Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Ebay buyer claiming item not received - advice please? :)

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I would e-mail him saying your in London and can deliver a replacement in person - see what he says !!!!!!!! You already have his snail-mail address.

Bet he won't reply.

Then leave him negative feedback for not communicating with the seller properly, explaining that you offered to replace the item.

If you put a sender address on back of packaging, then the item may be returned to you as undelivered.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I send Everything recorded.Soon learnt my lesson after getting stung twice.Trouble is not everyone is as honest as you.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
How do I add people to my blocked buyer list? :) Again, thanks for the brilliant ongoing help - very informative!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Don't give the refund for another week - what if they are genuine? Just apologise for royal mail, and ask them to wait another week and let you know then.

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
First Rule- Don’t Post unless signed for.
In a similar situation I called Ebay and they were very helpful. To get their number go to "Customer Support" top right
In Customer Support type "Phone Contact" In the next window go to "Select Your Topic" You should then see on the right "Call Us"
you will then get a phone number and pin number which lasts 15 mins.
Ensure you have all the information to hand, item number, purchaser i.d. etc
The one I had had previous and was blocked from leaving neg.
Good Luck!

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
First Rule- Don’t Post unless signed for.
In a similar situation I called Ebay and they were very helpful. To get their number go to "Customer Support" top right
In Customer Support type "Phone Contact" In the next window go to "Select Your Topic" You should then see on the right "Call Us"
you will then get a phone number and pin number which lasts 15 mins.
Ensure you have all the information to hand, item number, purchaser i.d. etc
The one I had had previous and was blocked from leaving neg.
Good Luck!

This is brilliant advice.

I did exactly as you said step by step, spoke to a very friendly customer service assistant who checked the item number and went slowly through all the details, understanding everything throughout.

She then said she could see the message he had sent me, and that it constitutes a breach of eBay policy and is basically a threat. Requesting positive feedback in return for a refund is a breach of policy and he could have his account suspended. She said I can see you have enough proof of postage (I sent the buyer a scan of the postage certificate uploaded to tinypic, which she opened and verified!) and that if he leaves a negative feedback to call straight back and they would remove it as there is enough evidence to suggest I am telling the truth.

Lesson learnt though, I'm sending everything recorded now even though it will slash my profits no doubt..

The first rule of don't post unless signed for is nonsense! Most Ebay buyers are genuine and if the item is low value, you are going to blow an awful lot of 70p's. In my case, it would amount to £350 a month in recorded fees - I might have to reaplace 3 or 4, at a total cost of £20 worse case!

As for not giving a refund for another week. if two weeks have passed, Paypal will refund him anyhow, and it will just be on your record that a case had to go to resolution as you could not resolve yourself - this does not look favourably on the seller.

To add someone to your blocked buyer list, simply log in, and then in the 'Alert and to Do's section' there is a 'block bidders' link.

As for the person who said leave neg feedback for the buyer after offering to hand delivery.... Nice idea, but sellers cannot leave neutral or negative feedback - wrong as this may be!

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
This bloke is probably a con-artist, there is nothing you can do - give it 7 days to turn up then issue a refund. If you can be bothered make a claim with the PO. As a seller I hate the way you have to bend over backwards to accomodate con men, luckily they do appear to be quite rare. Report him as a suspicious bidder, e-bay will pretend to investigate and do nothing. On a practical basis you can send more expensive items recorded, for item under £50 send as normal and make a claim if they get lost. I recently had a bad experience and left positive feedback but carefully worded to warn other sellers.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I didn't expect the agent to be so helpful to be honest; I reckon she had a look and he had previous because she said "I'll just go into his account and ahhh" and then said "I think there is enough evidence".

It is amazing how these people must go their lives lying and conning people; have they no conscience? It makes me sad. :nono:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
How do I add people to my blocked buyer list? :) Again, thanks for the brilliant ongoing help - very informative!

Just type into the search box in help 'block bidder' and that will lead you to the blocked bidders page, easy to just add in the buyers name.

Lesson learnt though, I'm sending everything recorded now even though it will slash my profits no doubt..

Recorded 'signed for' costs an extra 70p for UK deliveries, for overseas it is around £4, but I just explain in my listing that everything is 'signed for' and that the bidder should factor in this cost when bidding, shouldn't affect your profits at all.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It's just something about his message, well a couple of things. The post office telling him it 'must be lost' after five working days? Him going about and buying another copy and then e-mailing first thing Monday to ask for a refund? Having private feedback? Seems a bit weird.

Yeh, this stinks of someone trying to get something for nothing.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I always send my items recorded, that way i have followed all of paypal/ebays rules and have proof of signature.

A little while ago I sold something for about £40. sent it recorded, they signed for it and even gave me positive feedback. A week later I got an email saying from paypal saying my buyer has reported fraudulent use of their credit card and new nothing about the purchase, ( even though they had given me positive feedback ). Anyway, paypal froze the amount paid to me while they looked at the case. I did eventually win and kept the money, because I had sent to the buyers confirmed address and also because I had proof of delivery.

Too many con artists out there I am afraid and will try everything.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
It wouldn't put me off buying something if I knew I was paying an extra 70p for recorded delivery, would give a positive impression of the seller in my opinion. Would be worth advertising though before it's sold.

Last edited:

danwa08

Sep 19, 2010
he's bullshitting he's probably playing the game whilst talking to you!!! lol he's a chancer tell him to f*** off!!! and you'll give him negative feedback for lieing, ebays a rip off anyway...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here