Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] NSC Winter Warmers recommendations

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Toad in the hole with mash and onion gravy is a big family favourite of ours too. Plenty of good recipies on line, just make sure you leave the batter to rest for long enough and give the gravy enough time to thicken. I tend to make the batter and gravy in shift one, go off and watch the match on telly or take the kids out somewhere and then finish off in the oven, make the mash and reheat the gravy.

If you can find beef cheeks they all but cook themselves - this is good https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/beef-cheeks-in-red-wine-with-creamed-parsnips/

On the high protein / healthy kick this squid and chorizo dish from Raymond Blanc is easy and tasty - I do have two kids who will eat pretty much anything though and they love squid. Make sure you cook the squid for exactly one hour.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01c83cj

Our biggest family favourite, however, is butter chicken. Yes, it has butter and cream in but after that it's pretty much chicken breast, spice and a bit of youghurt. Serve with brown basmati if you want to be really smug. We eat this all year round but more in winter. This Gordon Ramsay recipe never, ever lets us down. Yes, the measure of tomato paste is correct.

https://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/gordon-ramsay-s-butter-chicken

I have served this to my brother in law's fussy kids who "don't do curry" and they ate the whole thing and asked for seconds. Swap the hot chilli powder for mild if you have people who don't like chilli heat, though it's a very mild dish even with the hot powder.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Buy a cheap slow cooker, you wont regret it.

Absolutely positively definitely THIS. We use the slow cooker almost every Sunday during the winter months. Most things take about 10-15 minutes prep-time, then switch it on and bugger off out all day coming home to the house smelling fantastic and dinner being ready.

Recent favourite is chilli brisket of beef. Seriously simple, and the brisket just falls apart. Bloody lush I tells yer, lush.

Make a spice rub of cinnamon, cumin, paprika and oregano. Score the meat, apply rub then brown the meat. Chop mixed peppers, chillis and red onion, chuck it all in the slow cooker with tinned plum toms and leave it for 4-5 hours. Take the meat out about 20-30 mins before done and pull it apart with 2 forks, then chuck it back in for last 30 minutes.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Absolutely positively definitely THIS. We use the slow cooker almost every Sunday during the winter months. Most things take about 10-15 minutes prep-time, then switch it on and bugger off out all day coming home to the house smelling fantastic and dinner being ready.

Recent favourite is chilli brisket of beef. Seriously simple, and the brisket just falls apart. Bloody lush I tells yer, lush.

Make a spice rub of cinnamon, cumin, paprika and oregano. Score the meat, apply rub then brown the meat. Chop mixed peppers, chillis and red onion, chuck it all in the slow cooker with tinned plum toms and leave it for 4-5 hours. Take the meat out about 20-30 mins before done and pull it apart with 2 forks, then chuck it back in for last 30 minutes.

I used to a Spanish-ish thing. Which was basically large chunks of Pork Shoulder, whole potatoes, onions, Garlic, bay Leaf, paprika, saffron, skinned tomatoes and half a bottle of white wine.

Bit of dry sherry if you have some.

Just serve with bread.

Good call on the brisket. Cook with tinned tomatoes and make the best pasta sauce ever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here