Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] O/T Advice needed speeding summons

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
on the car, even down that hill you'd have to be putting the foot down to get over 100 in anything, in the outside lane passing everything else. you dont accidentally go 100+

on the calibration, i believe its possible that wrong car can be recorded, esp by vans. so one car going 70 gets picked up while a car passing by at 100 is missed. it may show in the photo with another car obscured?

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
An update.
After contesting at the first hearing, there is now a second date.
The camera operator has submitted a statement to say that the camera was checked at the start and end of shift over 40 metres in the police station car park at shoreham to prove that the distance finder was correct but has provided no calibration certificate. (not sure their car park is 40 metres long though).
The police have also provided the video showing the driver driving quite calmly in the outside lane. Although the video shows 106, there are no other cars in the video to get a feeling of speed.
As mentioned previously she is resigned to the fact she was doing more than 70 but is disputing the 106.
Any further advice would be appreciated.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Hang on, regardless of whether this was 106, 96 or 86 ... kids in the car, I think there's a fine line between helping someone out and making them face up to the consequences of their actions.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Hang on, regardless of whether this was 106, 96 or 86 ... kids in the car, I think there's a fine line between helping someone out and making them face up to the consequences of their actions.

They are prepared to take the punishment for exceeding 70mph but dispute the 106 and a possible ban.

If the Police accused you of something you were convinced you hadn't done, you would just accept it ?

Last edited:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
An update.
The camera operator has submitted a statement to say that the camera was checked at the start and end of shift over 40 metres in the police station car park at shoreham to prove that the distance finder was correct but has provided no calibration certificate. (not sure their car park is 40 metres long though).
The police have also provided the video showing the driver driving quite calmly in the outside lane. Although the video shows 106, there are no other cars in the video to get a feeling of speed.
As mentioned previously she is resigned to the fact she was doing more than 70 but is disputing the 106.

Take a look on google maps. The car park runs the length of the medium size Coop supermarket next door, or go take a look for yourself, you may even see the calibration lines marked out.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

But the speed does actually matter - the real speed. It helps determine the punishment. Why should someone get punished for doing say 106 when in reality they were doing 76 ( and deserve the 76 punishment ) ?

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
An update.

No time to read the whole thread but have you got help from pepipoo's speeding forum posters (who include legally trained and ex-Police and are there for situations like this and not to 'get people off' fair penalties...before anyone suggests it):

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=5

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?autocom=ibwiki&cmd=article&id=3

They are the experts and have successfully contested wrongly calibrated speed cameras in similar cases.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
No time to read the whole thread but have you got help from pepipoo's speeding forum posters (who include legally trained and ex-Police and are there for situations like this and not to 'get people off' fair penalties...before anyone suggests it):

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=5

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?autocom=ibwiki&cmd=article&id=3

They are the experts and have successfully contested wrongly calibrated speed cameras in similar cases.

No I haven't. Thanks for the tip.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
They are prepared to take the punishment for exceeding 70mph but dispute the 106 and a possible ban.

If the Police accused you of something you were convinced you hadn't done, you would just accept it ?

No, I wouldn't. My point was that it was very likely to be excessive speed, with kids in the car, and that shouldn't be lost in the search for the right speed.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
But the speed does actually matter - the real speed. It helps determine the punishment. Why should someone get punished for doing say 106 when in reality they were doing 76 ( and deserve the 76 punishment ) ?

I agree, my point was that it was excessive speed and that shouldn't be lost in the discussion about the right speed.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Annotation 2019-11-05 124922.png

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade

I agree, my point was that it was excessive speed and that shouldn't be lost in the discussion about the right speed.

I think we all agree on that and so will the pepipoo posters...the difference is, they can expose the issues with the wrong calibration that this OP is certain and adamant about, and with pepipoo help, can possibly win the case and avoid an injustice.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
An update on this. It went to Court and with the helpful advice of NSC got a reasonable ban and a fine/costs that could have been worse.
Thanks for those who helped.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here