Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

o/t comp help think i got a virus

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
this is doing my head in. couple weeks ago my internet explorer slowed down to almost a complete standstill. when i wasnt connected to he internet it seemed to behave ok. so i presumed i had a worm that had got through my norton av 2002. so spoke to few people and tried loads different virus scanners but none of them found anything. ive now backed up all my files and am preparing to reinstall windows from scratch but really dont wanna do that as ive never done it b4 and i really could do without losing all the stuuf ive backed up.

the only clue i can give someone who may read this is that i think its something to do with what i see on task manager. i think i know most of what the processes running are on it. apart from symproxysvc.exe . when connected to the internet this is always hogging the cpu resources often up to 99. if i delete it regfilter.exe seems to kick in and symproxy starts again. i know this may be a normal windows file but its the only thing which takes up the cpu.

well thats me done , if anyone can help that would be cool

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
top man
:drink: for you

cheers timco

mind you i havent sorted it yet

i never ringing those twats at pc world again, f***ing rip off , they know less than i do:dunce:

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
are U on XP? or Windose ME?

If so use system restore to go back to a point before Symantec screwed up the system.

Then use intelligent updater http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html too update the system not live update.

This seems a simple solution too me, no idea if it can work mind as I have no idea when the systenm was stuffed up.

Last edited:

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Yoda said:
Just don't let it do what one did to mine!

In the end had over 2000 infected files. :dunce:

There is never any excuse for getting infected with a virus if you follow simple rules. (and Dannyboy's problem is not a virus its the side effects of protecting against a virus when those providing protection get it wrong.)

Rule 1 Use up to date virus protection
rule 2 use a firewall (not the one that comes with W XP its a bit like using a paper condom)
rule 3 use spy wear protection
rule 4 occasionally check with back ups like stinger
rule 5 use pop up protection

All the above are available free on the net.

Last edited:

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
it seems all sorted now

i was running nav 2002 but thinking about getting rid and using avast all the time, ive also got avg stinger and solo which i know find stuff that nav doesnt what do you reckon?

do you reckon i should ditch norton firewall 2002 too?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here