Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Gardeners - Volunteer Potatoes

Lush

Mods' Pet
:hilton:

I grew potatoes in the garden for the first time last year (not bothering this year). However I obviously left a few behind as I have some new potato plants coming through this spring (known as volunteer potatoes).

Some websites say dig them up as they can carry potato blight. Other people say eat them if they look healthy and don't worry about it. The plants are doing really well. Any advice ooo arrr ooo arr?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
There is an increased risk of blight on potatoes not grown from 'seed stock'. I do not know how much higher but keep it quiet as it is technically illegal!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
you'll be roasted

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
My Aunt Bessie would never do that!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If it looks good then eat it. The spud police are hardly going to come around and nab you.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The spud cops may arrive and mash you before you get your jacket on.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Man gets sent down for 10yrs for bank robbery, but the money was never found. One of his wife's first letters to him in prison reads : " Darling, I want to plant potatoes in the garden but have no idea when I'm supposed to plant them. You always grew the veg. Help please ".
He replies : " Whatever you do DO NOT go digging any of the garden over just yet as that's where the money is hidden. Don't worry, I'll tell you exactly when to plant potatoes.
Within days half the local police force come round and dig over the entire garden looking for the money. Wife writes back to hubby : "Had a big shock recently as loads of police turned up unannounced and dug over all of the garden. Said they were looking for the money, but left without finding a thing ". Hubby replies : "Now is the time to plant potatoes !" :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here