Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - Deus Ex Human Revolution

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Not sure if anyone on here is interested in this, but DX:HR is out next Friday and looks like one of, if not the best games on all formats this year or EVER. A beta leak has been available for months showing the first third of the game and it really is a cracker.

Anyway, I had pre-ordered the Collector's Edition for the 360 with the extra stuff elsewhere for £99.99 RRP, when a friend pointed me in the direction of Tesco Entertainment who are doing it for £75 with free delivery for release day. Link here: http://www.tescoentertainment.com/store/games/-deus-ex-human-revolution-collectors-edition/8%3a770403/ which is at least £15 cheaper than the next cheapest option (Amazon). They are also doing the standard edition of the game cheapest anywhere plus an additional 15% off with code 15DEUSEX-1.

Purchase it through Quidco and you'll get 8% cashback on top of that too.

Hope this maybe saves someone, somewhere a little cash :)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thanks for reminding me about this game. Will prob just buy the regular version, but if it's anywhere near as good as the original I'm sure I will LOVE it.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
The original is my favourite game ever (although Mass Effect 2 is only a narrow margin behind) and I can't wait for this.

I do think Batman: Arkham City, Mass Effect 3 and Uncharted 3 will be better though; still, not bad company to be in

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I never played Deus Ex, what's it all about? I have literally NO IDEA but could do with a new game to tide me over until all the big guns are released later this year

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
Just placed an order the normal one, cheers for the heads up. Have some rep. :thumbsup:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
My username gives a clue as to how big a Deus Ex fan I am! according to Steam I've played the original game for 700+ hours and counting - and that doesn't even count the times I've played the game from the disc since 2000! Deus Ex is an incredible game - it is always #1 or thereabouts on all 'all time great games' lists because it is groundbreaking and even with the dodgy graphics and some laughable voice acting, it is the most immersive experience possible in a video game. Here is a brief synopis nabbed from Wiki;

Deus Ex is a cyberpunk-themed action role-playing game developed by Ion Storm Inc. and published by Eidos Interactive in 2000, which combines gameplay elements of first-person shooters with those of role-playing video games. The game received near-universal critical and industry acclaim, including being named "Best PC Game of All Time" in PC Gamer's Top 100 PC Games and in a poll carried out by UK gaming magazine PC Zone. It was a frequent candidate for and winner of Game of the Year awards, drawing praise for its pioneering designs in player choice and multiple narrative paths. It has sold more than 1 million copies, as of April 23, 2009.

Set in a dystopian world during the year 2052, the central plot follows rookie United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition agent JC Denton, as he sets out to combat terrorist forces, which have become increasingly prevalent in a world slipping ever further into chaos. As the plot unfolds, Denton becomes entangled in a deep and ancient conspiracy, encountering organizations such as Majestic 12, the Illuminati, and the Hong Kong Triads throughout his journey.

----------------------------------------------

The sequel "Invisible War" was absolute gash, however, and everyone hated it and has pretended it didn't happen.

The new game DX:Human Revolution (by a different studio) is a prequel and a reboot and - having played the first third of the game - is at least as good as the first third of the original Deus Ex, which I know like the back of my hand. Xbox 360 Official Magazine has already given "Human Revolution" 10/10 and implied it is the best game they have reviewed in the magazine's history.

In short - f***ing excited, so much so that when the release date was finalised earlier in the year I booked it off work to play this game.

Last edited:

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
@Colossal Check the video out, they explain it better but its basically a FPS set in the near future

[yt]hUo1KMrtlCs[/yt]

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm a bit on the fence, I played the original but never past the first level. I really like RPGs, the Witcher series, Fallout series, etc. though is this an Action - RPG or a RPG - Action?

I REALLY REALLY LOVE Alpha Protocol, the action was janky but the RPG elements and the way you change the story and different permutations of the ending were excellent. I enjoyed playing as a sneaky guy but the enforced boss fights wound me up and I've heard that Deus Ex is the same.

I might wait for it to come down in the Winter sales but in all likelihood I'll read something that convinces me I NEED to play it and buy it day before realease to preload on steam.

I bought Bastion on a whim last night, 11.99 on steam. It's a great game, can't believe it was only made by 5 people. The music and art style is fantastic.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I heard Edge magazine gave this a 10 as well, is that true? Those guys rate games very harshly and if they gave it a 10 it must be good!

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I'd recommend giving the original another go first; completing that in a week will force you to get Human Revolution on release day! :) The first level is daunting, but serves as a way of teaching the mechanics of the game and showing you how much choice you have. The danger - and downside - of that is that many gamers felt they'd been chucked in at the deep end and wanted more of a traditional tutorial opening level.. By the time you are in Hong Kong I guarantee you will be fully immersed.. Plus, it has one of the best Cyberpunk inspired soundtracks ever (as does Human Revolution for that matter);

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I heard Edge magazine gave this a 10 as well, is that true? Those guys rate games very harshly and if they gave it a 10 it must be good!

Yep :) I actually know a games journalist who reviews for both Edge and GamesTM and he loved it too, wrote a 99/100 rave review - now he's trying to sell the bloody thing :lol: Eidos Montreal sent him all kinds of free merchandise promoting the game too.. shot glasses, stationary, posters..

Lucky bastard.

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'd recommend giving the original another go first; completing that in a week will force you to get Human Revolution on release day! :) The first level is daunting, but serves as a way of teaching the mechanics of the game and showing you how much choice you have. The danger - and downside - of that is that many gamers felt they'd been chucked in at the deep end and wanted more of a traditional tutorial opening level.. By the time you are in Hong Kong I guarantee you will be fully immersed.. Plus, it has one of the best Cyberpunk inspired soundtracks ever (as does Human Revolution for that matter);

I didn't even need to listen to know exactly what this is and how it goes

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Come to think of it, I might blast my through DX1 this weekend in preparation

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This thread has made me want to go back to the original game one more time....for about the 12th time.

Hard to explain why it's so good to those who've never played. Just has a great atmosphere and a real feeling of freedom to make intelligent decisions in a fully-realised world. Definitely for fans of Mass Effect.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I like the original Mass Effect, the world of ME2 just seems like a sterile bunch of corridors, whilst exploration wasn't that great in ME1 at least you had a sense of scale. Can't wait for ME3 though, just hope the story holds up and they square it off and the reapers are defeated in some feasible way. I have a feeling it will be something ridiculous like a computer virus or something.

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
Been hyped for this for ages, then Official Playstation Magazine gave it a 8/10 a few weeks back in an exclusive review, whilst not a bad score, it kinda left me seriously disapointed. Now the reviews coming out are all 10/10 and 94% etc!

I've got the Augmented edition on pre-order at Shopto for £45, is the Collectors the one with the figure? £30 extra is a lot for an added figure.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
This does sound pretty jackson.

Never played the original, and I don't know that I could now. I have a PS3 and a Mac, neither of which will play it, I don't think.

So perhaps I should just dive right in with this new release.

I've been replaying through Fallout 3 recently, because I've not really got any other games on the go at the moment

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
Got it delivered today, what I have played so far is top notch. Not knowing anything about the older games is not a stumbling block, so far its a shooter with RPG elements to it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here