Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Guinness

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
:thumbsup:

They do serve a cracking Guinness in there. It's just up the road from my in-laws and I've had many a pint of Guinness in there with my wifes 90 year old Grandad who drinks Guinness like you wouldn't believe.

really i was the assistant manager in there about 5 years ago

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
really i was the assistant manager in there about 5 years ago

He he, in which case you've probably met Mo / John / Paddy (I don't know why different people know him by different names). His regular is the Weatherspoons in Bexleyheath, but will often sneak up to the Blue Anchor when he hasn't got so long, or can't be bothered to wait for the bus.

The guy is a great advert for the stuff, as it's pretty much all he drinks, and I'd take being as active as him when I'm 90. Always buys himself 2 pints to kick-off, and will be nearing the bottom of the second one before I've got much past halfway through my first. Top fella.

DJB

Jul 31, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Pipes and how it is poured are a big thing. On pouring they should fill about 4/5 of the glass then allow to settle, once settled then should do the last bit.

Also the reason Guinness tastes better in Ireland,is the way the product is managed when it leaves the brewery or distributor. In Ireland, thousands of pints of Guinness are consumed every day, therefore the volume of Guinness coming though an Irish pub is much greater than an equivalent English pub. This means the kegs are changed more often and the lines are cleaned more often.

This equals fresher and better tasting Guinness.

Because less is sold in the equivalent English pub, the stout is lingering in the keg longer, becoming less fresh, giving it that distinctive bitter taste. The Guinness lines in the equivalent English pub would not be maintained as well as the Irish pub either. These factors, plus illiterate bar staff who don't know what they're doing, all contribute to the Guinness tasting bad in England sometimes.

Don't get me wrong, I've had some lovely pints of Guinness UK and I've also had some really, really bad pints in Dublin.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
I'm not an expert, but my understanding was that there used to be a big difference when Guinness was brewed at Park Royal, but now it all comes from the St James Brewery in Dublin.

I had a (few) pints in Dublin a couple of years ago and couldn't tell the difference, so shoot me down!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Absolute myth it is now owned by an American firm Diageo

to note, Diageo is a UK business created from the original Guiness company merging with another.

the answer to the OP is simple. find a pub that sells decent beer and looks after the beer and lines properly. goto the Lord Nelson, Cricketers, or any other harveys, real ale, or just decent pub i know of and you'll find a thick creamy pint. *if* they dont let it settle, bloody well tell them to do so. if one of these isnt immediatly available, goto a Wetherspoons where they at least follow the prescribed instructions for how to care/serve it. they are also likly to be getting through some so the fresh factor comes in. on that note, if all fails, find an irish pub(ie one frequented by old irsh navvies and their decendants) or nearest approximation (ie O'Neils). just dont drink the cold guiness if you are fussy (though frankly, its normally reasonable enough itself)

and paying £4.70 :lolol:

Last edited:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Isn't the biggest Guinness brewery in Lagos? I'm sure the process is heavily mechanised and standardised so the only difference is the water, even then they can burtonise (or equivalent) it ???

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Isn't the biggest Guinness brewery in Lagos? I'm sure the process is heavily mechanised and standardised so the only difference is the water, even then they can burtonise (or equivalent) it ???

Not sure but some places sell Nigerian Guinness, as well as Belgium Guinness both different but both worth a try.

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Well least you have been able to find a decent pint.....I have paid 7 or 8 dollars (5 quid) plus tip for a pint and its been shit. I did find some pretty decent pints in England in various pubs etc but here in Canada it seems almost all are shit....

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester

nigerians drink more guiness than the irish apparently (UK being the biggest consumer) ... I found this quote from Lagos;

“I’m a confirmed Guinness drinker. I’ve drunk Guinness all my life,” says Agibola Williams, 43, who’s never heard of St Patrick’s Day. As he sups a mid-afternoon Guinness in a small outdoor bar he explains his preference. “I like Guinness because it is bitter, it is good for you,” he says, “and it gives you power, especially for sexual intercourse.”

the same article reads that it is quite different in nigeria, served over ice and described as syrup-like.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
He he, in which case you've probably met Mo / John / Paddy (I don't know why different people know him by different names). His regular is the Weatherspoons in Bexleyheath, but will often sneak up to the Blue Anchor when he hasn't got so long, or can't be bothered to wait for the bus.

The guy is a great advert for the stuff, as it's pretty much all he drinks, and I'd take being as active as him when I'm 90. Always buys himself 2 pints to kick-off, and will be nearing the bottom of the second one before I've got much past halfway through my first. Top fella.

I know paddy very well and his sister and Dad there lovely people how mad is that lol.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Nobody seems to pour it correctly in this country. Not only do they not leave it to settle long enough, but once they go to top it up they always pull the pump towards them to do it. This is wrong. Pulling the pump towards you pours the Guinness with the gas, only the first 2/3rds should be pulled this way. Once it's been left to settle for a minute, it should then be topped up by pushing the pump away from you, as this pours just the guiness and cuts the gas. I don't understand how pubs / barmen don't know this. And I don't understand why Guinness allow their product to be pulled wrongly. It's not exactly difficult, all they would need to do is issue each barrel they sell with a pamphlet with instructions on how to pour it, surely? Maybe they already do, I don't know.

I only know this after going to the Guinness factory in Dublin a few weeks ago, as I'm sure loads of others have done, but ever since then I have watched carefully when people pull a pint of it and so far I haven't seen anyone do it right

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I know paddy very well and his sister and Dad there lovely people how mad is that lol.

That wouldn't have been him, as his dad is no longer with us, and his sister is back in Ireland.

I'm sure you've met him though. I may have met you in there myself on a Sunday afternoon. Do you still live in the area, run a pub perhaps?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Guinness now say that all Barrels of Guinness are from St.James's gate now so they should be standardised. In theory, so you get the same Pint in Hong Kong as you do in Dublin. As has been explained above, its more down to how its kept and poured.
Exactly the same with Real Ale.

I dont know how true it is but I was told that Guinness is now flown around the world in 10ltr syrup cartons, similar to post mix coke and pepsi etc and the local water treated chemically to make it the same as Dublin (Liffy Water ??) and then kegged. It make ssense as they could fly 5 pallets load of boxes each containing 40 boxes easier than they could 200 kegs.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
That wouldn't have been him, as his dad is no longer with us, and his sister is back in Ireland.

I'm sure you've met him though. I may have met you in there myself on a Sunday afternoon. Do you still live in the area, run a pub perhaps?

Paddy dad was a small irish fella that wore glasses if i remember rightly, and his sister also fairly small and wears glasses, the last time i see them was my best mates wake in the Blue anchor that was 3 years ago, not sure his dad was there mind.

All they drank was Guinness, i would be amazed if its different people as it totally sounds like them, i have not spoke to them sense the wake, dont speak to anyone from the Blue any more, think its name has even changed recently to the Anchor of Bexley.

I now live in Ashford/Newhaven gave the pub game up after a nasty incident that left me with a broken draw, was done over closing up one night, was in the local paper i believe at the time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
to note, Diageo is a UK business created from the original Guiness company merging with another.

Didnt realize it was a UK company I know they merged/took over the company that made Smirnoff Vodka and Bells whisky amongst others. I am not very up on which companies own what as it appears there are a few major companies who own many others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here