[NSC] NSC - what it has become, and how can it be made better

Status
Not open for further replies.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
My tuppence worth:

Create an ‘invisible’ downvote feature. We previously trialed a public downvote system, similar to Reddit - but that was quite quickly removed due to pile-ons and quasi-bullying. Perhaps an ‘invisible’ downvote system, with the tally only visible to the original poster themselves, will prevent bullying/pile-ons, and maybe give the poster some self awareness (or hint) that the content of their post may be unpopular - which over time, with many posts being deemed anonymously unpopular, may give the user pause.

Maybe even an anonymous like/upvote system too - I say this as I genuinely believe many posters swerve certain threads (and posting in general, and even publicly ‘liking’ certain posts), because of the guaranteed pile-on that’ll come.

tl;dr - Invisible downvote system and anonymous like/upvote system.

———

I would also love a public live-feed of the 5-10 most ignored users, and most ignored threads, not necessarily in any order.
Again, to hopefully give users some self awareness regarding the content they’re posting.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
For me it’s a little like the Perfect Strangers Purps reunion, at times I’m at odds with the puerile nature of things, the 80s synth veneer that inevitably comes with exciting new tech… it’s a uncomfortable ride at times, the leather trousers are a little tight, the vocal range not a fresh as it was, the drum sound all wrong and the wig a little askew… and the shirts, SHIT do not get me started!

But you know, it’s ageing well, better than expected… and the moustache remains as fabulous as ever.

Yeah, someone’s driving a Porsche, but it’s not me.

It’s not me.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
What's wrong with using the Ignore Thread function? Or the Thread Prefix filter? Or a combination of both?
Useful to know these options are there but wouldn't really solve things, the way my brain works (I have severe ADHD) and the number of political threads popping up at the moment I don't think I have the willpower to put them all on ignore and stay off them. The solution always for me is to go cold turkey and not look at the site at all. I have ended up coming off most social media for this reason, because I tend to get drawn in and the more polarised the discussion the more attractive it is for my dopamine seeking brain and the more difficult it is for me to stay out of it. I wonder if some of the posters who post quite frequently may also be neurodiverse and have the same problem. Like I said its would be my own personal preference and not expecting the whole board to be changed just for me, just thought I would mention it as Bozza is asking for our views and in case there are others that feel the same!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Useful to know these options are there but wouldn't really solve things, the way my brain works (I have severe ADHD) and the number of political threads popping up at the moment I don't think I have the willpower to put them all on ignore and stay off them. The solution always for me is to go cold turkey and not look at the site at all. I have ended up coming off most social media for this reason, because I tend to get drawn in and the more polarised the discussion the more attractive it is for my dopamine seeking brain and the more difficult it is for me to stay out of it. I wonder if some of the posters who post quite frequently may also be neurodiverse and have the same problem. Like I said its would be my own personal preference and not expecting the whole board to be changed just for me, just thought I would mention it as Bozza is asking for our views!
There's not really that many political threads on here at any given time. Would be a real shame if you were forced to not look at the site at all on that account. Maybe mods could unilaterally insert an appropriate Thread Prefix even if the thread creator hasn't done so? Then you could just use the existing tools to filter stuff out

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
My tuppence worth:

Create an ‘invisible’ downvote feature. We previously trialed a public downvote system, similar to Reddit - but that was quite quickly removed due to pile-ons and quasi-bullying. Perhaps an ‘invisible’ downvote system, with the tally only visible to the original poster themselves, will prevent bullying/pile-ons, and maybe give the poster some self awareness (or hint) that the content of their post may be unpopular - which over time, with many posts being deemed anonymously unpopular, may give the user pause.

Maybe even an anonymous like/upvote system too - I say this as I genuinely believe many posters swerve certain threads (and posting in general, and even publicly ‘liking’ certain posts), because of the guaranteed pile-on that’ll come.

tl;dr - Invisible downvote system and anonymous like/upvote system.

———

I would also love a public live-feed of the 5-10 most ignored users, and most ignored threads, not necessarily in any order.
Again, to hopefully give users some self awareness regarding the content they’re posting.
“We previously trialed a public downvote system, similar to Reddit - but that was quite quickly removed due to pile-ons and quasi-bullying.”

I think the above statement regrettably continues to confirm all we need to know about the darker side of NSC 😮

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Whilst I can only apologise profusely for the demise on this once great establishment that has happened under my watch, I'm all ears...

I take that to mean that you think the forum has got a lot worse? If so, what do you think is the solution?

You may think that Bozza is a complete and utter ****, but this isn't the place to stay.

You know you've posted this from your main account, right?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I definitely think a word/post restriction on a daily basis (no idea how easy that would be to implement) as some threads can be dominated by those with the loudest voice.
It's interesting to read the views of everyone, it makes the world go round. It would be nice if they were in equal measure to all others.
Otherwise, keep going as is, some great information appears.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There's not really that many political threads on here at any given time. Would be a real shame if you were forced to not look at the site at all on that account. Maybe mods could unilaterally insert an appropriate Thread Prefix even if the thread creator hasn't done so? Then you could just use the existing tools to filter stuff out
From a personal perspective with thought to moderating issues the problem is in defining a political thread, when they can quickly change with events or where people have a point scoring agenda on a seemingly 'normal' thread.

The most obvious recent example was the Southport stabbings. At no point was that political until the protests and riot attacking the police happened at which point it was only political. The OP there, to be fair, asked for it to be locked and that was quickly done. The follow up thread was entirely political. But there was a point where the original thread was both political and also a tribute to some kids who were tragically killed.

Examples in the past have been posts that were ostensibly 'football' but actually thinly veiled attacks on Gary Lineker because of his BBC job and political views. I believe the regular author of those is back again.

Other times there is genuinely (to quote Ben Elton) 'a little bit of politics' in a thread. For example the bottle caps one posted by @Giraffe . All about his annoyance with the caps and drink spillage, with a good Barber joke thrown in. Except, that at exactly the same thing there were trending twitter posts about the same thing blaming the EU and 'wokeness'.

Lastly (for surely I'm close to the post length limit), a fellow mod avoided the Covid sub forum once it was created because although they were interested in the disease / science / spread / cure that sub forum became highly politicised quickly. Others were drawn into it at the expense of the rest of the board because of anti-vaxx propaganda.

TL;DR? Separating politics may be a good idea but it'll be up to the individual moderator to define it and not fake yellow card wavers.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Ban politically motivated threads. If you lot want to read about your glorious political party, buy a newspaper...don't plaster this place with bile.
Yes, I know there is an ignore thread function, but once you lot get at it, it spills onto other threads. Anyone abusing anyone with a different view to yourselves need to be given a timeout or banned. New or young posters won't join if straight away they're subjected to seeing back biting or snide comments.
It can be a mine of information on a broad range of subjects, which makes itself a very accessible place....UNTIL some nutter decides to go on a wind up, knowing it will upset some one.
So there.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Totally off-topic, but I found this to be a funny NSC coincidence. 🐓🐓🐓

1723649573887.png

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
If all threads had a prefix and you could ignore all threads with a certain prefix then that would work, anything else that requires a certain degree of will power wouldn't!

I wonder what the effect of ignore thread is on the discussion, could it be that with the political threads the more moderate gradually duck out and put the thread on ignore, leading to a situation where only those with extremely strong and polarised views remain. Might be why there is a perception that the board is too left or right wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here