Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC in the money

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Well done Bozza

I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't know until recently that income was derived by using your Amazon link.

Does this income steam apply to all the links listed above. If so, you should give this a clear and bold heading so that people both notice it and use it.

I will from now on:thumbsup:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I have actually used the amazon one a couple of times - good to see it actually makes a difference:thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
NSC gets about 5% of any Amazon purchase made via that link but we don't get anywhere near as much as we probably could. These are all that have been ordered via NSC in the last week...

Books
A Dictionary of Geography (Oxford Paperback Reference)
A Dictionary of Psychology (Oxford Paperback Reference)
A Dictionary of Science (Oxford Paperback Reference)
The Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy (Oxford Paperback Reference)

Computer & Video Games
Zuma (PC)

DVD
Ricky Gervais - Live - Animals/Politics/Fame [2003]

Music
Contraband

Although the previous week was better...

Books
Dramascripts - Billy Liar: A Play (Dramascripts)
Eating for England: The Delights and Eccentricities of the British at Table
Mister Pip
What Was Lost

DVD
Living In Oblivion [1995]

Electronics
Corsair 4GB USB 2.0 Rugged, Water and Shock Resistant Flash Drive (CMFUSB2.0-1GB)
iTALKonline Crystal/Case/Cover For NEW iPod Nano 3G 4G/8GB - Clear with Neck String
iTALKonline FLIP CASE for iPod Nano 3rd Generation/3G - Black

Home & Garden
V&A WATER BOTTLE CRAY

Music
Blues for the Red Sun
Feathers
Howls from the Hills
Live at the Social Vol.1
Welcome to Sky Valley

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
As I asked above, is Amazon the only one that earns us money?
No, all of the Associate links at the top are there to make NSC money. Instead of typing Play.com into your address bar come via NSC and click on the link. These things normally pay a percentage of how much you spend, or a fixed fee of 20-50p per sale made via the associate.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As I asked above, is Amazon the only one that earns us money?

NSC makes money if anyone buys a product from any of the retailers listed above (CD-Wow....Expedia) having clicked through from the NSC link. And the click has to come from a page hosted on northstandchat.com. They might do some sort of cookie thing, thereby knowing you came from here sometime in the past but the failsafe is to click through from NSC.

Most of those links are with a company called Tradedoubler who run affiliate schemes for a large number of companies. Amazon are big enough to run their own scheme so it works slightly differently. Part of that is as long as the URL used is as per my signature then NSC will earn - the actual click does not have to come from an NSC page.

With all of those links, NSC does not earn a penny nomatter how many times people click - it's purchases that count.

(The Google ads in the top right earn if clicked)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
f***ing 'ell!! That's not a bad rate. If only I'd known it was that much I'd have gone via the link yesterday when I spend £140 with them.

Sorry Bozza. I feel really guilty now. :blush::ohmy::down:

Don't be - I kept doing it at Christmas - went to Amazon, put some stuff in my basket and then thought "d'oh!" before emptying it again, closing the browser window and then returning via NSC.

(Actually, I've just checked the Amazon account and it's 5.5%. We're 12 item sales away from moving up to 6%.

So far this month we have had 278 Amazon clicks, sold 39 items and earned £16.64)

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
NSC makes money if anyone buys a product from any of the retailers listed above (CD-Wow....Expedia) having clicked through from the NSC link. And the click has to come from a page hosted on northstandchat.com. They might do some sort of cookie thing, thereby knowing you came from here sometime in the past but the failsafe is to click through from NSC.

Most of those links are with a company called Tradedoubler who run affiliate schemes for a large number of companies. Amazon are big enough to run their own scheme so it works slightly differently. Part of that is as long as the URL used is as per my signature then NSC will earn - the actual click does not have to come from an NSC page.

With all of those links, NSC does not earn a penny nomatter how many times people click - it's purchases that count.

(The Google ads in the top right earn if clicked)

These links (when you buy) are good earners but the uptake is modest. I for one have bought loads of stuff from Amazon, CD Wow etc, but hadn't noticed the commission paying links above.

I ask again, could you not make these bigger and bolder with something eyecatching to remind us all.

It pays to advertise:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
These links (when you buy) are good earners but the uptake is modest. I for one have bought loads of stuff from Amazon, CD Wow etc, but hadn't noticed the commission paying links above.

I ask again, could you not make these bigger and bolder with something eyecatching to remind us all.

It pays to advertise:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's difficult to get the balance right - I don't want it to be too 'in the face' as it will detract from the site and what it is all about.

Plus, for now at least, the ZTMC ads (scroll to the very bottom of each NSC page and you'll see 6 small text ads - they pay us US$110 a month for that) and the Google ads (in the top right) are likely to cover the NSC monthly hosting bill with a little bit left over. This means any purchase-related income is a bonus.

We did start work on an NSC 'Shop' with links to all affiliates we have - the stuff at the top is the tip of the iceberg, which would be prominently linked, and include things like current good deals etc but work on that stalled.

Once I'm completely happy with how the site is running on this new server (there are still a few gremlins) then I'll get back to sorting that out and seeing if it boosts income.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here