Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

o/t de-scaling bath taps

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
desprateseagull said:
is there an easy way to do this, without having to get new taps- seems to have gathered a lot of furring, over the years...

(DIY numbskull here.. please be gentle!)

DIY???

Just buy some descaler from the supermarket. Job done.

It's called cleaning, not DIY.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Soak some paper kitchen towels in white vinegar, wrap the towels around the taps covering them, then wrap some plastic carrier bags around the taps with the wet towels on and tie with string or elastic making the whole thing relatively air tight.

Leave for a few hours or overnight.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I recommend:

Get the Mrs to soak some paper kitchen towels in white vinegar, wrap the towels around the taps covering them, then wrap some plastic carrier bags around the taps with the wet towels on and tie with string or elastic making the whole thing relatively air tight.

Make sure she leaves it for a few hours or overnight.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
The product you want is one i use in the trade..........Hagesan Blue, you get it from reputable tile shops and is brilliant on tiles, baths and all chromework.I use it fairly regularly and it does work well.
Hope that helps.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Rangdo said:
I recommend:

Get the Mrs to soak some paper kitchen towels in white vinegar, wrap the towels around the taps covering them, then wrap some plastic carrier bags around the taps with the wet towels on and tie with string or elastic making the whole thing relatively air tight.

:lolol: :lolol:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Rangdo said:
I recommend:

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Rangdo said:
I recommend:

Get youself some Lime Lite Gel, about �2.00 from Homebase or any reputable hardware store, and an old toothbrush. Squeze the gel onto the toothbrush and use this to apply liberally to any limescale around the taps and their spouts. Leave for a few minutes and then repeat. Every now and then flush the taps and apply more gel with the toothbrush. This may take several attempts. Alternatively their is a very good Barkeepers Friend product that will do the job, available in Covers.

That will cure the visible limescale. Now remove the taps from the valves and clean around them. You may find that the valves are so scaled/worn that they should be replaced. If you now clean your teeth with the toothbrush, you wont have to visit the hygenist for another 6 months :D

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Buy new ones. They're not hard to fit. Damn cheapskates.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here