Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T: One for baseball fans - especially Canadians

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not suprised. They've been getting 8-13,000 for years at Montreal, and the Olympic stadium is shit. No investment, no fans and 35 years of mostly dismal fair. No surprise really.

Besides which, no-one is interested in professional sport in Montreal unless they're called the Habitants/Canadiens.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Incidentally, did the Baltimore Orioles sanction this move? They're probably going to lose fans with a new team 2 hours down the road.

Then again, maybe it's like a Leyton Orient franchise being moved to Shoreham.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Simster said:
Incidentally, did the Baltimore Orioles sanction this move? They're probably going to lose fans with a new team 2 hours down the road.

Then again, maybe it's like a Leyton Orient franchise being moved to Shoreham.

They needed some bribing:

On Tuesday, baseball sources told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark that MLB offered Angelos [owner of the Orioles] two incentives:

Baseball is willing to guarantee that the Orioles will earn a still-to-be-negotiated minimum in annual revenues. If their revenues fall below that figure, MLB would make up the difference.

Baseball also is willing to guarantee a minimum franchise value for the Orioles. So if Angelos attempts to sell the team and can't find a buyer willing to pay that amount, MLB also would make up that difference.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Phew, that's a relief, I was talking to someone the other day who thought that the Blue Jays were moving to DC, found that pretty hard to believe and somewhat disappointing for Toronto.

I went to see the Olympic stadium in Montreal a few years back, as far as I can remember it was a really weird place, I think the roof looked like a large plastic cushion, but my mind may have been playing tricks on me.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Gully said:
Phew, that's a relief, I was talking to someone the other day who thought that the Blue Jays were moving to DC, found that pretty hard to believe and somewhat disappointing for Toronto.

I went to see the Olympic stadium in Montreal a few years back, as far as I can remember it was a really weird place, I think the roof looked like a large plastic cushion, but my mind may have been playing tricks on me.

Your mind is definitely playing tricks on you...the roof wasn't finished in time for the Olympics. It wasn't even finished in time for the next three Olympics either-such is the way of Quebec and its workforce/unions/politicians.

The stadium itself looks like one of those 'Oyster Ice Cream' things which is not unlike a cushion I guess???

Thank goodness it is only the Expos and not the Jays although I suspect they'll be next. Sadly, it's the exchange rate that's killing or seriously hurting Canadian teams. Pay teams in US dollars whilst collecting $CDN at the ticket window=an immediate deficit of 25%. Sadly, the NHL teams are sufering too-all the players want US dollar paycheques-forgetting that they are living and working in Canada.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Well the NHL situation is pretty well f**ked right now anyway as it looks like the new season isn't going to start. :nono:

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
not a surprising move for the expos... be interesting to see how they perform and the crowds they get in washington.

can't really see the jays moving for a good while whatever the money situation maybe.

it'd have to be a middle of the night job like the nfl team whose identity i forget!! :lolol:

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
The Expos were doomed from the players stike. Hell they were looking at going to the 'World Series' and then the whole damn plug was pulled on the playofs. I have never been to a game (Jays) since the players strike. I used to go about 15 - 20 times a year.

As far as the NHL goes it will take a lot for me to drop hockey ... but it is not beyond comprehension. For what a good night out in Toronto and a NHL game costs I can almost get a flight to Gatwick. Might be more cost effective to just go and watch the Albion play once a year instead of the Leafs??

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
driddles said:
The Expos were doomed from the players stike. Hell they were looking at going to the 'World Series' and then the whole damn plug was pulled on the playofs. I have never been to a game (Jays) since the players strike. I used to go about 15 - 20 times a year.

As far as the NHL goes it will take a lot for me to drop hockey ... but it is not beyond comprehension. For what a good night out in Toronto and a NHL game costs I can almost get a flight to Gatwick. Might be more cost effective to just go and watch the Albion play once a year instead of the Leafs??

I used to be able to get Leafs tickets quite easily but then things changed! On my last visit 'home' I couldn't get a ticket for less than a small mortgage:ohmy:

Bring back the Toronto Toros and inject some competition into the Toronto hockey scene

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Actually the 'baby' Leafs are back in Toronto. The farm club has come back this year from Newfoundland. I suspect it will be hard to get farm club tickets if the NHL does not smarten up...

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The Marlies used to be the Leaf's farm team when I were a lad...who are these Newfie infidels of whom you speak?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
driddles said:
St John's Maple Leafs http://www.sjmapleleafs.ca/
Leafs farm club. Actually moving back to Toronto for 2005/2006

I knows that Lannie McDonald comes from them parts but Newfie Leafs don't sound right to me....:jester:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
There is loads of hockey. Junior A is just as much fun to watch once you've 'got behind' the team. And I would pay about $8 a game if I had to pay (which I don't as I'm on the staff).

Come and see the lads play instead of the prima donna NHLers... In one game last season we racked up over 410 minutes in penalties :lolol: :lolol: :shootself

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Juan Albion said:
There is loads of hockey. Junior A is just as much fun to watch once you've 'got behind' the team. And I would pay about $8 a game if I had to pay (which I don't as I'm on the staff).

Come and see the lads play instead of the prima donna NHLers... In one game last season we racked up over 410 minutes in penalties :lolol: :lolol: :shootself

I went to a fight once and a Hockey game broke out:lolol:

Last edited:

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
whats the lastest situ on the hockey? i read nhl.com but don't have sky so can't keep right up to date.

i was reading maybe a january start if they get things sorted??

have put my next trip over on hold... no point coming over with no leafs to watch!! :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here