretty new.

Cheers again :)

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Re: Re: Re: O/T - Plumbing question

Barnet Seagull said:
Thanks for the suggestion - after a bit of a go last night, I'm guessing it's 2) - sludge - certainly not clean when I bled the rad.

I think I'll change the rads as the boiler looks pretty new.

Cheers again :)

You don't necessarily need to change them. Just flush through the ones you've got. Shut the valves, drain the rad and take it outside. Then

1) Half fill it with water with a hose

2) Tip it back and forth

3) Bang the flat sides with a mallet.

4) Tip it up and empty it

5) Flush it through with a hose

6) Repeat until water runs clear

Whatever you do (flush existing or fit new) make sure that once complete you run some sludge remover through the system, drain and refill with inhibitor otherwise it'll just happen all over again pretty quickly.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
I had a phosphate enema yesterday and can only describe it as the human version of a full on POWERFLUSH.

:blush:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here