Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC users - broadband comparison..

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
what speed are you getting, compared to that p[romised by ISP.?

I have 8 smeg and holding steady, against a 'promised' 9-14,
..through Tesco (had a v good cashback deal).

Good idea, post the link to the site you are using to check your speed so we can have some sort of standard assessment.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'm with Virgin, I get about 9mg from a promised 10mg. Can't help feeling that I could get better by using somebody else'd modem though, not many cable modems around though, any suggestions ?

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
I get a measly 5.2 from a "Promised" 40Meg Line. At a staggering 40 Quid a month from BT. Had to take the unlimited offer as I'm a gamer and well bandwith and all. But surely there has to be a cheaper alternative with unlimited downloads?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i actually get more than the providers say is available on the post code check, though thats because they seem to be reducing the expectation.

[MENTION=11729]Langley[/MENTION], it rather depends on how "unlimited" you want unlimited to be, but check BE.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Get 22mb off a promised 16mb line from du. Very happy with that.

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
40Meg deal from Virgin.

First run of speedtest said 6Meg.

Ran again:
1532011072.png

Amd again:
1532013993.png

Either the speedtest results are worthless, or I should run it every few minutes to keep improving my connection!

Last edited:

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
You don't realise how well off you are! Most parts of Spain seem as if it's 'dial up'! In a large town near Malaga they promise me 3meg but do a speed check and it never goes beyond 0.83!!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I got 9+ meg on up to 8 BT, option 2, 40 Gigs the other day. I need unlimited to, as when Jnr is here and both laptops are going flat out, I often have to pay an extra £20 a month.
I know that BT is expensive and there is a lot cheaper out there, but I have never ever had a problem with BT. The speed and reliability for me is outstanding, I am full of trepidation about switching to cheaper (maybe) and not receiving the same speed and reliability.
I know some people will now post that BT are rubbish and there provider is the dogs dangley bits, but this is my personal experience!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm on the Virgin S broadband package, which I think is 10mg and getting 9.77mg on speed test when the computer is wired. On wireless (i.e. pulled my ethernet cable out) it went up to 9.8mg! (note that the server speednet used did change which might explain it).

Picture 1.pngPicture 2.png

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
1532115412.png

I'm happy with this.

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
Virgin 50meg - wireless about 4/5meg when tested

With a wire in goes up to around 49.7 but I can't run a wire up stairs to a computer so have to go with the wireless
Seems they have done there routers with a big focus on wired :annoyed:

My 40Meg+ was Virgin, wireless -- but not going through their "Super"Hub. I had an Airport Extreme before I got the superhub, and pretty rapidly switched back to it.

I had a virgin engineer here yesterday to sort out the Tivo which couldn't get the channel guide. He sorted it by going to the green box and "upping my signal". He said there are different feeds, so he hooked ours onto a stronger one. (Probably some poor sod down the road only gets 1Meg now)
He also mentioned that the superhub has a firmware upgrade available, but recommended I should stick with the airport ;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here