Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T An interesting question - or maybe not?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Thanks for that. :)

Dandyman

In London village.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not entirely (Dandyman is thinking of Dr Richard Russell), but the point is well taken.

It may have STARTED with Dr Russell, but I don't think he can be held responsible for say, its louche reputation, its cultural and artistic diversity, its hectic nightlife, nor indeed Brighton & Hove Albion. :ascarf:

BTW Rambo: Sussex Stationers is probably your best best for Brave New City.

Last edited:

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
The Large One said:
Western Road, incidentally, was named after the landowners, the Western family - it's just a coincidence that it runs in an east-west direction.

So what about Eastern Road??

bhaexpress said:
Okay ... So where does Ship Street fit into all this ?

Ship street leads to the Ship Hotel.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
afaik, kings road (from old steine r/bout) to west street wasnt there originally - the sea came up to where the shops are now...

when the royal albion had their fire, the fire engines had to be spread out, as road not strong enough to have such weight in one area...?

pool valley was where the underwater streams (london road &
lewes road) came into the sea...

the 'lanes' area was the old 'town', before it spread out.

there may still be photos on show at brighton museum - worth a look!

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
The Large One said:
I have an fascinating book on the history of local anoraks.:lol:

I worked with Dr Anthony Seldon, headmaster of Brighton College, on his book Brave New City - The Past, Present and Future of Brighton & Hove. It's an excellent tome recounting Brighton's past social and political structure, how Brighton fares now, and some far-reaching ideas for the future - including more high towers, an international airport at Shoreham with links to the city utilising the sea for a 'water-taxi' service, and pedestrianising the seafront, sending traffic on an underground underpass - like Marseille.

If you get the chance to read it (it's in big-print), do cause it is very interesting. If you're into that sort of thing.

I brought that very same tome for the misses last time I was back in the Holy City (errm...that's Brighton, not Jerusalem) earlier this year (she wasn't with me on that trip) and can attest to it being an excellent read. I liked the ideas for the future, not that any of them will ever happen with the general lack of vision from the council...even after all this time they still haven't broken ground on one poxy stadium :angry:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You obviously haven't seen the plans for the high towers and King Alfred then...

MORE FACTS

Kemp Town was named after Thomas Kemp, one of the architects of the area.

Brunswick Town was named after Caroline of Brunswick, and was part of Brighton until 1892, when Hove finally gained its town charter.

King Charles escaped from just east of Brighthelmstone when fleeing Cromwellian forces. The pub opposite bears testament to this. It is called The Royal Escape.

Neither Queens Road nor Kings Road have an apostrophe in them, although grammatically, they should.

What is now The Level was the original site of Sussex CCC's home matches.

St Bartholomews Church was built to the same scale as suggested in the Bible as Noah's Ark.

Any more for any more?

Chutney: Eastern Road was so named purely as an apposite to Western Road.

Last edited:

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
"St Bartholomews Church was built to the same scale as suggested in the Bible as Noah's Ark."

My last two trips to Brighton I have tried without success to find this church. Where the he:censored: is it?

I need dumb tourist type directions. Even the cab driver looked at me like I had 3 heads - said he had never heard of it..

David

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
driddles said:
"St Bartholomews Church was built to the same scale as suggested in the Bible as Noah's Ark."

My last two trips to Brighton I have tried without success to find this church. Where the he:censored: is it?

I need dumb tourist type directions. Even the cab driver looked at me like I had 3 heads - said he had never heard of it..

David

Behind London Road - as far up as Boots but the other side of the road. It is bleeding enormous, you cannot miss it. The tallest spireless church in Europe I've heard.

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
driddles said:
Well i've missed it twice - so I suspect it can be missed

Ok next time i'm over I will find it - how many Boots can there be?

:dunce:

If you come into Brighton by train look to your left just befor you get to the station and you will see it.....

Dandyman

In London village.
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
What about Churchill Sq, Large One?

During the war Churchill would often be seen in his Burberry boiler suit standing in the centre of Brighton, looking out to the Channel and inviting Hitler to come and have a go if he thought himself harder enough. The square is named in honour of these marvelous scenes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here