Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T: Clutch Master/Slave Cylinder Replacement Cost?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes apparently the gearbox/clutch needs to be removed, will be a whole day of labour involved.

hence £450, thats 7 hours at £60p/h plus a part.

The Mr clutch website are quoting £260 for a clutch replacement. Although this isn't what's wrong, just the clutch slave cylinder.

it may require a clutch replacment, like brakes you dont just replace discs, you do disc and pad and on both sides.

i dont know modern cars and clutchs that well though, surprised it would be a day job, seen engines swapped in minutes (VW beetles) and a clutch cant be more than an hour once the lump is out the way.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
hence £450, thats 7 hours at £60p/h plus a part.

it may require a clutch replacment, like brakes you dont just replace discs, you do disc and pad and on both sides.

i dont know modern cars and clutchs that well though, surprised it would be a day job, seen engines swapped in minutes (VW beetles) and a clutch cant be more than an hour once the lump is out the way.

The thing is we have been quoted (in person) £900 and £450 for a clutch and clutch slave cylinder replacement.

Then we have been quoted (online) £260 for a clutch replacement (mrclutch) and £120 for a clutch slave cylinder replacement (which apparently takes up to 2 hours, with clickmechanic).

I can't see how it should cost more than £350 for both to be replaced (a clutch slave cylinder seems to cost ~£50).

Seems like there is a lot of potential for being ripped off/taken advantage of!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Seems like there is a lot of potential for being ripped off/taken advantage of!

definatly, but the joy of the internet is you can avoid that rip off hopefully.

bognor gull

Feb 1, 2012
sunny bognor
Give me your whole reg number & I'll give you a price on it. I'm almost certain that this vehicle will have a dual mass flywheel. The 1st garage that you had price it up, has more than likely called their suppliers, & been told it's a 4 piece kit. The concentric slave cylinder that is probably faulty is a gearbox removal job. Renault's are notorious for lengthy labour times. Off the top of my head, it's approximately 9 hours to remove & install this cylinder. Multiply 9 x £60, that's your labour cost. A concentric slave for a Clio is approximately £100. A 4 piece kit is around about £450.
Have just the cylinder replaced at your peril, cos if it doesn't work, you'll then have the labour to pay again.
I speak with much knowledge about your problem as I have 30 years & more in this trade & also own a garage.
I would offer to do this for you, but from my location, it would be tricky.
Good luck

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Pretty sure it's a concentric slave so box out to replace. Chances are it's shit itself and most likely contaminated the clutch, if you're doing the clutch 95% of the time the dual mass flywheel will need replacing if it has one fitted.

Sounds like the more expensive quote is quoting worst case, the cheaper is quoting best case.

Unfortunately until it's stripped down there's no way to find out what has failed.

I can easily supply you the parts but you still need someone to actually do the job.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Give me your whole reg number & I'll give you a price on it. I'm almost certain that this vehicle will have a dual mass flywheel. The 1st garage that you had price it up, has more than likely called their suppliers, & been told it's a 4 piece kit. The concentric slave cylinder that is probably faulty is a gearbox removal job. Renault's are notorious for lengthy labour times. Off the top of my head, it's approximately 9 hours to remove & install this cylinder. Multiply 9 x £60, that's your labour cost. A concentric slave for a Clio is approximately £100. A 4 piece kit is around about £450.
Have just the cylinder replaced at your peril, cos if it doesn't work, you'll then have the labour to pay again.
I speak with much knowledge about your problem as I have 30 years & more in this trade & also own a garage.
I would offer to do this for you, but from my location, it would be tricky.
Good luck

Thanks, if you could give an idea of what the price would based on the registration be that would be great.

The registration is YY59 OCV.

Apparently the flywheel is ok and doesn't need doing?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
For all of you on tenterhooks waiting to hear what happened we managed to get the car fixed for £390 with My Clutch in Crawley!

That included a new clutch and concentric slave cylinder, as well as new engine oil and servicing the flywheel (no replacing it though).

Quite how more than one garage can quote £900 (more than twice what we paid) for the same thing (actually less, just to replace the clutch and slave cylinder) is shocking.

IMO garages should not be allowed to do this, it’s close to conning people. Those quoting £900 must have known it can be done for less than half the price, there should be some kind of guidelines in place to stop people being absolutely conned and ripped off like this.

D

Deleted member 2719

For all of you on tenterhooks waiting to hear what happened we managed to get the car fixed for £390 with My Clutch in Crawley!

That included a new clutch and concentric slave cylinder, as well as new engine oil and servicing the flywheel (no replacing it though).

Quite how more than one garage can quote £900 (more than twice what we paid) for the same thing (actually less, just to replace the clutch and slave cylinder) is shocking.

IMO garages should not be allowed to do this, it’s close to conning people. Those quoting £900 must have known it can be done for less than half the price, there should be some kind of guidelines in place to stop people being absolutely conned and ripped off like this.

Pleased that you feel you have got a good deal and I hope you have.
To be fair to garages though there are so many variables when it comes to quoting for a job like:

Did they give you a warranty,
What quality of parts did they use,
Were they new parts,
What overheads does the garage have,

I don't know the current price because all vehicles vary, but I would say if you got three prices, comparing apples with apples, if 2 were £900ish and one was £390 that just maybe cheap for a reason. The roulette wheel may have just been spun, good luck I hope you have got evens!

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Mr clutch are notorious for using the very cheapest parts on the market, think Euro Car Parts but cheaper.
Did they say what servicing a Flywheel consisted of ? It's a new one on me !

And this is how they get out of warranty claims.

3. The warranty becomes void If:
clutch adjustments are not carried out by a Mr Clutch Autocentre at 500, 3,000, 6,000, 12,000 miles.

Not many cars have clutches that need or can be adjusted these days, but we had this exact scenario with a customer last month, who came to us after Mr Clutch refused to honour the warranty because it hadn't been "adjusted"
Turns out the clutch plate had literally disintegrated and was lying in clumps at the bottom of the bell housing.

D

Deleted member 2719

Mr clutch are notorious for using the very cheapest parts on the market, think Euro Car Parts but cheaper.
Did they say what servicing a Flywheel consisted of ? It's a new one on me !

And this is how they get out of warranty claims.

3. The warranty becomes void If:
clutch adjustments are not carried out by a Mr Clutch Autocentre at 500, 3,000, 6,000, 12,000 miles.

Not many cars have clutches that need or can be adjusted these days, but we had this exact scenario with a customer last month, who came to us after Mr Clutch refused to honour the warranty because it hadn't been "adjusted"
Turns out the clutch plate had literally disintegrated and was lying in clumps at the bottom of the bell housing.

Exactly this, beware of extra cheap quotes, it's cheap for a reason NSC.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
google Clickmechanic - will give you a free quote of what it should cost according to manufacturers schedules.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here