Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nurofen

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Surely this product has to go down as one of the biggest rip offs of all time.

Sainsbury's Ibuprofen 16 tablets 35p
Nurofen 12 Tablets £2.99

Unless I am missing something, why the hell do people buy Nurofen?

And yes, I have an outrageous hangover, hence the need.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
The power of branding and advertising.

The same reason they bought VHS over Betamax, Microsoft networking over Novell, Apple iPods over Creative and numerous other products.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
If you buy Nurofen you can flash it around and people respect your painkiller brand. If you go own brand you're just going to get teased*.

*I get teased

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Why do you think Sainsburys sell it so low? They only do things that make them money, selling ibuprofen for 35p makes them nothing, so there must be an alterior motive. A bit like selling booze for next to no margin, becasue it gets you in the store, and then there is the possibility you might buy other things that make them the money.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
Why do you think Sainsburys sell it so low? They only do things that make them money, selling ibuprofen for 35p makes them nothing, so there must be an alterior motive. A bit like selling booze for next to no margin, becasue it gets you in the store, and then there is the possibility you might buy other things that make them the money.

Nope- it's just that now the Nurofen's patent has run out other people can make and sell the generic version cheaply - Nurofen are just relying on the brand now.

Once the licence has been granted by the MHRA, the pharmaceutical company can then market the generic medicine under a brand name. The company then has exclusive rights to market the medicine for the licensed uses for a certain period of time, usually about 10 to 12 years. This is known as a patent, and allows the drug company to recoup the costs of research and development of the new medicine, before other drug companies are allowed to produce it as well. Other drug companies are likely to be able to produce and sell the medicine at a cheaper rate, because the research and development has already been done.

Once a patent expires, other drug companies then have the right to manufacture and market the generic drug. However, they must market it under a different brand name, or under its generic name.

D

Deleted member 22389

Surely this product has to go down as one of the biggest rip offs of all time.

Sainsbury's Ibuprofen 16 tablets 35p
Nurofen 12 Tablets £2.99

Unless I am missing something, why the hell do people buy Nurofen?

And yes, I have an outrageous hangover, hence the need.

Don't forget Nurofen has a special chemical in the tablet inside called Nurofen. This is the chemical that gets rid of the pain FAST. :lol:
Your right it is a rip off. Its more of a Psychological thing. I had a headache yesterday and because I knew it was shop branded the headache took longer to go away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nurofen is indeed a rip off.

Mind you, I'm fairly sure there are people who still pay through the nose for Stella Artois because their adverts tell you it is "reassuringly expensive" even though it is a f***ing shit pint.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
It is expensive, but it's bloody good at getting rid of headaches, and as previously mentioned, has a sugary coating

It's no better at getting rid of headaches than your standard own-brand ibuprofen. It has exactly the same amount of active chemicals inside. I'd rather not spend £2.50 on a bit of sugar to be honest...

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I'm glad it's not just me being stupid.

Never buying Nurofen again.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It is expensive, but it's bloody good at getting rid of headaches, and as previously mentioned, has a sugary coating

I'm pretty sure Sainsbury's Ibuprofen has a sugar coating too, it definitely tastes sweet for that fraction of a second before you swallow it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's exactly the same with paracetamol and diarrhoea tablets. If you compare the ingredients of the brand names and the supermarket own brands, there is no difference. You just save a lot of money. I have to take anti-histamine tablets which are £4 for Piriteze and 99p for Sainsbury's own brand. I know which I would rather spend money on.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It is simply an idiot tax.

This.

Sainsburys (and presumably other supermarkets) have now started doing all in one flu capsules as well now (paracetamol, guaifenesin and phenylephrine hydrochloride), so no need to buy Beechams/Lemsip all in one any more. They're about 1/4 of the cost.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
I had to have Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor injections a couple of years ago and one of the side effects was chronic back ache. Tesco ibuprofen didn't touch the pain whereas Nurofen Express (which admittedly is a bit stronger than normal ibuprofen) got rid of it within minutes. Perhaps it was psychological but at that stage I didn't care and I'd have paid an extra couple of quid a tablet let alone an extra couple of quid per packet!!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The trouble with the Sainsburys packaging is that its slightly boring.
Anadin for example is a brightly coloured yellow and far more attractive to the eye.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Selling ibuprofen for 35p probably gives them a 100% profit margin.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Its emporers new clothes. The one I like is HDMI leads that connect your TV to your satellite/digi box thingy. As its digital, it either works or it doesnt - there is no middle ground. You can pay £80 for one of these, but a £2.99 lead from Tesco works just as well. However, some 'reviewers' swear blind that they see and hear a better quality from the £80 lead and those who cant tell the difference dont have quite the same refined ears/eyes as the reviewer, even though its technically impossible for there to be a difference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here