Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

o/t car trouble

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
BrightonBird said:
yep sorry, didn't explain properly.

My car wouldn't start one day after work. That was the altenator. Since then, it cuts out when I am driving every now and then. It seems to stop more when my lights are on.

Ahhh now that makes more sense!

What has happend is your battery has run down because your alterator wasn't charging your battery when you were driving.

The 'mechanic' has fitted a 'new' alternator so solve this problem and has, in the process, f**ked up your electrics thus causing your car to cut out.

My advise is to take it back to the same mechanic and tell him the fix the electrics!

If you have a catelitic converter this cutting out may be doing it some damage as the only way to restart is to bump the engine. This is not a good thing to do with a cat.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Probably the ignition module or the coil pack, had a Saxo once and had the same problem and that was a new coil pack needeed.

Sounds like your loosing the spark though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Some years ago had the same problem and it was the condensor. Do modern cars have condensors and points etc in a distributor? My limited knowledge tells me it wouldnt be the alternator but more likely a dead cell in the battery but even then once started it should keep running until you put the lights, cd and hairdryer on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here