Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Boy in the striped pyjamas last night BBC 2

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Really? I didn't think that...

Aye - it is classified as Teenage/Young Adult and it was advertised as that when it was published (I own 2 bookshops). Which is what made the ending so shocking as we didn't think a teenagers book would end like that!!

Edit: And it is published by Random House Children's Books

Last edited:

Mark24

Mar 1, 2010
Hove
Very moving and well made film - and the habitual dozing off in front of the telly at 10.30 most certainly did not occur last night...

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No ones persons life is worth anymore or less than the next. The Nazi father got that lesson well and truely at the end. Apart from the end it was a pretty sanitised view of the Nazi killing machine however and that sublety made the end all the more shocking for some I would think. A well meaning film I would say without being near a masterpiece.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Apart from the end it was a pretty sanitised view of the Nazi killing machine however and that sublety made the end all the more shocking for some I would think.

That's the entire point of the film.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
No ones persons life is worth anymore or less than the next. The Nazi father got that lesson well and truely at the end. Apart from the end it was a pretty sanitised view of the Nazi killing machine however and that sublety made the end all the more shocking for some I would think. A well meaning film I would say without being near a masterpiece.

I concur.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
We watched it without reading the book, but we knew that the story was written for the teenage market, so we were genuinely shocked and upset by the ending. There are not many films that have done that.

I saw it in a cinema when it came out. A woman had taken her ten year old daughter and her friend as a treat. They left in pieces at the end.

Won't forget the Holocaust though!!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here