Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T APPLE MAC - OS X Lion

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've read reports of Lion zipping along on older hardware faster than Snow Leopard, but if I was happy with what I've got and would have to buy two upgrades, I'd probably stay where I was.

May wait a bit. My principle application is Vectorworks, and when upgrading to Leopard, VW11 would nolonger work (well it ran but went crazy with guideline grids) and I had to upgrade to VW12 as well, which was an expensive pain.

I assume Lion lets you create a bootable startup disk after you've installed it given it's a download?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
The new 'Natural' scroll on the touchpad will take a little getting used to, as it's the opposite to what it was before (but the same as on the iPad). I know I can revert back, but I want to get used to it.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
So is this a new OS, or an update? The website doesn't really explain if it actually does anything different, just a few extras?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So is this a new OS, or an update? The website doesn't really explain if it actually does anything different, just a few extras?

Think of it was going from Windows Vista to Windows 7 or similar

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Apple claim 250 new changes over sl

And a lot of those are either of no use to you (Korean language support), are things that other operating systems have had for years (full screen, anyone?), or frankly are just there to make up the list up to 250 (slightly nicer looking mouse pointer, more desktop pictures).

AirDrop is superb, though.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
And a lot of those are either of no use to you (Korean language support), are things that other operating systems have had for years (full screen, anyone?), or frankly are just there to make up the list up to 250 (slightly nicer looking mouse pointer, more desktop pictures).

Quite, and for £47 to upgrade from Leopard, it's not particulalry cheap.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
If you are on old hardware or still on Leopard, I'd prob avoid it

i've completed the double upgrade from leopard and imho it's worth it. irons out lots of the small wrinkles with iphoto and itunes and it does seem to work quicker all round (on my 2009 imac and ibook). scanner and printer drivers need to be reinstalled and then launched through image cature, but that took ten minutes. all round, it's a yes from me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here