Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC in the money

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Or could you put the %age beside them, so people can see how much of their spend goes to NSC. Might make people that don't normally on-line shop do so, as it helps power their favourite Albion board (what do you mean "brown-nosing"?)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can't see any Google ads in the top right of my page ???

I can see the big banner ad and the cd-wow Amazon etc links.

The big banner ad is a Google ad. Sometimes it's a graphical banner and sometimes it's 2, 3 or 4 little text ads. Google serves up what it thinks matches the page content and other random stuff and nonsense.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
It's difficult to get the balance right - I don't want it to be too 'in the face' as it will detract from the site and what it is all about.

Plus, for now at least, the ZTMC ads (scroll to the very bottom of each NSC page and you'll see 6 small text ads - they pay us US$110 a month for that) and the Google ads (in the top right) are likely to cover the NSC monthly hosting bill with a little bit left over. This means any purchase-related income is a bonus.

We did start work on an NSC 'Shop' with links to all affiliates we have - the stuff at the top is the tip of the iceberg, which would be prominently linked, and include things like current good deals etc but work on that stalled.

Once I'm completely happy with how the site is running on this new server (there are still a few gremlins) then I'll get back to sorting that out and seeing if it boosts income.

OK Bozza.
I have been here for years and its only now I have looked around at the adverts etc. Once on the Internet you get so used to blanking out and ignoring all that sort of crap.
After a while its just wallpaper.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Play.com gets paid by Tradedoubler. I just checked our report and a black 80gb iPod was bought on the 29th at 21:45. "Learn Freestyle Football" was bought at the same time.

It appears Play.com are a lot stingier than Amazon and only pay 2% - so NSC got £3.20 for that. Still - if every NSCer made purchases that contributed £3.20 to the NSC pot I would be on the lash!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So when are you going to stop siphoning the cash off and actually invest a bit back into the board?

Siphoning off the cash?

http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?t=118140

Where exactly?

All paid for out of my own pocket, though. No other Albion message board owner can say that. :thumbsup:

NSC was financed out of my own pocket for quite some time. But a busy messageboard costs quite a bit to run and it's not likely to be a sustainable to have a board financed in such way. As was experienced when Gary was running it, something you like to hark back to oh-so-regularly, when that person gets fed up of personally financing a board the plug can get pulled very quickly.

Despite being an absolute binfest a lot of the time, NSC has been a vitally important channel for Albion fans over the last 10 years or so and I think it's important it remains as long as Albion fans want to use it. Because, of course a messageboard without users posting messages might as well not exist.

So, if I get absolutely pissed off with things or get run over by a bus, NSC can tick along in the stewardship of someone else. And as things stand, the thought of shelling out £100 a month or so, on average, need not deter someone from picking NSC up since there's a cash reserve to keep things going. I think the cash reserve is important because if the current adverts stopped suddenly then that money will get eaten into quite quickly.

I'm not sure why you've consistently displayed this bitterness towards NSC, and I've long given up trying to understand it. Keep sniping away as long as you like. If you've got any more questions I'm happy to answer them either in public or in private.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
...and doesn't a Novogate hosted board, such as NSP, cost something like US$17.95 a month?

I do wonder if you'd be paying out of your own pocket if your £9 a month was, in fact, £100.

Bent_fishing_rod-1.jpg

D

Deleted User X18H

So basically NSC is worth about 14 Nathan Elder's a generous estimation in my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here