Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T A Few Good Men event - campaign for more male nursery workers and teachers

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
You can either have equality or genitorial prefence based on sexual characteristics but tedebear seems to be wanting it both ways(unless I'm putting words in her mouth and she beleives women should stay at home and men should have priority in employment.)

As for those advocating equality do you also support equal right to choose and equal right to know? Things the left run away from or try to ban like paternity tests? What about custody?

Egalitarians or new age posers?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
So... prejudicial AND ignorant.

Come back when you can tell me about Montessori education in Brighton, and how it fits in socially and politically in the city, and what its value is to education as a whole, rather than the overly facile and hopelessly ignorant 'if it was any good it would be in the mainstream'.

boy are you one arogant cock.punish:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Anyone surveyed the kids? I think you'll find that under 5's would prefer women. Women are better at skinned knees, hugs, cuddles and personally I think you'd have serious questions to answer if you found men teachers having to change pants and nappies at nursery...
I won't take issue with part of what you say - you're right, women are better than men at looking after children. It kind of stands to reason when you think about the skills required, for the same reason that, say, men make better firemen.

However the second part of the bit I quoted is *massively* prejudicial. Just because women are better than men at child care, it doesn't mean that *all*women are better than *all* men at it. And you'd have no serious questions to ask if that man was qualified and had been through the relevant CRB clearance. You're going to have to do a lot better than "you'd have serious questions to answer if you found men teachers having to change pants and nappies at nursery" to avoid looking very unreasonable, IMO.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I won't take issue with part of what you say - you're right, women are better than men at looking after children. It kind of stands to reason when you think about the skills required, for the same reason that, say, men make better firemen.

However the second part of the bit I quoted is *massively* prejudicial. Just because women are better than men at child care, it doesn't mean that *all*women are better than *all* men at it. And you'd have no serious questions to ask if that man was qualified and had been through the relevant CRB clearance. You're going to have to do a lot better than "you'd have serious questions to answer if you found men teachers having to change pants and nappies at nursery" to avoid looking very unreasonable, IMO.

Yes men make better firemen, and coast guard patrollers and truck drivers and many things...I agree.

I never said *all* either, I have freely admitted there are exceptions...

It may be unreasonable Simster but there would be people uncomfortable with men changing their daughters or sons nappies, CRB checked or not....by your definitions it may be prejudicial, but thats how it is - which is all I'm trying to say...

Good on those people who wish to change it...I'm lucky in that my son has a Dad at home and so has a strong male role model, and maybe thats why we need more men in nurseries - as sadly there are more children out there who don't see their dads often enough, but I still believe on the whole that women are better carers of our very young people. Whether any of you wish to call that prejudiced I really don't care.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Good on those people who wish to change it...I'm lucky in that my son has a Dad at home and so has a strong male role model, and maybe thats why we need more men in nurseries - as sadly there are more children out there who don't see their dads often enough, but I still believe on the whole that women are better carers of our very young people. Whether any of you wish to call that prejudiced I really don't care.
Women are better carers of kids, no question. But when you say "Good on those people who wish to change it", that flies in the face of your earlier quote that "you'd have to ask questions of men who want to change nappies etc etc"

So what actually is your point of view regarding whether it is a good thing that men are targeted to work in children's nurseries?

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Women are better carers of kids, no question. But when you say "Good on those people who wish to change it", that flies in the face of your earlier quote that "you'd have to ask questions of men who want to change nappies etc etc"

So what actually is your point of view regarding whether it is a good thing that men are targeted to work in children's nurseries?

I indeed would ask questions of men who would want to work in a nursery from 9-5 5 days a week, administering hugs, fixing scraped knees and elbows, dishing out a little discipline, and wiping bottoms and changing nappies, separating skirmishes and reading stories. All of those things required at nursery.

Why? Becuase I rarely meet a father/step father/man who likes doing it for any length of time and so I wonder why they'd like to do it full time. This is of course a generalisation and I'm sure that there are a few men out there who could do it admirably, but on the whole women have more patience and tolerance for it.

So good on them for wanting to change it, but its going to take a long time to change what is a socially accepted standard.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells

your first decent post in MONTHS! :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here