Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T plumbers

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Does anyone know a good plumber, preferably one that speaks combi boiler and can sort out a pressure drop in the system?

One that doesn't charge £99 an hour would be good. They would need to come to Seaford as I don't think I can bring my central heating system to them.

Monkey Man

Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Thanks for all that. Yes, we keep topping up but the pressure always goes down again after the timer switches off. Hence cold showers in the morning and cold wet towels.

I read the earlier thread with interest ... especially as I also have an Ariston. I suspect I'm going to fork out a lot of money here, but I wouldn't want anyone thinking that meant the kiddies' Christmas was being ruined.

Sort code 45-33-87
Acc no 3536278

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
You have a leak somewhere. Have you checked to see if the safety valve is letting by? There should be an overflow type pipe coming from the boiler and terminating outside the house. Is it dripping?

Monkey Man

Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
No but there is a drip from a pipe just under the boiler that fills a bucket over the course of a week or two. It was supposedly fixed 6 months ago and although it's irritating it's not caused any apparent pressure loss until recently. So I think you're right, but I'm confused why it should be such a problem now -- perhaps the fact the boiler is now doing central heating as well as hot water.

I know, I know ... :dunce:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Monkey Man said:
No but there is a drip from a pipe just under the boiler that fills a bucket over the course of a week or two. It was supposedly fixed 6 months ago and although it's irritating it's not caused any apparent pressure loss until recently. So I think you're right, but I'm confused why it should be such a problem now -- perhaps the fact the boiler is now doing central heating as well as hot water.

I know, I know ... :dunce:

So the pipe just comes out of the boiler and is open at one end and is currently dripping into a bucket?

Monkey Man

Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
No, not quite that bad. There's a dodgy seal on one of the pipes that feeds in or comes out of the underside of the unit and the water drips out of that, as far as I can tell, although the plumber we used a while back supposedly fixed it. He warned the problem might be internal, and expensive.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Monkey Man said:
No, not quite that bad. There's a dodgy seal on one of the pipes that feeds in or comes out of the underside of the unit and the water drips out of that, as far as I can tell, although the plumber we used a while back supposedly fixed it. He warned the problem might be internal, and expensive.

Ah right. Well if you are losing pressure then you definately have a leak somewhere. It may not be the existing leak which would explain why you have only just started losing pressure.

As I say try checking the safety relief pipe which should go from the boiler straight through the wall to outside and terminate there. It will look like an overflow. That is very often a cause of pressure loss if it is dripping.

If you can't find a leak anywhere else on the system then it's looking like the one you already have.

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
Aristons are know for their leaking it only takes a very slight leak to lose the preasure. My bet is you will end up with a nice new condensing boiler :lolol:

Monkey Man

Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I never doubted that NSC would yield such helpful and quick advice. Thanks to everyone for their comments.

I am now off to boil a kettle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here