Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Is tax evasion a serious enough offence to go to jail for in this day and age?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Talking at the game today and speculating if Harry Redknapp will go down for his alleged illegal tax dealings?

Or, if found guilty, will it just be a fine and pay the money back?

Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The possibility of jail must be there as a detterant.

Many of those brought to book over tax or benefit fraud will probably have fiddled a whole lot more than has actually be found out. If it just a case of paying some back, if caught, then where's the risk?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I seem to remember George Reynolds (of Darlington fame) spent time in prison for tax evasion. Lestor Piggot also.

A bit rich of Redknapp suing the City of London police for an 'unlawful search'. I bet that £1,000 he got was put to good use.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
No idea but he was out on his ear. lost is knighthood too, something they should have done to my banking namesake.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
Piggot was a classic. the story goes that they warned him a few times to disclose everything then he paid his tax bill with money he had not disclosed. Has Redknapp been found gulty or admitted anything then ?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Piggot was a classic. the story goes that they warned him a few times to disclose everything then he paid his tax bill with money he had not disclosed. Has Redknapp been found gulty or admitted anything then ?

No we were just speculating 'what if' he gets found guilty.

Somewhat ironic if after years of chasing a Champions League place, Spurs will start their campaign with their great leader on D wing.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It is an odd case. The £40k figure appears to be over a period of 3 to 5 years. Why would you risk everything for the sake of £10k pa, unless there is a much larger figure that they are unable to uncover.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Bloody right he should be sent down. Tax evasion is basically stealing from the nation and as tax paying citizens that boils down to Harry stealing from me and you.

Them's the rules and if you don't like it then you can avoid contributing to the nation's coffers by moving overseas. It's quite simple

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here