Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Cuba

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'm sure the good folk of NSC can provide an opionion of their experience of a recent holiday in Cuba. I know several years ago it was often reported as a building site - but what's it like now? Any feedback on Guardalavaca would be particulary appreciated.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I was there about six years ago and thought it was a superb place. Havana is without a doubt the greatest city I have ever visited and I'd recommend it to anyone. I'm afraid I didn't go to Guardalavaca but I'd certainly be interested to know what the experience is like now with Castro's influence on the wain

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We did 2 weeks there - beachy chill out at Varadero sandwiching some time in Havana. Fab place.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been twice. Once did two weeks in Havana and the little town of Trinidad. Second time I backpacked around the whole island with London Calling for 3 weeks. We had some of the most amazing adventures, including sitting in the driver's cabin and then eventually getting to drive the Santa-Clara - Santiago Express train and also getting caught up in some anti-US rally and having a speech read out.

Happy days.

Gafones

Jul 28, 2009
Brighton
1999, Guardalavaca (Las Brisas) and La Habana. Fantastic time, great people but don't expect to do any shopping! Don't fly Cubana if you can avoid it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
If you are going to make an effort to go all that way then I would avoid a resort and roam free. I spent 5 to 6 weeks there and saw a fair bit of the island. Many experiences I would not have..er...experienced if I had been locked away in a resort.

Having said that, I haven't any experience of resorts out there and they might be jolly good fun.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I stayed at the melia cayo coco which is a small island 20km north of cuba:thumbsup:I would recommend this awsome place and if you see this barman say hello:lolol:

I gave him my best jeans as jeans are 3 months wages for them.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Photo23_20A.jpg
    Photo23_20A.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Photo04_1.jpg
    Photo04_1.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Photo10_7.jpg
    Photo10_7.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Photo11_8.jpg
    Photo11_8.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 106

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Went to Guardalavaca and didn't like it all that much.

Advice I heard was that the Havana end of the island was a better bet.

For me, Dom Rep was better by miles.

How long ago was it you went?
What sort of group were you in, lads, partner, family [how old were the kids]?
Anything specific to avoid?

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
How long ago was it you went?
What sort of group were you in, lads, partner, family [how old were the kids]?
Anything specific to avoid?

Went with a group of friends (mixed) about 3 years ago. Place was ok but just too remote. Was all inclusive but nowhere else to go. We had booked to go to Cancun but there was that hurricane so we had to quickly choose somewhere else.

If you're looking for a quiet family or couples holiday it'd probably be fine.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Fantastic place. Avoid the purpose-built resorts - you may as well go to Majorca.

Also avoid state-run establishments - people let their houses out to get hold of foreign currency - so you're helping the locals and they are very hospitable. Also there are privately run restaurants where you get really good food... as opposed to the state run places which are pretty bad.

Street pizzas are good too (cheap but not at all sophisticated.)

I went on a tour with GAP - had a great group - favourite city was Santiago.

Go and enjoy it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I have got an address of a residential house in Habana, if you are keen. The family made me feel like a long lost son. It is well placed, about a 15 minute walk from the Capitolio and not far from the coast. I shall try and dig it out. They continually made me coffee and cooked amazing dishes for me.

I took the train to Baracoa which was a truly fantastic experience (via a brief stay in Santiago) and you got to see a great deal of the country. It was a long trek, but well worth it.

Vinales is another place that I throughly enjoyed. Again, staying in someones house. They cooked me food and entertained me. Hooked up with a few other gringoes I met and spent the evenings smoking cigars, dancing and drinking rum. There is the potential to hire mopeds in Vinales and it is certainly good to get around.

Isla de Junventud was a fascinating place - plenty to see and some glorious coastline.

All the women seem to be lycra clad and the Peso Pizzas are phenomenal.

Havana is definitely the sort of place you could lose days in, just wandering about. 80,000 buildings need to be torn down as they are deemed unsafe, but it's antiquated charm is mesmerising.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Guardalavaca I thought was pretty ok for a lazy beach holiday. As with anywhere you can go exploring which is what I did & went off in a jeep for about 5 days driving down to Baracoa which is an experience. Drove around that end of the Island for a few days & found it a liberating experience. recommended.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Thanks for your feedback fellas. Sounds like I'm on to a winner. No reports of feeling threatened or any muggings. Not much mention of whether it's cheap or expensive - I read somewhere [else] that you can horse-ride on the beach for 39 pesos which seems to translate to about 2 quid - so sounds cheap. Are things like jeep hire and eating out cheap?

I'd specifically not mentioned I'm going with Mrs and 2 teenage daughters [one id horse-mad] and was keen not to hear stories like the hassle you can sometimes get - e.g. in North Africa.

Departure 21-Jul - bring it on ....
Will I be able to wear an England "World cup winners 2010" shirt by then I wonder?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Two Uni friends went on a seperate trip and they got hassled on a few seperate occasions, including some nutter masturbating in front on them on the beach. However, I am close to 5 or 6 other people that have roamed free through out the country and they never came across any problems. However, with countries like Cuba, gringo women are going to attract attention.

I never really felt threatened in Habana. There was quite a large police presence. Some chap tried to sell me a trip around the city for $10 and he was promptly arrested. The police explained that doctors can get paid something like $40 - $50 a week, whereas this guy is trying to make $10 in half an hour.

Horse mad could be a bit of a problem. More often than not the horse and carts are led by horses in a poor state. They literally work them into the ground :(

From what I remember it was very cheap. Travel, food and Rum. However, it does vary across the capital and country as a whole. There did seem to be a vast range of very reasonable restaurants in Havana. It was about 7 years ago now, but I never gasped at the prices and I was on a tight budget being a student.

Definitely try and find a place with some live music.

Actually, thinking about it, you would do well to contact 'Clapham Old Mug' on here. I seem to remember reading that he part owned a hotel in Havana, so he is bound to have up to date and invaluable information.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here