Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Barcombe Mills

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
In my childhood many a Sunday afternoon was spent on the boats at Barcombe Mills and having a picnic amongst the old mill stones next to the boat house afterwards. I remember us driving through a farm and up a rutted track to get to the boathouse, and that the picnic area was always covered in cow pats.

Does anyone know if this area is still accessible? I've googled "Barcombe Mills" but this just links to the Anchor Inn.

In my childhood many a Sunday afternoon was spent on the boats at Barcombe Mills and having a picnic amongst the old mill stones next to the boat house afterwards. I remember us driving through a farm and up a rutted track to get to the boathouse, and that the picnic area was always covered in cow pats.

Does anyone know if this area is still accessible? I've googled "Barcombe Mills" but this just links to the Anchor Inn.

No idea.

But you've just made me all nostalgic, boats up the river, picnics on the banks, did you ever make it as far as the weir?

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath

Yes, unless something has changed quite recently.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
:)

NBM1.jpg

NBM2.jpg

ANCH2.jpg

ANCH4.jpg

Pumba04

Jan 27, 2011
Burgess Hill
I am afraid 'Browns' boatyard closed quite a few years ago (approx 20 off the top of my head) Shame really as people still turn up today asking for the place where you can hire boats to go up river. My office is at the old farm and almost every other day (when the weather is good) people walk up and down looking for the 'place to hire boats'

The Anglers rest pub closed just a few years after too, no doubt the lack of people going up and down the Ouse past their front door had something to do with it..

The public footpath is still there and you can walk past the old Browns yard and onto the Anchor, there is a proper car park at Barcombe mills now (well they have laid down some rubble in the field)

You can hire boats from the Anchor but you can only go north towards Isfield due to the weir.

Hope that helps.

Kendo3

Jul 26, 2004
Uckfield
Yes, unless something has changed quite recently.

I know exactly where you mean, you drive into the Mills area up beside the old house, through a farmyard along the bumpy track and you then got to the house that rented out the boats, this was old Mr Brown (Brownie) I went there as a child and into early adulthood as my dad grew up in that area and knew said Brownie, a typical old farmer type, round in figure, flat cap and bailer twine for a belt. The wife ran an little tea room, homemade cakes etal and sweets for the children Unfortunately due to old age vandelism etc. the family stopped renting them out. Subsiquently the bushes along side the river were allowed to overgrow making it difficult to paddle along that stretch of the river. It was a nice little place, tucked away uncomercial, not many people knew about it so not to busy. The only place left I believe is the Anchor, which is the opposite.

I hope that has revived your memory.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
I almost thought I had imagined going to this place when I was a kid and have the same fond memories. I was thinking a trip would have to be taken next summer, so gutted to hear it's no longer there. May try the Anchor Pub instead.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I'd avoid the Anchor if planning on going up that way, it was taken over around 2009 by someone who seems to have taken customer service lessons from Robert Mugabe. Since then they've been at war with anyone who dares to bring their own boat to use on the river, or picnic to have on any of the riverbanks nearby. They've also banned dogs from entering the premises. Use the Flying Fish in Isfield a few miles to the north.

Sibroadway

SEAGULL Till I Die !!!!!
Jan 16, 2010
Brighton
I'm a Barcombe Boy and yes the area is still there for you to explore if you so wish to

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
We used to go there a lot. Totally pararlytic. They were great times. Never bettered. Browns boatyard closed, so we went boating at the anchor, but never managed to get so drunk. They used to have loads of classic cars at The Anchor, especially Jaguars. The owner had a stunning red convertable E Type and the Jaguar owners club used to meet there. I went there a few months ago for nostalga and it was awful, I stayed only for a matter of minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here