Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

o/t car trouble

Can anyone help?

My car keeps on cutting out when I am driving and it happened again today about 5 times.

I went to my mechanic and he said that it was the altenator (excuse spelling). Got me a new one and all was well for a couple of weeks. The last few days however, it has started again and I've had to drive really slow on the way to work. I can't get to my mechanic until next week as he is on holiday but I don't know if I should drive home as it is going to be un-safe.

Ahhhhh........

Does anyone know anything about cars? And what the problem is?

Many Thanks,

BB:)

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
The alternator has gone at the moment on my car, and make a real squeeling noise though it doesnt cut out.

Dont know much about cars but it may be the HT leads.

Out of intrest how much did you alternator cost just to see if your mechanic is a cowboy?

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
Hmmm, My new one is costing 120 +VAT. but I spose it depend on what car you drive.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
My advice,go to another mechanic, there are so many things and it depends on the type of car. SOunds like an ignition fault but there may be a fault in the engine management system.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
watsongooal said:
The alternator has gone at the moment on my car, and make a real squeeling noise though it doesnt cut out.

Dont know much about cars but it may be the HT leads.

Out of intrest how much did you alternator cost just to see if your mechanic is a cowboy?

The squeeling noise sounds more like a loose fan belt than anything else.

BrightonBird have you had the spark plugs replaced recently. It could be missing when firing. Obviously as someone says it depends on the model and age of your car.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Re: Re: o/t car trouble

Trigger said:
Women drivers :nono:

:lolol:

You didn't say that when I gave you a lift from Waterhall :p

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
My car used to cut out (and it was new) turned out to be an "electrical problem" sorted now and now problem!

I'm not sure spark plugs are used once your engine is running?

I also don't see how an altenator can cause a car to cut out? It may cause a car not to start as it is not charging the battery properly?

If you go to a none cowboy mechanic they will hook your car up to a computer type thingy which are pretty good at spotting the cause of electric problems.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
watsongooal said:
The squealing noise is almost certainly the fan belt. Might not necessarily be loose, sometimes its just when they get damp. Mine squeals like a stuck irish pig when its damp in the winter for the first 5 mins or so, or if I drive through a big puddle.

Bloody hell you guys - course I know how to drive - I did pass my test. Yes I know how to change gears, etc. Do you?:lolol:

I have a perg 205, J reg. Quite old but in good nick. I'll try and drive it home tonight but it looks like the bus for me :(

Lammy said:
I also don't see how an altenator can cause a car to cut out? It may cause a car not to start as it is not charging the battery properly?

yep sorry, didn't explain properly.

My car wouldn't start one day after work. That was the altenator. Since then, it cuts out when I am driving every now and then. It seems to stop more when my lights are on.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Does it have one of the convenient handbag hangers on the dashboard (a.k.a. a manual choke)?

If so, could I suggest you leave it pushed in, and put your handbag on the seat next to you ??

:lolol:

Very funny Titanic.

Actually, I fell asleep at the wheel last year and had a bad accident. The car caught on fire and the only thing I cared about was going back for my handbag. Wasn't funny at the time though:p

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Are you taking all the power from the battery to work your hairdryer, curling iron etc etc?

CAFC Matt

Jul 27, 2003
Woodindean
Now you see I am sorted for Mechanic bills, Mate form college doing a apprenticeship at Skoda :lolol: so if he does all my work (well my dads car) on Saturdays and I help him it costs me nothing :p

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Easy 10 said:
The squealing noise is almost certainly the fan belt. Might not necessarily be loose, sometimes its just when they get damp. Mine squeals like a stuck irish pig when its damp in the winter for the first 5 mins or so, or if I drive through a big puddle.

That's exactly the same as mine, which is why I know what it is.

Chappers, shut up :p

Manual choke? My car is a K reg and has automatic choke. Do keep up :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here