Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T best place to buy Microsoft Office?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

I've looked on Ebay, there seems to be a lot that come with a licence to load onto two computers. I thought it came with a licence for three, but maybe these have already been loaded onto one?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Does it have to be Microsoft?

Open Office is very good. And free (legitimately).

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Indeed, unless you specifically need MS office, Open office is an excellent free alternative.

For a PC.

And yes it does need to be Microsoft Office. It's for business and we already use it in the office here but we can't load onto any more machines. I need a copy for my new laptop and then I would also load onto two new PC's when I open our next office.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Indeed, unless you specifically need MS office, Open office is an excellent free alternative.

Spot on, why pay? , OpenOffice is excellent

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
For a PC.

And yes it does need to be Microsoft Office. It's for business and we already use it in the office here but we can't load onto any more machines. I need a copy for my new laptop and then I would also load onto two new PC's when I open our next office.

But OpenOffice can open and save in Word and Excel format. Do yourself a favour and save your company £££s

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

The Grauniad doesn't seem too impressed with open office.

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,16376,1660763,00.html

I downloaded it a year or so to have a look and didn't get on with it. I can't remember why not and no doubt it was more about me and my patience than anything to do with OO.

To be honest, I can't be arsed to mess around with something new, I'd sooner stick to what I know and use elsewhere.

Yes I know Microsoft Office will cost but that is less of a consideration than convenience and having the same software on all our machines - I can get the VAT back and also offset the cost against tax.

But I'd still like to buy it as cheaply as I can but i want a kosher copy, not something off Ebay that has had one (possibly) careful owner!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
The Grauniad doesn't seem too impressed with open office.

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,16376,1660763,00.html

I downloaded it a year or so to have a look and didn't get on with it. I can't remember why not and no doubt it was more about me and my patience than anything to do with OO.

To be honest, I can't be arsed to mess around with something new, I'd sooner stick to what I know and use elsewhere.

Yes I know Microsoft Office will cost but that is less of a consideration than convenience and having the same software on all our machines - I can get the VAT back and also offset the cost against tax.

But I'd still like to buy it as cheaply as I can but i want a kosher copy, not something off Ebay that has had one (possibly) careful owner!

It can be a bit fiddly initially because you're programmed to work the microsoft way, but if you can spend a little time on it, you'll save yourself a stack load!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sell your PC and buy a Mac

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
For a PC.

Then it's a company expense that would cost you, personally, NADA, if you bought it proper-like in a shop. You could claim the money back and you'd be able to claim the VAT or Cadiz-equivalent back - as you doubtless know full well.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
And pay 4 times as much for Office as well as 2x as much for the machine (which is a PC, by the way)? Erm, that wouldn't be particularly sensible in this situation

Is their not a way now to run osx native on a pc, by buying near enough the same motherboard and processor found on a mac.

And yes you do pay 4 times as much. Apple really do rip people off. The Mac Pro Pro costs £1,700 how do they come to these prices?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here