Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Classical music post your favourite

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
as with everything I couldn't nail down my favourite. It changes all the time. Currently I really love this by Max Richter

[yt]84yBioZZwf4[/yt]

and this by Goldmund

[yt]hIXIiQ0wiWA[/yt]

Both modern classical pieces

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
...and turn this up loud, turn the lights down low, close your eyes and enjoy. I'd like to call it haunting but that's just a cliche and this piece is anything but.

[yt]_j3CSH_ZsTM[/yt]

(stick with it. It's a slow burner and really kicks in after 2 mins)

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The only classical CD I ever bought (ex collections) and saw this performed at the Proms three years ago

[yt]kdtLuyWuPDs?fs=1[/yt]

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Those I have sung:

Requiem Mozart
Save Him for Cherishing - Howells
Requiem - Faure ( Sublime piece)
E lucevan Estelle - Puccini
( Learning at the moment ) Carmina Burana - karl Orff
The Coventry Carol

those I enjoy listening to

The lark Ascending - Vaughan Williams
Mozart Quintet for Piano, Oboe etc
Any Chopin!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
as with everything I couldn't nail down my favourite. It changes all the time. Currently I really love this by Max Richter
Both modern classical pieces

Blimey, I never expected Max Richter to be mentioned on NSC. He's a particular fave of mine. We play him a lot at bedtime when we're trying to get the kids to calm down, they find him very soothing.

I listen to more classical music than anything else so I like too many pieces to mention but I listen to Bach every day. Like Organ Morgan, it's Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me. "Johann Sebastian mighty Bach. Oh, Bach fach"

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am also a Bach fan, however when you sing Bach, he is very unforgiving of Tenors....I have sung St matthews passion and St John's passion as well as his Christmas Oratorio and I am sure he didn't like Tenors....you have to sit on a spike to sing some of his top lines!!!

This is truly sublime and has a fab Tenor line

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
What an impossible question!

I guess, given one disc (actually it is 2!) to listen to for the rest of my days, it would be Bach's Mass in B minor (BWV 232), probably the second recording (1980) with Eugan Jochum conducting the Bayerischer Rundfunk Symphony Orchestra and Choir.

Then again, on another day, it could be Holst's Choral Hymns from the Rig Veda...

or for sentimental reasons any decent recording of hymns played by a brass band; assorted bit of Handel's Messiah, English church music by Howells, Leighton, Vaughan-Williams; or many decent bits of organ music. As I said, impossible!

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
It really does depend on where and when, but if pushed to name one: Wagner, Tristan & Isolde, Liebestod.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
There's a wealth of classical music outside of the Western tradition too.

Here's an amazing piece from Mali. This particular piece would have been originally composed and played for the royal court and it dates back to the 13th century. It's a contemporary reworking here of course, but if it isn't essentially classical then I don't know what is.

[yt]rROuyJiBauQ[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here