Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC-Talk to me about central America

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
So, as usual I am asking NSC for advice as you always get some fantastic insight and views from here.

Which countries are worth a visit?

Is it safe?

Where to avoid?

Best times to go?

Attachments

• central.gif
    central.gif
    32.2 KB · Views: 121

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Avoid the hurricane season, especially Sept & Oct, careful in all countries especially Guatemala, Honduras & El Salvador where violence is high a lot due to Mexican drug cartels moving in. But having said that they are great places to visit as is Nicaragua - which is the least developed. Depends a bit what budget & interests are. Costa Rica is by far most developed toursit wise and safest - but full of american tourists.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
:lolol: Looks like no one has been then

What are you seeking,fine food,women,drugs,coffee,wildlife,nightclubs,nature,beaches,good hotels,rivers,mountains,sports,relaxation,fun?

nope not been either

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Avoid the hurricane season, especially Sept & Oct, careful in all countries especially Guatemala, Honduras & El Salvador where violence is high a lot due to Mexican drug cartels moving in. But having said that they are great places to visit as is Nicaragua - which is the least developed. Depends a bit what budget & interests are. Costa Rica is by far most developed toursit wise and safest - but full of american tourists.

A-HA!!!! Now you are the man to talk to. The reason I am asking is because I have an interview for a job in Mexico City next Friday. Were I to get the job then I fancied a bit of a SNOOP in these countries. Where do you live and work if you do not mind me asking?

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Mexico is actually part North America and part Central America (the southern states e.g. Chipas)

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
No thats a Cuban in Miami and do not get me started on them...

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Very high murder rates in all of Central america expecially Guatemala as in parts of Mexico but you can still travel around,

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Nicaragua is indeed a nightmare.
My next door neighbour is a political scientist from Central America.
His 6 year old daughter was at a friend's birthday party once when some of the government's men burst in, asked which child she was, and told her to inform her dad that they have 2 days to leave the country or they'll disappear. El Presidente (not the mod !) didn't like what her dad had written about him.
Classy.

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Well Ortega is a two bit, supposedly left wing, dictator.....
Wilko if you want info advice etc re Mexico City happy to help, I have lived here for quite a while

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
Well, I've travelled through both Guatemala and Nicaragua twice in the last 5 years and have had absolutely no problems at all (I didn't go to either Guatemala City or Managua apart from airports) and found them both fantastic and beautiful countries to visit.

I found the people both friendly and helpful - I did feel some anti-american feeling in Nicaragua but that's hardly surprising considering what Reagan did to them!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I've travelled a fair bit in Central America and never felt unsafe or witnessed any crime. The capital cities (particularly Guatemala City, Tegucigalpa and Managua) are a bit dodgy but there's no reason to stay in them for any length of time. Nicaragua's a must; don't miss it.

Costa Rica is indeed the most touristy but the package tourists stick to the beaches of the Pacific coast. The Caribbean coast is awesome- great food, wildlife, beaches.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
I don't have experience of central america but if you're ok with seeing poverty then it will be an eye opening experience. They all, more or less have high murder rates but then they say the same about Colombia and I feel safer in Bogota than I did in Brighton which is odd I know.

They'll have some fantastic beaches and the trip itself minus air fare will be very cheap but if you're interested in seeing a totally different culture, visit South America where everything is more functional but at the same time still totally chaotic!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here