Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

o/t - Hybrid Bikes

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Again cheers for all the comprehensive advice - I never realised this place was such a hotbed of cycling officianados! Having set myself an upper limit of £350ish it might have to be the old Raleigh Grifter with a pair of Mavics. Seriously though, the Scott Sub 30 is currently heading the field.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Again cheers for all the comprehensive advice - I never realised this place was such a hotbed of cycling officianados! Having set myself an upper limit of £350ish it might have to be the old Raleigh Grifter with a pair of Mavics. Seriously though, the Scott Sub 30 is currently heading the field.

dude, if your work is in the Cycle2work scheme as well you should be all over it !!!

Its a shame you didn't mention this last week mind, Evens at Gatwick had the mother of all clearance sales last week, half price bikes were the order of the day ..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Evans could be giving bikes away free with every orange energy gel and I still wouldn't be happy!.

Cycling threads, up until a few months ago, always seemed to be me, Redland and Woodchip posting, while others threatened us, just like out on the road, lol.

I can't help thinking oil prices and credit crunch is going some way to not only making us poorer but a little bit more healthy, too.

dude, if your work is in the Cycle2work scheme as well you should be all over it !!!

Its a shame you didn't mention this last week mind, Evens at Gatwick had the mother of all clearance sales last week, half price bikes were the order of the day ..

You reckon Evans are going under?

What's that about then?

LC

Reds (et al) ,

bearing in mind your advice a few weeks ago about road bikes, and the fact I can benefit from the cycle 2 work scheme, are there any reasons for not buying the attached?

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=70084

Z1490Q.jpg

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
You reckon Evans are going under?

What's that about then?

LC

I think we will have to wait and see if they do, Ive heard that Evans' new owners have sh*t a brick and are desperately trying to turn round their dire financial situation (£** million debt, the company was sold for less than a 10th of what it was valued last year) The massive warehouse sale they have just had was a good chance for Evans to clear their over stock and get their company back on track, along with some planned store closures, staff redundancies (including some top management) and the end of their in-house brand "Pinnacle" which flopped hard apart from cheap hybrid sales..

Looks a nice bike LC, good price to if you get the sale price on your C2W scheme :thumbsup:

I think we will have to wait and see if they do, Ive heard that Evans' new owners have sh*t a brick and are desperately trying to turn round their dire financial situation (£** million debt, the company was sold for less than a 10th of what it was valued last year) The massive warehouse sale they have just had was a good chance for Evans to clear their over stock and get their company back on track, along with some planned store closures, staff redundancies (including some top management) and the end of their in-house brand "Pinnacle" which flopped hard apart from cheap hybrid sales..

Looks a nice bike LC, good price to if you get the sale price on your C2W scheme :thumbsup:

Cheers mate, shame I didn't see the sale coming.

TBH I've discovered the above on price discount and UI like MAvIS :lolol: wheels:lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Which spesh is that?, although it doesn't really matter as if it fits you well enough it will do the job. Giant and Trek will make similar bikes for the same price.

If you have to buy from Evans through cycle to work, I really do mean it when I say, take it straight to your nearest spesh dealer LBS, (pm me if you don't know who that might be), and explain the situation then ask them to give it a full once over, for you.
I guarentee 1/2 way through the conversation the fella will know exactly why you're there and will be more than happy to do it, for only a few well spent pounds.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

yeah was aware of that one, couldn't get up there unfortunately.

Which spesh is that?, although it doesn't really matter as if it fits you well enough it will do the job. Giant and Trek will make similar bikes for the same price.

If you have to buy from Evans through cycle to work, I really do mean it when I say, take it straight to your nearest spesh dealer LBS, (pm me if you don't know who that might be), and explain the situation then ask them to give it a full once over, for you.
I guarentee 1/2 way through the conversation the fella will know exactly why you're there and will be more than happy to do it, for only a few well spent pounds.

I assume stats you only have Brighton recommends. With our company is must be Evans, though I will double check that one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nope, I can sound out a few trusted people from the cycling forum I use, on your behalf.
Personally I'm a West Sussex man, with no knowledge of Brighton, who has never heard a bad word about In-gear, in Uckfield.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I've got a Specialized Globe Sport -- this year's models are a bit sexier than last year's, which is the one I've got. Pretty light and nippy, too, even considering I've had mudgards and a rack fitted to mine so I can cycle in my work trousers to the supermarket! You'll get one for about £350 -- and Rayment Cycles at the bottom of New England Hill are both a Specialized dealer and a bloody good shop.

If I had unlimited cash I'd get a Specialized Cirrus probably.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I had unlimited cash I'd get a Specialized Cirrus probably.[/QUOTE]

Which would make you a happy boy, indeed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I always forget, while talking about hybrids.
I've had a Carrera Subway, for commuting and pub trips, for 5 years now, and in a minute I will be fixing my 1st puncture.

The same Evans principle aplies to Halfrauds, buy it boxed and take it to an LBS, for them to make.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Absolutely, seriously, stand on me, punch me in the stomach, no word of a lie.

I only got that because I rode over a screw and it went straight in.

I've only ever had 2 on my 'proper' bike (seriously tempting fate here), both due to not having my tyres inflated to their maximum, and thinking I could get away with it. That's just shy of 2,000 miles in 18 months, of riding.

I've got a Specialized Globe Sport -- this year's models are a bit sexier than last year's, which is the one I've got. Pretty light and nippy, too, even considering I've had mudgards and a rack fitted to mine so I can cycle in my work trousers to the supermarket! You'll get one for about £350 -- and Rayment Cycles at the bottom of New England Hill are both a Specialized dealer and a bloody good shop.

If I had unlimited cash I'd get a Specialized Cirrus probably.

here you an absolutely bargain on Gumtree

"Specialized Sirrus 2008 Model (£180)
Date posted: Thursday 3rd July
Up for sale is my Specialized Sirrus. It is a 2008 Model and its silver. It has a XL frame so its not for the smaller riders. Its it perfect working order, all the gears work fine as do the brakes. Im selling the bike as ive just bought a superbike and sadly the Sirrus has been pushed aside. In terms of viewing the bike i can meet you in/close to these locations: Oxford St, Enfield, Bethnal Green.

Sam: 07506 271 336"
:glare:

I'd be VERY suspicious about buying a second hand bike off Gumtree. Specially from someone who wanted to offload it that cheaply.

And the locations, I a member of LCC and at least one cyclist in the last week has reportedly seeing their bike on gumtree the very next day after it was stolen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here