Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

o/t New Dave Gilmour album

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
NSC music opinions from those that have heard "On an Island" please.

Quick 30 second previews on Itunes sound good but is this album worth downloading or is it gonna be a massive disappointment to a long time Floyd fan? Reviews seem very mixed

Also what is the Mark Knopfler and Emmy Lou Harris song that I have heard people raving about?

Thanks

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yup decided to download it, good mellow stuff that is growing on me

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
15 year old son bought it from Amazon & is playing it too death. He thinks it is quite good. Haven't had a chance to really listen to it though although pretty much like Floyd but without the anti war, anti Thatcher lyrics vis a vis Animals through to the Final Cut.

Whilst Waters was a miserable sod his writing politically out punked the punks, both with the Floyd & since.

Nevertheless it is trademark David Gilmour guitar & organ fills with a touch of the Syd Barrett influence. Lyrically it is pretty light weight.

beeven

Jan 14, 2006
Iver, Bucks
It's a v. good album. The title track, The Blue, Take a Breath and Where We Start are superb tracks.

There's a definite Floyd sound there although some tracks need listening to a few times.

Get it cheaper from www.101cd.com or www.cd-wow.com - both postage paid.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just downloaded it so will give an opinion later..............

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well The Blue sounded Ok now Catellorizon

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not really that good so far on "a Pocketful of Stones".

Kind of cheap Floyd imitation.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its the most dissapointing album of the last several years for me. Gilmour is the finest rock guitarist in the world and so this album is utter gash. where are the searing 4 minute guitar solo's ala Comfortably Numb.

Huge dissapointment, played it once, don;t know if I can be bothered to play it again.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Knopfler/ Emmylou Harris is probably "All the roadrunning." They have a new album out in April & are playing Wembley Arena on Thursday June 8th. Musically it's my life ambition to see Emmylou in concert. Hopefully NMH & I will be there.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
33057 Seagull said:
. Lyrically it is pretty light weight.

Lyrically it defininitely misses Water's cutting edge. More of a late night or lazing by the pool/beach album and in that respect it's very good. Not an album to actually sit and sit and listen to. Background easy listening which is a little disappointing and more in the vein of Meddle and Obscured by clouds. 6/10

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Uncle Spielberg said:
where are the searing 4 minute guitar solo's ala Comfortably Numb.

This is the point....it's NOT Pink Floyd but David Gilmour as a solo artist with other musicians ( Crosby and Nash are the singers on "on an island").

There will always be Floyd undertones but this is a solo album by Gilmour....not Pink Floyd. If you want to listen to Floyd, go and put The Wall or something on and not this album.

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
Has anyone who has bought the album read the sleeve notes?

'Thanks to Neil Warnock' - I know the Floyd used to regularly go to the local football matches when they toured the UK in the 1970s but Sheffield United?

Surely not.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
33057 Seagull said:
Has anyone who has bought the album read the sleeve notes?

That is something that I don't like about downloading music. When you bought a vinyl album you got the sleeve notes and credits re musicians etc. CD's were ok but seldom had the in depth info of LPs. Downloaded music gives you f all info

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
33057 Seagull said:

'Thanks to Neil Warnock' - I know the Floyd used to regularly go to the local football matches when they toured the UK in the 1970s but Sheffield United?

Surely not.

Can't recall the song title but didn't one of the early Floyd albums have a recording of the Kop singing at Liverpool?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I really like " The Blue " it is ace and Gilmour's legendary guitar finally lets rip.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think I may have been a little harsh in my earlier assessment but there is still on second hearing nowhere near enough Gilmour searing guitar solo's for my liking, its a bit motr but pleasant enough, I just think he is showing his age a bit.

I think I will have to put on The Division Bell instead.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
gilmor has no real interest in football(source nick masons book. waters is an armchair gooner)as for sheffield ,its a bit of a trek from west chiltington but if i see him again on the carfax or in tesco's b.brdge heath i will check for a blades sticker in his car

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here